HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:12 PM

I have heard the same speculation. I hope it is true. This would be an ideal location for them. Super high traffic area, right on the road to the wharf, to the beach and to the cottages, the downtown, other restaurants and campgrounds. Across from a liquor store. ATV and snowmobile trails to their door. Mere yards from a drive=in theatre. Multiple hotels, motels, rental cottages within walking distance. Lots of parking. Tons of room inside. An established clientel who are used to doing their dining and drinking there for the past two or three decades. Heck, even golf cart users drive there from the campgrounds and cottages on a daily basis.
If there's a downside to putting a St. Louis at this location, I'd love to hear it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I have heard the same speculation. I hope it is true. This would be an ideal location for them. Super high traffic area, right on the road to the wharf, to the beach and to the cottages, the downtown, other restaurants and campgrounds. Across from a liquor store. ATV and snowmobile trails to their door. Mere yards from a drive=in theatre. Multiple hotels, motels, rental cottages within walking distance. Lots of parking. Tons of room inside. An established clientel who are used to doing their dining and drinking there for the past two or three decades. Heck, even golf cart users drive there from the campgrounds and cottages on a daily basis.
If there's a downside to putting a St. Louis at this location, I'd love to hear it.
Only "down side" I could possibly think of is it is taking away something that was supposed to be in the "downtown" core. As far as the business is concerned, it would be a good location for them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubassin View Post
New multi-purpose community center in Cap-Pelé

https://cap-pele.com/fr/1068-projet-...rgenerationnel
Here's a better render for the new proposed multi-purpose centre in Cap Pele:

According to the village of Cap Pele Facebook page, the complex will cost $13.5M, fundraising is progressing successfully, and they expect to break ground this spring.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's a better render for the new proposed multi-purpose centre in Cap Pele:

According to the village of Cap Pele Facebook page, the complex will cost $13.5M, fundraising is progressing successfully, and they expect to break ground this spring.
Glad to see projects like this in smaller communities. I do wonder if the arena is a tad big but nevertheless, at that price tag, the community can afford it.

I do wonder though, with the growth we’ve seen lately in Shediac if they would be considering a project like this? Bridge street near the high school would be a good location for something like this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Glad to see projects like this in smaller communities. I do wonder if the arena is a tad big but nevertheless, at that price tag, the community can afford it.
Rink is really not much larger than what currently exists in Cap-Pele. 400 seats isn't much.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

As usual, within 24 hours of an item showing up on social media, a story has subsequently appeared in the T&T regarding the new multipurpose centre in Cap Pele. I wonder where the T&T gets their story ideas? Hmmmmm..........

In any event, the reporters have fleshed out additional information.

The centre will contain (in addition to the ice surface)
- a gymnasium for volleyball/basketball
- indoor walking track
- golf simulator
- restaurant
- meeting rooms
- children's play area

Sounds like a very complete facility!

They have all their funding ducks in a row, including federal/provincial/municipal contributions, and they have already exceeded their public fundraising target. This project will proceed once the ground thaws.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I wonder where the T&T gets their story ideas? Hmmmmm.......... :rolleyes
Considering they reported on it last year, and it was on Facebook in a post by the village last week, and the newspaper and other media did this story when the fundraising effort for it was launched last spring, and details of the proposed new facility were released to all media last summer, and both the feds and the province have separately held news conferences over the past several months announcing to the media that they will be partners in the project, and l'Acadie Nouvelle has done at least three stories on it, then obviously they got it here!

EDIT: edited to remove some of the snark lol

Last edited by L'homard; Jan 27, 2022 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 3:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Snark appropriately noted, and snark reduction appreciated.

You are probably right in this instance, but there is no question that at least occasionally, stories in the T&T seem to appear within few days after discussions here or on other social media sites.

Sometimes we serve as inspirations for their articles, but sometimes we simply "scoop" them because we are more nimble, and don't have to go through the process of verification of sources, or editorial approval.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Rink is really not much larger than what currently exists in Cap-Pele. 400 seats isn't much.
Oh it might be, I seem to remember when it was announced it was close to 1000. I could be wrong though as it was announced pre-pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Oh it might be, I seem to remember when it was announced it was close to 1000. I could be wrong though as it was announced pre-pandemic.
T&T article says seating capacity is 450.

This is not inappropriate BTW - this is a recreational rink, and rarely would bantam or pee-wee games justify seating greater than this.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
T&T article says seating capacity is 450.

This is not inappropriate BTW - this is a recreational rink, and rarely would bantam or pee-wee games justify seating greater than this.
450 is a reasonable amount. I was thinking it was 1000+ which would have been more than enough. 450 is closer to what you’d expect out of that size of community.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 9:46 PM

A neighbour friend at my family cottage near Parlee Beach texted me this today.

XXXX and I went up to the Bayou last night for supper. They are closing on Saturday!!! We were talking to the girls and they said it was sold; didn't know who bought it; didn't think it was St Louis; and that it would be closed for 3 months. They also weren't sure if they would be hired back because nothing was being talked about yet!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a secondary rumour floating around that it was actually Pump House which bought this location. I can not vouch for the veracity of this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 2:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This card just showed up on CCD Canada:

Quote:
A & W, SHEDIAC

CCD Ref. Number : NB165269-22-02

Stage : 4-Drawing

Published : February 4, 2022

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Small ($771,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 2-Commercial

Subcategories : 2C-Retail Trade

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

SHEDIAC (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW RESTAURANT -
Located in Shediac, Main St., this project (A & W*) estimated at $771 000 is in the drawings stage. It is slated to be completed in July 2022. Based on a surface of 3 276 sqft, works concern the construction of a commercial building for fast food restaurant and leasing space.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
- Contractor: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
We have been aware of this project for several months already, but the card indicates an anticipated completion date - July, 2022. Since this card is just now being published, I find this time frame a tad optimistic.......

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:12 PM

Proposal for the second apartment building on Veranda court

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-22-0106.pdf

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:30 PM

"Recommendation / Recommandation
That the variance by Ron Lord for a variance to increase the maximum height of a multi-unit dwelling
from 15 meters to 20 meters, located on Véranda Court, in the Town of Shediac and bearing the PID
70675509 be DENIED, because the variance is not reasonable and is not meeting the general intent of
the Zoning By-Law. "

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubassin View Post
Proposal for the second apartment building on Veranda court

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-22-0106.pdf
Did they add a sixth floor since the previously released render?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
"Recommendation / Recommandation
That the variance by Ron Lord for a variance to increase the maximum height of a multi-unit dwelling
from 15 meters to 20 meters, located on Véranda Court, in the Town of Shediac and bearing the PID
70675509 be DENIED, because the variance is not reasonable and is not meeting the general intent of
the Zoning By-Law. "
A single story addition is "unreasonable" ?!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
A single story addition is "unreasonable" ?!
This recommendation can be easily ignored by town council. I imagine this will proceed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
This recommendation can be easily ignored by town council. I imagine this will proceed.
Remember though, the planning commission was against Thrives two building proposal north of Grand Pre as well.. With similar wording regarding not respecting the intent of the municipal plan. The difference is that variance was asking for a 50% increase in height allowed, while this one is 'only' asking for a 33% variance..

Also in the Thrive proposal, they did say the decision would be the towns to make, the planning commission recommended against it.

You may have a hard time finding instances where the town (or any town covered by southeast planning) would vote against plannings recommendations. They are a tough crowd, which I can 100% attest to in my dealings with them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces