HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:31 PM

Manitoba electricity may flow westward
Saskatchewan deal close to completion

By: Bruce Owen

Saskatchewan is close to a deal with Manitoba to buy hydroelectric power from northern dams to meet its growing residential and industrial demand.

"There's a lot of interest," Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall said Monday at the end of a one-day meeting in Winnipeg of leaders of Canada's western provinces and territories.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...211939751.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^^^ In other words, the government of Saskatchewan has observed that Manitoba Hydro will sell electricity at well below the cost of production, subsidized by ratepayers in Manitoba, and has said "We want in on that action!"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
^^^ In other words, the government of Saskatchewan has observed that Manitoba Hydro will sell electricity at well below the cost of production, subsidized by ratepayers in Manitoba, and has said "We want in on that action!"
How can ratepayers be subsidizing anything if we are paying among the lowest rates in North America? I understand the latter to be true (correct me if I'm wrong), it then seems counter-intuitive to say that we are subsidizing anything.

If anything I'd say taxpayers are 'subsidizing' in the sense that we aren't getting as high profit return as we could be on Hydro.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Most hydro exports from Manitoba are sold on the spot market at anywhere between 0.5 and 4 cents per kw/h. Large upcoming rate increases, well above the level of inflation are because of this.

Rates won't be low for long.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Most hydro exports from Manitoba are sold on the spot market at anywhere between 0.5 and 4 cents per kw/h. Large upcoming rate increases, well above the level of inflation are because of this.

Rates won't be low for long.
Which I'm fine with - frankly I'd rather see competitive residential hydro rates, with Hydro (and indirectly the province) getting higher profits.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:54 PM

This is coming about due to the natural gas glut in the U.S. as the result of shale gas fracking technology. Cheap natural gas produced electricity is displacing Canadian hydro.

Saskatchewan on the other hand is spending billions on alternative energy and clean coal to meet its exploding demand and CO2 targets. This new electricity can cost over 20 cents per KWH. Why not buy cheap, clean hydro from MB?

Saskatchewan is also building several natural gas plants, but these only partly solve the CO2 problem.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Why not buy cheap, clean hydro from MB?
Good point.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:17 PM

Making the largest convex-steel building
Brandon outfit sets record with Russian complex
By: Charles Tweed

BRANDON -- Behlen Industries has come a long way from its early days of building quonsets and grain bins.

The company, which got its start manufacturing agricultural buildings in Brandon in 1969, is fabricating the largest convex-style steel building in the world.

"This is the largest building we've ever done and to our knowledge it is the largest building of its style in the world,"àBehlen Industries vice-president Sean Lepper said. "It is quite an engineering feat that we've been able to design and manufacture through our factory."

The building, which will be fabricated at the company's Brandon location, is destined for Krasnoyarsk, Russia, where it will become an indoor soccer facility.

The project was commissioned by the Russian Ministry of Sport. When the building is finished, it will be 95 metres wide, 121 metres long and stand 23 metres tall.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...212448761.html

Interesting article.If any one is involved or interested in fabricated steel construction.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:03 PM

Hydro to seek public input this fall into new line to Minnesota
By: Staff Writer

Manitoba Hydro says it will soon seek public input in planning a route for a new $350 million transmission line in southeast Manitoba to carry power to Minnesota.

Manitoba Hydro says it has signed firm sale agreements with U.S. energy utilities worth $7 billion. The new transmission project was triggered by the 250 megawatt 15-year sale to Minnesota Power that was announced in May 2011.

The proposed route will go from Winnipeg to the Manitoba-Minnesota border. There it will connect to the Great Northern Transmission Line to be constructed by Minnesota Power terminating in the vicinity of Duluth, Minnesota.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...213524871.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 10:59 PM
I am a typical

That will probably be completed before Ontario starts working on its connection between Northern Manitoba and Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quick, someone start a campaign to get Sandilands UNESCO world heritage status!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That will probably be completed before Ontario starts working on its connection between Northern Manitoba and Toronto.
Wasn't that transmission line, between Ontario/Manitoba proposed about 8-9 years ago?
Just to costly to contemplate?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 3:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we should be selling power to the tar sands

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 3:44 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Wasn't that transmission line, between Ontario/Manitoba proposed about 8-9 years ago?
Just to costly to contemplate?
Ontario's government is really inept when it comes to energy infrastructure. They have been working for about 10 years now to phase out coal power, and have changed their minds on what to do with Thunder Bay's coal plant at least 6 times since 2007. Our premier recently had to resign because of a scandal involving the expensive cancellation of two gas power plants in the GTA, and our green energy policy was basically a monopoly given to Samsung to build heavily subsidized wind and solar projects all over the province, which is extremely unpopular (especially in rural and southern Ontario, where support for the Liberal government is virtually zero).

The mining in Northern Ontario, which has the potential to be as big as the oil sands, is basically on hold because the province doesn't know what it is doing with regards to getting energy and roads up there. They are saying that, since Northern Ontario doesn't need much electricity right now, we're just close all the coal plants here and have less energy in general, while the industry is saying that their needs, added to our current needs, and considering future population growth related to mining, will require an increase in generating capacity. The province seems to be doing all it can to prevent that from happening, by basically holding any development back due to red tape. The largest company involved in mining here just put its entire project on hold; it would have generated over 2,000 direct jobs for this region.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario's government is really inept when it comes to energy infrastructure. They have been working for about 10 years now to phase out coal power, and have changed their minds on what to do with Thunder Bay's coal plant at least 6 times since 2007. Our premier recently had to resign because of a scandal involving the expensive cancellation of two gas power plants in the GTA, and our green energy policy was basically a monopoly given to Samsung to build heavily subsidized wind and solar projects all over the province, which is extremely unpopular (especially in rural and southern Ontario, where support for the Liberal government is virtually zero).

The mining in Northern Ontario, which has the potential to be as big as the oil sands, is basically on hold because the province doesn't know what it is doing with regards to getting energy and roads up there. They are saying that, since Northern Ontario doesn't need much electricity right now, we're just close all the coal plants here and have less energy in general, while the industry is saying that their needs, added to our current needs, and considering future population growth related to mining, will require an increase in generating capacity. The province seems to be doing all it can to prevent that from happening, by basically holding any development back due to red tape. The largest company involved in mining here just put its entire project on hold; it would have generated over 2,000 direct jobs for this region.
You're talking about Cliffs, right? I don't deny your take on this issue, but that project was also complicated by First Nations issues. What a clusterfuck. Makes me wonder what's going to happening with Hammond Reef near Atikokan. Funny thing talking about power; they also switched over their plant to some bio-pellet thing?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 2:59 AM
I am a typical

First Nations issues are a major factor, but they're a federal issue, not a provincial one. The biggest complaint they have isn't with the First Nations who are protesting the project, but with the provincial government not being very effective at, basically, anything. They don't have anyone who is in charge of negotiating with the mining companies, but they've appointed someone to assist that non-existent person... First Nations issues might be making the province really nervous about working with companies on this project (our province has a really bad history of doing anything with First Nations; it's the only province that killed an aboriginal in a dispute over land in the 20th century) but considering their unilateral Far North Act and the Green Energy Plan, it isn't like they don't have a precedent of forcing legislation upon this region against our collective will. Why this particular issue is so thorny for them, I don't know.

Hammond Reef, as far as I know, is still going ahead at a good pace. The headquarters of that company is down the street from me. Atikokan's plant runs on locally produced wood pellets. A company from California has invested a lot of money on building a pellet plant there to supply North America.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:22 PM

Well, it's a provincial issue with respect to the duty to consult on exploration projects. I am not all that familiar with Ontario's process in that regard, but in Manitoba for example, the exploration company needs to sign an MOU with the band via a government representative. I think Ontario offloads more of that onto the company itself, but I could be wrong. The MNR is in the process of updating their exploration regulations and is rolling it out over the course of 2-3 years so there is a lot of uncertainty and I could easily see Cliff's saying, 'to hell with it' while the market is crap.

You're in Atikokan? I worked for Osisko for a year and half. Lovely little town. Especially liked all of the single track bike trails out by the airport.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:43 PM

Hydro's Bipole III clears hurdle
Watchdog recommends environmental licence
By: Bruce Owen

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215197691.html

Oh oh...cue the Hydro Rates will increase posts.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:36 PM

Receding ice shipping boon for Churchill

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215031741.html

Warmer temps threaten railway

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215197711.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Selkirk Ties Sustainability To Growth As Developers, Public Money Remake City

Selkirk Ties Sustainability To Growth As Developers, Public Money Remake City

BY GEOFF KIRBYSON

Former Premier Gary Doer used to joke that the crane was an endangered species in Manitoba.

Not in Selkirk.

In fact, cranes are multiplying, as an unprecedented flurry of construction activity is either underway or about to begin in this busy city of 10,000, 45 minutes north of Winnipeg. A hotel, a hospital, a library, apartment buildings and condominiums head the major projects on the docket.

"It's unbelievable," said Mayor Larry Johannson. "We are super busy. We have housing going up and we have construction everywhere."

Read More:http://www.westerninvestor.com/index...nto-prosperity

I really am glad to see Selkirk going through a boom of sorts. It's the perfect bedroom community, IMO. Winnipeg is only 25kms down Highway 9, and the beach areas of Lake Winnipeg are about 30 minutes or so away. If I were to ever consider moving to a bedroom community, Selkirk would be my first choice. Perhaps one of the new condo's being built right downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan