HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Lots of progress on the condos behind the Park Royal North:

Credit: Me
authentic, creative, and very much authur erickson.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:44 AM
See ya down under, mates

Some new Lynn Valley Centre renders from last week's public meeting

Untitled by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:55 PM

Not a big fan of gabled roofs on highrises. It's something you expect to see in Whistler or any other ski resort, but not in the City.

I can see why they did it though...it makes them appear more quaint for the NIMBY's that were/are very opposed to height in this area.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:29 PM

Love Whistler! And therefore this project too. It's definitely got that 'mountain village' feel, which is great.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:06 PM

Yeah, don't forget Lynn Valley gets a lot more snow than the rest of Vancouver. I think if anywhere in Metro Vancouver, it's okay to have that style up there.

Plans for Cypress Village (British Properties) also show this kind of architecture.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:17 PM

I think the gabled and wood style suits Lynn Valley - it's nestled in the woods - that also seems to be the theme that's been applied to Marine Drive.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:11 AM

I rather see more mid-market shorter towers expressed as "tall houses" as opposed to institutional-looking stumps. Only the best modern towers should stand out.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 5:20 PM
ON3P Skis

I think these look pretty great. Definitely suit Lynn Valley well. Nice to see something a little different that what is being built almost everywhere else in the city.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:28 AM

What exactly are the plans for the mall itself? I guess theyre not expanding it but id imagine theyre going to renovate the inside, right?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:43 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
What exactly are the plans for the mall itself? I guess theyre not expanding it but id imagine theyre going to renovate the inside, right?
Yeah full "high end" reno inside, talk of a mountain climbing wall and other such gimmicks. Save On moves to where Zellers used to be, Shoppers moves to where Save On currently is, and current Shoppers becomes more small retail units.

Then it's going to have a new strip of outdoor retail between a new Safeway and the old Zellers site, which looks like it'll aim more at the young women market (clothes).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 8:49 PM
See ya down under, mates

Finally some high-density company for the Seylynn Village towers near Phibbs Exchange

Quote:
Rental housing proposed for Phibbs
JEREMY SHEPHERD / NORTH SHORE NEWS

Slated for a March 25 public hearing, the 112-unit development would span four lots between 1561 and 1583 Oxford Street, totalling approximately 24,111 square feet.

The lots would need to be rezoned from singlefamily residential to comprehensive development. The site would also require an amendment to the district's recently adopted official community plan.

The project is appropriate for the area, according to Coun. Mike Little.

"If ever there was a place in the District of North Vancouver to relax some of these issues, this is the spot," he said. "This is not, for me, precedent-setting in this area. This is more like a pilot."

Darwin Properties is stickhandling the project, which is touted to replenish the district's rental stock, the vast majority of which is more than 35 years old.

The details have yet to be ironed out, but Darwin would theoretically supply some affordable rental units in exchange for the district waiving development cost charges. Darwin is working with B.C. Housing but no agreement has been finalized regarding affordable units.

Council was unanimous in their support for the project, but Little was concerned the development's modest parking lot may end up overflowing.

"I am very concerned that we are going to underbuild the parking on this," he said, pointing out that revisiting the issue after the project is complete would be futile.

Plans call for 87 parking spots including 70 underground spaces. Because of the opportunities for building residents to use transit, the project has a lower than average parking spot to unit ratio of 0.75 to 1. According to a staff report, traffic conditions in the surrounding area are expected to operate at an acceptable level, with the exception of Mountain Highway and Main Street. That intersection is expected to remain clogged due to the plethora of vehicles heading to the Second Narrows Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. The area would likely be congested "with or without the proposed project," according to the report.

The surrounding network will experience little, if any, impact due to the project.

The project's floor space ratio, which measures floor space against lot size, will likely be a maximum of 3.5, according to a district report.

In exchange for the boost in density, Darwin likely will pay the district a community amenity contribution of $50,000, earmarked for public art.

The development will likely feature a commercial component such as a coffee shop over an underground parking garage.

Mayor Richard Walton and Couns. Lisa Muri and Alan Nixon did not attend the meeting.
- See more at: http://www.nsnews.com/rental-housing...hibbs-1.876196

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:32 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Some new Lynn Valley Centre renders from last week's public meeting
Did you notice any sections at the presentation? Do you know if the two towers are 12-Storeys including the podium or in addition to?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:56 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronT120 View Post
Did you notice any sections at the presentation? Do you know if the two towers are 12-Storeys including the podium or in addition to?
Not sure exactly what you mean by sections. 12 storeys includes the podium.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM
Perpetual I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by sections. 12 storeys includes the podium.
Was meaning building sections (a slice through the building). I thought it was 12 stories including the podiums but there are some vocal NIMBY's on the North Vancouver Politics blog who are adamant that it is 12 plus the podium. I was just wondering if anyone knew definitively as I can't find any elevations or sections that actually show a floor count. I can only find perspectives and it can be a bit tricky determining a floor count from those.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:28 PM
See ya down under, mates

Oh no I didn't see that. I don't think anything's official yet, they've been granted the "possibility" of 12 storeys maximum in that specific area, along with Safeway to the west, and nothing else.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:33 AM
See ya down under, mates

Whole Foods on Lonsdale is official woop woop

Quote:
Whole Foods opening on Lonsdale Avenue in North Van

Grocery shoppers will have to wait a while for North Vancouver's first Whole Foods to open on the corner of 13th and Lonsdale Avenue.

Slated to open in early 2018, the 40,000-square-foot store will be in the same lot where Safeway is now and will anchor The Onni Group's mixed-use development, which includes an 80-foot office building and two condo towers measuring 240 feet and 180 feet.

"We are deeply committed to creating a store that serves the unique needs of this community, and will reach out to ask for direct feedback about what our new neighbours would like to see in the store," said Joe Rogoff, president of Whole Foods in the Pacific North West region, in a press release.

Know for its organic and natural selection of food, this will be the second Whole Foods on the North Shore, including a location already at Park Royal Village.

In addition to the grocery store, the development is expected to have a pharmacy, coffee shop, restaurant, daycare space and roughly 340 apartment units in two towers.

"We are thrilled to announce such a high-calibre grocery store as our anchor tenant — it is a great reflection of our entire development," said Nick Belmar, vice-president of sale for Onni, in a press release. "We know a lot of North Vancouverites will be really happy to hear this news.

Approval of the development was a lengthy and controversial process, with City of North Vancouver councillors hearing from dozens of people who were both opposed and supportive.

In March 2013, after two and a half years of meetings, a 4-3 vote by council ultimately approved two bylaws that first rezoned the 1308 Lonsdale site to allow for comprehensive mixed-use development; and second, amended the city’s official community plan to allow for a tower over 180 feet, the current limit.
http://www.northshoreoutlook.com/news/249328321.html

The Prescott across the street is pretty much done too. Looks great. Will post another photo soon.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:38 AM

Having WF and City Market replace Safeway and Extra Foods is a pretty big step up for Lonsdale's grocery market. Can't wait till the project breaks ground!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:42 AM

Hey Pinion, is there anymore word on the small office block that is taking place of that 1 storey commercial strip( Nova Grocery) at 12th and Lonsdale?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:48 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeats View Post
Having WF and City Market replace Safeway and Extra Foods is a pretty big step up for Lonsdale's grocery market. Can't wait till the project breaks ground!
Wow, Londsdale will be THE place to shop for groceries!! The CityMarket is fab, great design and incredible product range! I suppose the Whole Foods will relieve the West Van location which is always packed and as-far-as-I-know is always in the top 5 or 10 best performing locations in the entire Whole Foods portfolio!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:23 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Hey Pinion, is there anymore word on the small office block that is taking place of that 1 storey commercial strip( Nova Grocery) at 12th and Lonsdale?
Haven't seen any activity yet. It's only five storeys so it was approved without much resistance back in October.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/north-van...esign-1.668835

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley