HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Just to comment on Winnipeg Roads and their condition...I was recently in New Orleans and my lord, our streets and sidewalks are paved gold and satin compared to the conditions there. I could have used hiking boots to navigate the sidewalks and their streets are rough...and don't get me started comparing our homeless issues to theirs.

Now my time there was an absolute blast and I probably only noticed because I am part of the Skyscraperpage community.

People really need to step out of Winnipeg to see that other cities are in worse situations than we are and it is not terrible where we live. Sure it could be better and sure there are cities like Calgary where everything is brand new but until you travel, you really shouldn't complain too much.

Or I guess complain, who am I to tell you what to do.
This. I hate seeing the people that comment on social media pages or reddit about how bad Winnipeg is, but they've never actually ever left Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Just to comment on Winnipeg Roads and their condition...I was recently in New Orleans and my lord, our streets and sidewalks are paved gold and satin compared to the conditions there. I could have used hiking boots to navigate the sidewalks and their streets are rough...and don't get me started comparing our homeless issues to theirs.

Now my time there was an absolute blast and I probably only noticed because I am part of the Skyscraperpage community.

People really need to step out of Winnipeg to see that other cities are in worse situations than we are and it is not terrible where we live. Sure it could be better and sure there are cities like Calgary where everything is brand new but until you travel, you really shouldn't complain too much.

Or I guess complain, who am I to tell you what to do.
I couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing the perspective. Sure, everything is shiny and new in Calgary — but it's also incredibly bland there.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2024, 4:07 PM

https://youtu.be/UV0x2hNRYnU?si=XvOZ6vQlrfHBWsIa

This is a great video saying that "Roads don't need to be fat to be fast". Carmel Indiana converted a busy road to an Expressway with Dogbone Interchanges that are free-er flowing. And most other Intersections there have been replaced with roundabouts. The idea of having roundabouts is a good idea, but we need the streets in general to have the right design for it. Roundabouts can slow traffic down and make the road safer reducing accidents. Rather than having bigger streets in Winnipeg, we should have 2 lanes with roundabouts. Love it or hate it, but I feel like it would work.

Kenaston Blvd should take notes from this. We need Dogbone Interchanges at most crossings. May look daunting, but could fix traffic in the long term

Old Posted Oct 20, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
I couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing the perspective. Sure, everything is shiny and new in Calgary — but it's also incredibly bland there.
Perspective is everything.

I was just talking to a co-worker who lives in Calgary, and he was saying how expensive it is to live there. Our company also has a downtown and a suburban office there, and apparently staff really don't like working late at their downtown office due to sketchiness after dark in some areas.

There's obviously lots of wealth in Calgary, and it's office towers are impressive, but it's not all beer and skittles.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 20, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
https://youtu.be/UV0x2hNRYnU?si=XvOZ6vQlrfHBWsIa

This is a great video saying that "Roads don't need to be fat to be fast". Carmel Indiana converted a busy road to an Expressway with Dogbone Interchanges that are free-er flowing.
Good discussion Carboy. He raises true points about platooning.

Here's my problem with Barbell or Dogbone interchanges: They create a similar "weaving" issue as cloverleafs do, creating backlogs. See red arrows

On a freeway, the goal of an overpass is to expedite LEFT traffic ENTERING and EXITING the freeway. Lefts are most frequent.

That's why SPUI's are so brilliant. In mornings, traffic is predominantly turning left, from both sides, to ENTER the freeway. In residential areas. So the SPUI left light can stay almost permanently green giving free flow to BOTH SIDES. Very few cars are going STRAIGHT over top the freeway in mot cases. Few are exiting the freeway either. So left greens can stay long.

In the afternoon, the reverse happens (in residential areas as people return from work). The left lights allows traffic to EXIT the freeway freely, from both sides, without traffic ever crossing. And since left is the predominant direction, the most cars achieve freer flow.

Note: Diverging Diamonds create the same crossing issue as barbells, and regular diamonds; left turn traffic has to cross itself on the highest frequency pathway (lefts). That's why SPUI's are absolutely brilliant. It's basically a diverging diamond, but condensed with only 1 light. Solving all the same problems, only simpler, more efficiently, with less lights on the straight, and no crossing traffic. #TeamSPUI.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

Here's my problem with Barbell or Dogbone interchanges: They create a similar "weaving" issue as cloverleafs do, creating backlogs. See red arrows

On a freeway, the goal of an overpass is to expedite LEFT traffic ENTERING and EXITING the freeway. Lefts are most frequent.

That's why SPUI's are so brilliant. In mornings, traffic is predominantly turning left, from both sides, to ENTER the freeway. In residential areas. So the SPUI left light can stay almost permanently green giving free flow to BOTH SIDES. Very few cars are going STRAIGHT over top the freeway in mot cases. Few are exiting the freeway either. So left greens can stay long.

In the afternoon, the reverse happens (in residential areas as people return from work). The left lights allows traffic to EXIT the freeway freely, from both sides, without traffic ever crossing. And since left is the predominant direction, the most cars achieve freer flow.

Note: Diverging Diamonds create the same crossing issue as barbells, and regular diamonds; left turn traffic has to cross itself on the highest frequency pathway (lefts). That's why SPUI's are absolutely brilliant. It's basically a diverging diamond, but condensed with only 1 light. Solving all the same problems, only simpler, more efficiently, with less lights on the straight, and no crossing traffic. #TeamSPUI.

Good point. The weaving would be a little tricky for a 4 lane road meeting 1 lane per roundabout slip lane.

And for a diverging diamond, I would perfer it over a SPUI mainly because a SPUI has 3 signal phases while a DDI has 2. SPUI or Dogbone Interchange would create less land expropriation, but the Dogbone is also better for pedestrians. I always like to keep walkability in mind as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2024, 7:51 PM

Exclamation

background is old Kingston overpass, yellow lines are new ramps. They just eliminate all acceleration lane and medians of ramps, and use stop sign instead.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2024, 9:48 PM

Another way generate road building and overpass money: Naming Rights.

Instead of naming a road after some old codger who's 6 feet under, let companies bid on the naming rights. Princess Auto Stadium, Canada Life Center.... Canadian Tire Boulevard, Tim Hortons Overpass, Royal Bank Bridge.

It certainly won't pay for an entire roadway, bridge, or overpass. But it chips in the right direction.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2024, 10:25 PM

^Not a bad idea.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2024, 10:57 PM

Along those lines, when a private development triggers the need for a grade separation we should make the proponent pay like they do in other cities/provinces. Here we’re lucky if they pay for half of a set of traffic lights or a slip lane.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Another way generate road building and overpass money: Naming Rights.

Instead of naming a road after some old codger who's 6 feet under, let companies bid on the naming rights. Princess Auto Stadium, Canada Life Center.... Canadian Tire Boulevard, Tim Hortons Overpass, Royal Bank Bridge.

It certainly won't pay for an entire roadway, bridge, or overpass. But it chips in the right direction.
There is the ability to do this right now if any business was interested in making a proposal.

It's a department called Sponsorship Winnipeg and they have a list of what can be sponsored and Infrstructure and City Assets is an available catagory.

https://www.winnipeg.ca/building-dev...-opportunities

Old Posted Oct 22, 2024, 4:41 AM

Quote:

They have a few of these along the yellowhead in Edmonton. They are not perfect, but are far better than at grade interchanges, and a lot cheaper than what Winnipeg is doing at interchanges like St.Mary's Rd.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2024, 2:52 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
They have a few of these along the yellowhead in Edmonton. They are not perfect, but are far better than at grade interchanges, and a lot cheaper than what Winnipeg is doing at interchanges like St.Mary's Rd.
I don’t get why designers here insist that a simple diamond interchange must necessarily occupy a minimum of 300 acres. I get wanting to preserve an ROW, but you gotta think that creating all that extra earthwork must get a little pricey?
Federalist #10, James Madison

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan