HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:17 PM

We may be hearing about 33 Gates soon, real soon.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:36 PM
welcome to the madness

It'd be really cool if we could see Gates Circle lined with a highrise on each corner. I really can't stand Millard Fillmore Gates Circle. It's an ugly hodge-podge of a soon-to-be-closed hospital. If 33 can get built...it would be great to see the hosptal torn down and redeveloped as well. Not to get ahead of myself or anything.

As for 33 Gates circle, I hope it's long boxy and aqua colored with white balconies all over it. That'd be cool.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:21 PM

Not sure about a repeat of Miami Towers....look for stone and lots of glass.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:25 PM
try being in the Buff

word is higher than 250

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:49 PM
Trendy.

I'm hearing some number involving 68.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:26 PM
try being in the Buff

400k and 2M

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
Trendy.

The next number in the drawing is 23.

68-400-2-23

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:01 AM

I'm finding it really hard to get excited about that project, I'm just waiting for another elmwood village hotel. But there's still a little hope that they can prove me wrong.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:20 AM
welcome to the madness

Here's my take on why things are taking so long with 33 Gates Circle--after the Elmwood Village Hotel debacle, the developer researched carefully into the property and into the process and will be able to strong-arm this thing through because they have gathered enough legal stuff to put away just about all arguments. Let's consider the following...preservationists and obstructionists have far less power than they let on. Look at the Vernor building, the new Burchfield-Penney Gallery. There was literally nothing they could do...

Hey, the Sabres won, the weather is warm now, I'm feeling pretty positive. Can't wait to see the boats out on Lake Erie.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:01 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
I guarantee someone finds an arrow head and it stops the project for another two years.
^

Well this is certainly nice.

They couldn't have done this b/s sooner??

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:45 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
Here's my take on why things are taking so long with 33 Gates Circle--after the Elmwood Village Hotel debacle, the developer researched carefully into the property and into the process and will be able to strong-arm this thing through because they have gathered enough legal stuff to put away just about all arguments. Let's consider the following...preservationists and obstructionists have far less power than they let on. Look at the Vernor building, the new Burchfield-Penney Gallery. There was literally nothing they could do...

Hey, the Sabres won, the weather is warm now, I'm feeling pretty positive. Can't wait to see the boats out on Lake Erie.
We should be thankful for preservationists. Obstructionists are not preservationists. The distinction is very important

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:03 PM

I agree steel, that's why I think these people should label themselves correctly.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:27 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
I agree steel, that's why I think these people should label themselves correctly.

Who is labeling them?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:39 PM

Quote:
And as for the Aud, has there been any talk of auctioning anything from the building such as seats or signs and such?
Giambra said two years ago that the seats would cost at least $200 because of the labor fees involved in getting union workers to properly disassemble the seats and w.e else.

I don't know how true that is. When I lived in DC, people pulled out the seats they were in after the last redskins game at RFK and when the USAir Arena closed, they had people come by and pick the seats out themselves for free.

But then again, Sabres merchandise is hot, the county could make big $$$ by charging for the Aud gooides.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:26 AM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo View Post
But then again, Sabres merchandise is hot, the county could make big $$$ by charging for the Aud gooides.
Doesn't even matter if regular merchandise is hot, IMO. That's only gravy. The real selling point is the memories and emotional attachment people understandably feel towards the Aud.

Now I had only been there I think for just one game (vs Panthers in '94, won 4-1 I think), and the Shrine Circus a few times and Disney on Ice once. Too young to have any attachment, therefore I wouldn't pay for one. But someone who maybe had held season tickets for a particular seat for several years? They might be willing to pay top dollar to get that seat. Sports bars would eat them up, too.

You could probably pay for a significant chunk of the demo with those seats. I'd bet somewhere in the $2-5 million range. Heck, auction off some pieces of the ice surface floor boards as well (if they're still there), somebody would buy those as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 10:22 AM

68 units, $450k to $2 million

Last edited by westcoastperspective; May 11, 2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:06 PM

Luxury glass tower plan for Park Lane site shown
23-story condo stirs neighbors’ opposition

By Sharon Linstedt NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: 05/11/07 7:47 AM

The luxury tower to be built on the longtime site of the Park Lane restaurant at Gates Circle will be a sleek 23-story glass building with 68 upscale condos, the developer’s newly unveiled plans show.

The building would be the tallest residential structure in the region, and the condos will start at $450,000 and soar to more than $2 million for the penthouse.

“We probably went through 20 revisions of the design before arriving at this one,” said Uniland Development Corp. Vice President Michael Montante. “We believe it will be a beautiful new landmark for Buffalo.”

The project has been controversial since it was first announced last July, and residents of the nearby Park Lane Condominiums say they plan to file legal action to stop it from being built.

The $55 million tower — designed by Diamond & Schmidt Architects of Toronto, with Buffalo’s Hamilton Houston Lownie — features a two-story limestone base topped by a glass and bronze metal tower.

Among its features is an internal lobby wall covered with vegetation that will serve as a “biofilter” for the structure’s air systems. “The design is amazingly elegant

and appropriate for the grand boulevard setting,” said Matthew W. Meier of Hamilton Houston Lownie.

The residential tower would be situated on the west side of Gates Circle, across Delaware Avenue from Millard Fillmore Hospital. It is located at the south end of the Frederick Law Olmsted-designed Chapin Parkway.

Meier acknowledges the proposed tower is unlike any other structure in the historic neighborhood but said that was the goal of the architects.

“We did not want to mimic any of the existing buildings. That creates false history,” Meier said.

Uniland held an informational session for neighborhood residents Wednesday night to unveil the design. The renderings failed to sway the opinion of Park Lane Condominiums residents, who live next to the proposed project and have voiced opposition to the concept since it was announced.

“I don’t think it’s at all attractive. It’s a tall, homely, commercial- looking building,” said Park Lane resident Carol Collard, who has collected about 2,000 signatures on an anticondo tower petition.

The residents have retained Buffalo attorney Richard Lippes and plan to take legal action to block its construction. Their key objection is the height of the proposed tower, which they claim will block views, sunlight and air flow to their adjacent 10-story building.

“Once they file their plans with the city, we’ll begin an action. This building is environmentally and aesthetically inappropriate,” Collard said.

In an attempt to reduce the building’s impact on surrounding structures, Uniland and its architects decided on a 6,800- square-foot footprint for the tower, while floors three through 23 would occupy 6,400 square feet.

By comparison, the existing Park Lane restaurant building occupies 11,000 square feet of the 34,000-square-foot parcel.

Designers also propose to position the building so it is 175 feet off Gates Circle and a minimum of 75 feet from neighboring buildings. And resident parking will be tucked under the building to mitigate its impact, with space for 123 vehicles on two underground levels.

The developer also has signed du Toit Allsopp Hiller, an international landscape architecture firm based in Ottawa, to do extensive landscape work that would complement the adjacent Olmsted parkway.

Uniland is expected to file formal project plans with the city in the next few days, and it is likely to go before the Buffalo Planning Board for review next month. The developer also will prepare a condominium application with the state attorney general’s office, a process that will take up to six months.

But even when those hurdles are crossed, Uniland won’t start construction until half of the upscale units are presold.

“Ideally, we want to be north of a 50 percent threshold before it’s a go,” Montante said.

Uniland is an experienced commercial development company, with a portfolio that includes about 6 million square feet of space, with more than 1 million square feet of primarily office space in Buffalo. The company has developed some residential buildings, including three Canisius College dormitories, but 33 Gates Circle will be its first condominium venture.

http://www.buffalonews.com/102/story/73335.html

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:40 PM
welcome to the madness

A sprawley abandoned restaurant is definitely preferable to an elegant condo!

The Buffalo of today doesn't deserve a design this good--I hope this bodes well for the future.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:57 PM

I'm so happy that the design is this modern. And that I'm expecting that lawsuit to last all of 2 hours. That lawyer has to be laughing all the way to the bank, the land has been zoned for highrise development since 1920 and its a small footprint so these idiots precious sun light and air flow issues have no basis.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 7:11 PM

I cant believe that people are trying to bring up law suits against this. This is a great design and great for the area. How tall is it supposed to be? shouldnt it be on the buffalo diagrams list

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations