HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
They look like parking garages.
That's because they are parking garages - well, half parking garages.

What bothers me is that there is virtually no significant underground parking on any office projects outside of downtown and downtown adjacent. It would seem like the Domain would be a place where underground parking was desired, so they could add more office levels. That area is a hot market for office space.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:23 AM

These are so ugly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

What bothers me is that there is virtually no significant underground parking on any office projects outside of downtown and downtown adjacent. It would seem like the Domain would be a place where underground parking was desired, so they could add more office levels. That area is a hot market for office space.
It could be that there's a lot of rocky ground under the Domain which would make for some tough excavating, but then again, Bldg 045 and the former Bldg 060 did have a level underground each. Pretty sure they blasted through some of that rock when the IBM Plant was being built, but there was nothing around the area during that time period. I wouldn't think blasting is an option now. Above ground parking will always be the ugly cheaper alternative. But without it, the Domain would have a plethora of 10 story or shorter buildings. At least they provide some decent overall height.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 25, 2017 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It could be that there's a lot of rocky ground under the Domain which would make for some tough excavating, but then again, Bldg 045 and the former Bldg 060 did have a level underground each. Pretty sure they blasted through some of that rock when the IBM Plant was being built, but there was nothing around the area during that time period. I wouldn't think blasting is an option now. Above ground parking will always be the ugly cheaper alternative. But without it, the Domain would have a plethora of 10 story or shorter buildings. At least they provide some decent overall height.
Bedrock in Austin is only about 2 feet down regardless of where one is.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:22 AM

Something tells me condo & apartment towers are coming next @ twice the height...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Above ground parking will always be the ugly cheaper alternative. But without it, the Domain would have a plethora of 10 story or shorter buildings. At least they provide some decent overall height.
The reason for moving the parking - or at least some of it - underground would be to allow for more office levels under the zoning height limitations. Putting the parking underground and not adding office levels wouldn't make any sense due to the cost.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:37 AM

Walking through the Domain yesterday I painfully realized one thing: There is almost zero pedestrian connectivity from area to area. My family and I were constantly having to play frogger with on coming traffic or being led to dead end side walks. It was a HUGE thing I'd never noticed for Austin's "second downtown".....also, those buildings look like parking garages.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

I think it's the value of the land that should determine above/ under ground parking. There's plenty of room in the Domain so it would be so much more expensive to place parking underground. why don't they just make one very large garage instead of every building being a garage. I'd be happier to see a 20 story parking garage with regular buildings around it.

Last edited by IluvATX; Nov 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM. Reason: Rant

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Bedrock in Austin is only about 2 feet down regardless of where one is.
If your in valleys, near waterways especially along the Colorado east of DT, or heavily wooded areas, the soils are deeper. I've dug down more than 3 feet in my yard without hitting any solid layer of rock but this part of South Austin has Blackland Prairie Clay. The rocks we have are also a reminder that we are on the side of an extinct volcano with an explosive history.

Limestone is a fairly soft rock, which is what you will find at the Domain, though still costlier to cut down than to just build parking above.

I do wish there was more variation with each building. The main problem once they are all built is they will basically blend together into a bulky blob. Hopefully Broadmore will help to break up the monotony a bit.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I do wish there was more variation with each building. The main problem once they are all built is they will basically blend together into a bulky blob. Hopefully Broadmore will help to break up the monotony a bit.
On a positive spin, I believe they were going for ultimate cohesiveness.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Walking through the Domain yesterday I painfully realized one thing: There is almost zero pedestrian connectivity from area to area. My family and I were constantly having to play frogger with on coming traffic or being led to dead end side walks. It was a HUGE thing I'd never noticed for Austin's "second downtown".....also, those buildings look like parking garages.
I've said this from the beginning, these are all separate areas and don't connect and the streets are to small. When built out it will be really bad for traffic and pedestrians walking looking at their phones...splat.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I've said this from the beginning, these are all separate areas and don't connect and the streets are to small. When built out it will be really bad for traffic and pedestrians walking looking at their phones...splat.
Seriously. They've got a problem brewing. I love the concept of the domain, but I see trouble ahead ....there are SO MANY unprotected crossings and dead end side walks. It was legit dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:45 PM

More high-rise homes, offices and shops set to go vertical near The Domain in Austin

Quote:
Next year will be huge for Capella in Austin. The company is headed full tilt into the mixed-use sector, spanning from Leander to Smithville.

But the main event is likely the proposed office, retail and residential project envisioned for the southeast corner of West Braker Lane and Burnet Road.

Capella secured about three acres of highly coveted land behind the existing Discount Tire facility at 2623 W. Braker Lane. The company hired two notable names to manage the development process — Kimley-Horn engineering and Page, the Austin-founded architecture firm that recently delivered the new Dell Medical School at the University of Texas.

Buildout of the mixed-use project could easily top $200 million, Capella executives said. Plans are being finalized and will be submitted to the city soon.

Providing a highly amenitized plan is essential to success. As currently configured, the project will have 250,000 square feet of office space, more than 300 apartments that will be differentiated by design from other complexes in the area, and retail to support residents and employees.

Groundbreaking is projected by the end of 2018 with delivery likely in 2020.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Nov 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 9:35 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
23 stories! Probably 300'!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 1:32 AM
クラブトクヨ

Isn’t there already a parking garage or condo already under construction like 4 stories on this lot or near it? I need to take a picture the next time I go by.

Last edited by clubtokyo; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 1:45 AM

Hmmm, that looks interesting. I normally HATE parking pedestals, especially when they account for 1/3 of a building, but the way this ties the two components together...pretty cool.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, that looks interesting. I normally HATE parking pedestals, especially when they account for 1/3 of a building, but the way this ties the two components together...pretty cool.
A rare approval by the Genral. The developers should be proud.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
It seems to me that Burnet is adjacent to the left border of the image while Burnet runs from left to right a block removed from and behind the perspective of the rendering. Ergo, the taller tower is removed from both thoroughfares by a block.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:15 PM

Is this the first proposal we've seen that takes advantage of the TOD zone around the Kramer station? It surprises me that it's taken this long. We've literally had a developer propose a $20M _new_ station and new TOD zone sooner.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Is this the first proposal we've seen that takes advantage of the TOD zone around the Kramer station? It surprises me that it's taken this long. We've literally had a developer propose a $20M _new_ station and new TOD zone sooner.
Yes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin