HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:21 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
No. The slurry wall is complete and the digging has started. look at the photograph above that I posted. The white wall is the slurry wall being exposed as they dig for the garage. They are down about 10 feet all ready. There are lots of dump trucks lined up during the day. They go in empty and they come out full!
Well, I sit corrected.

I thought they were not going to start until Spring?

Anywho....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:45 PM
Javier

Hold On...i thought they had to dig the hole first and then make the slurry wall.Don't they have to make the slurry wall as deep as the parking garage will go?It doesnt make sense to just dig 10 ft and put the wall there.I think they're supposed to dig the hole until they're supposed to and then make the wall.Is the Slurry wall Complete or are they going to make it deeper?I'm confused

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 2:30 AM
Javier

Question...Is the construction site for 10 Inner Harbor STILL a big old parking lot?Because if it is,than they're going to keep pushing the completion date forward.Its already been pushed to be completed on 2011 and possibly 2012 instead of the originally planned 2010.I Dont know,maybe the architects are trying to trick us by making changes to the design and when I say "changes to the design",im hoping that they'll make it better looking and even taller!But I dont understand whats going on and I hope they start construction soon!!We really need this!!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 1:55 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

The slurry wall is constructed when the site still looks like a parking lot. They have a special machine which digs a deep trench around the perimeter. The trench is then reinforced with steel and filled with concrete. Yes, the trench is as deep as the parking garage. In fact, it is deeper.

Once the site is completely outlined with the slurry wall and the concrete sets, they start excavation. Every 10 feet down or so, they insert "tie backs" which go through the wall and into the surrounding earth. This keeps the wall from bending inward as the earth is removed from the site.

The purpose of the slurry wall is to keep the site dry so that excavation can happen. The water table is only about 3 feet below the street. If they didn't construct the slurry wall, after digging down 3 feet it would look like a large muddy pond.

The process they are going through on this project is the exact same process that was used when the Gallery at Harborplace, and the World Trade Center in New York, were constructed.

In short, the slurry wall acts like a big bath tub in reverse. Instead of keeping the water in, it keeps the water out so that excavation can happen.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 1:59 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Well, I sit corrected.

I thought they were not going to start until Spring?

Anywho....
They are going full speed ahead because of the time constraints. Legg Mason's lease expires and they have to move!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 3:13 AM
Javier

You wont see anything rise from this site until possibly March or April of 2008,which means that this forum will probably be dead until then.Since its 4-5 levels of underground parking,they have to dig a huge 50ft deep hole and than add the concrete and everything else.So I wont bother visiting the construction site until March or April

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:27 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

wow, so much going on in b'more!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 1:17 AM
Javier

Just to Refresh people's Memory,here are SOME of the renderings of the MAJOR projects for the Downtown or near the Downtown Area.

The MAJOR WESTPORT Project W/ The 65 Floor Towerroposed

The Location Where the "Naign Towers are SUPPOSED to be:

The Naign Towers 60-65+ Floorsroposed But are SUPPOSEDLY going to break Ground in 2008 if Approved(which I HIGHLY Doubt)

10 Inner Harbor:Hopefully will Get Final Approval Soon

300 East Pratt St(50-52 Floors)roposed

The Four Seasons(44 Floors/494 ft)/Legg Mason(24 Floors/350ft):Under Construction

1 Light Stroposed

I Forgot What This One was Called,but it's supposed to have like 42-43 floors.

There's A LOT MORE going on in Baltimore Than This.These are just SOME of the Major Projects going down!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 9:31 PM
Javier

Actually,here's a better viewing in the daytime!Looks SO much better =)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

The second row of tie backs are being installed through the slurry wall around the Four Season/Legg Mason site. The machines on an angle are used to drive them through the wall into the surrounding earth. They have now excavated about 20 feet down from the surface.

Note the pile of wood left/center in the picture. They are from the old docks which used to be on the site and were uncovered during the digging process.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 10:43 PM
Javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
The second row of tie backs are being installed through the slurry wall around the Four Season/Legg Mason site. The machines on an angle are used to drive them through the wall into the surrounding earth. They have now excavated about 20 feet down from the surface.

Note the pile of wood left/center in the picture. They are from the old docks which used to be on the site and were uncovered during the digging process.

AWESOME FLIX 30 FLOORS UP!!Are you the constuctor or the photographer of BaltimoreGuy.com or do you just check it daily?Wow..they're moving pretty fast..I Mean,they have to because they have a deadline

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
Javier

Emporis needs to update their information on Baltimore more often.I Mean cities like New York and Chicago and Miami are constantly getting their information updated when Baltimore has their information WAYY Backed Up.Hmm..lets see,The Vue has been completed a little over 7 months ago and Emporis STILL has it Under Construction.Same goes for 414 Water Street,that has ALSO been completed for a while and Emporis still has it as "Under Construction".What SHOULD say Under Construction is the Four Seasons and the Legg Mason.Digging for the site is a little under half way done and that should be enough to get the "Under Construction" on Emporis.Can anyone tell me why this is?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynChulo90 View Post
Emporis needs to update their information on Baltimore more often.I Mean cities like New York and Chicago and Miami are constantly getting their information updated when Baltimore has their information WAYY Backed Up.Hmm..lets see,The Vue has been completed a little over 7 months ago and Emporis STILL has it Under Construction.Same goes for 414 Water Street,that has ALSO been completed for a while and Emporis still has it as "Under Construction".What SHOULD say Under Construction is the Four Seasons and the Legg Mason.Digging for the site is a little under half way done and that should be enough to get the "Under Construction" on Emporis.Can anyone tell me why this is?
i agree emporis is really slow with all that, i guess people just dont respect baltimore enough

but good pics again it brings every project back to the forward of my mind again

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:54 AM
Javier

I went to the Convention Center yesterday for the National College Fair and the 10 Inner Harbor site is STILL a parking lot.Im just waiting for the day where I could actually see its blocked off by fencing.Then I'll be excited.Better yet,ECSTATIC!Anyone that lives Downtown or near downtown,keep us updated when they actually put the fencing around the construction site since it's supposedly approved

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:20 AM
millard fillmore

^i doubt a project of that significance would go unreported by anyone in the baltimore area if they had visuals. you seem to hold a weekly vigil concerning how 10 inner harbor has not yet begun.

i sympathize, but your energy may be better spent, say, writing letters-to-the-editor, attending meetings regarding developments, etc. and voicing your well-reasoned opinion. you'd be surprised at what can be accomplished when you get a letter published in your major local paper (i have had three currently). spread the gospel of urban activism. look into urban planning/architecture schools. reiterating the lead-assedness of projects like this on ssp or ssc doesn't get them off the ground faster. as a younger person in a community in need of young activists, you can do quite a bit. just be eloquent and have your sources backed up.

sorry, i hate preaching, but its heartening to see someone else so intrigued by urban development at such a young age.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:20 AM
Javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoen313 View Post
^i doubt a project of that significance would go unreported by anyone in the baltimore area if they had visuals. you seem to hold a weekly vigil concerning how 10 inner harbor has not yet begun.

i sympathize, but your energy may be better spent, say, writing letters-to-the-editor, attending meetings regarding developments, etc. and voicing your well-reasoned opinion. you'd be surprised at what can be accomplished when you get a letter published in your major local paper (i have had three currently). spread the gospel of urban activism. look into urban planning/architecture schools. reiterating the lead-assedness of projects like this on ssp or ssc doesn't get them off the ground faster. as a younger person in a community in need of young activists, you can do quite a bit. just be eloquent and have your sources backed up.

sorry, i hate preaching, but its heartening to see someone else so intrigued by urban development at such a young age.
Kind of hard to do all of that when Im only 17.You guys get your sources so easily since your probably all business-people when I just get my sources from wjz.com,emporis.com and other websites.By the way,I Just recently started gaining interest on City Compilations and City Growth.I Just like seeing buildings rise up in the city and I do try my hardest to gain as much information as I can about how Baltimore will finally get a skyscraper boom like Miami.Yes,I have lived for 17 years and it feels to me that its been a lot longer but thats besides the point.I just find that Baltimore needs all of this because were mainly known as "Death City" and not all parts of the city are like that.So I'm looking forward to seeing all the development and construction of a city that has so much potential.We just dont have that extra PUSH that we need!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:16 PM
B-MORE than u strive for!

Quote:
I went to the Convention Center yesterday for the National College Fair and the 10 Inner Harbor site is STILL a parking lot.Im just waiting for the day where I could actually see its blocked off by fencing.Then I'll be excited.Better yet,ECSTATIC!Anyone that lives Downtown or near downtown,keep us updated when they actually put the fencing around the construction site since it's supposedly approved
yep, 10IH is gonna' be a monster.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:41 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I am proud of Baltimore!!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:52 AM
Javier

Wow..I Just realize that there will be a couple buildings on the rise around the same time.We Got Legg Mason,The Four Seasons,10 Inner Harbor,300 East Pratt St,Westport,and PROBABLY the Naign Towers.The Best case scenario for Baltimore is to see all the babies rise up all at the same time to show the magnitude of Baltimore.It would be a mini skyscraper boom for us.It would kinda look like Miami since they're now experiencing a MAJOR skyscraper boom!That scene would just be the absolute best for Baltimore!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Wow..I Just realize that there will be a couple buildings on the rise around the same time.We Got Legg Mason,The Four Seasons,10 Inner Harbor,300 East Pratt St,Westport,and PROBABLY the Naign Towers.The Best case scenario for Baltimore is to see all the babies rise up all at the same time to show the magnitude of Baltimore.It would be a mini skyscraper boom for us.It would kinda look like Miami since they're now experiencing a MAJOR skyscraper boom!That scene would just be the absolute best for Baltimore!
no doubt. that would truly be an exciting time for a city thats been down lately (example ravens )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations