HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Whereas he is reasonably close but not quite.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/vid...monde-en-parle
"Tout le monde sent UN certaine réserve..." Anglophone detected!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:43 PM

Not sure why you guys bemoan Anglos coming to your province and not bothering to learn French, when any attempt by them to do so is met with snobbery Just about every Anglo I know in Montreal say they just speak English everywhere, after their attempts at French are always answered in English. Do you want exclusivity or relevance? lol

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is nothing wrong with any of these accents.

We are just describing what they sound like.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Worth 10 pages in the Journal de Montréal anyway:

https://twitter.com/nspector4/status...244634/photo/1
And today’s edition has about as many too!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:50 AM

Viva Alberta....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:51 AM

I sink Qbec should just separate....I say 51% to 49% now. (PLEASE) We all have Qbec Fatigue. Enough of this Welfare State. Daddy Warbucks has had Enough.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And today’s edition has about as many too!
Odd. When Valéry Giscard d'Estaing died, he didn't even get half that coverage in the French newspapers. Even Chirac didn't get 10 pages.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
I sink Qbec should just separate....I say 51% to 49% now. (PLEASE) We all have Qbec Fatigue. Enough of this Welfare State. Daddy Warbucks has had Enough.
Speak for yourself, Daddy Inhiscups. I love Quebec and if push came to shove, I would rather lose Alberta.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Bloc Québec Member of Parliament Jean-Denis Garon was on the radio yesterday talking about his experience earlier in the day at Montréal Trudeau (Dorval) airport.

He was flying to Washington and was going through the final passport control (control by Canadian government staff at that point).

Garon says he spoke to the guy in French, and the guy pointed at the Canadian flag on his uniform and belted at him "you're in Canada here, speak English!".

The employee then said: "You're going to States man, good luck with French with those guys!"

Of course the employee did not know he was an MP (much less a Bloc MP), but Garon went to see a supervisor and the employee was removed. For the day? Assigned to another position permanently? We don't know.

Montréal Trudeau airport. Not Ottawa airport. Not Toronto airport. Not Calgary airport.

Montréal Trudeau.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Bloc Québec Member of Parliament Jean-Denis Garon was on the radio yesterday talking about his experience earlier in the day at Montréal Trudeau (Dorval) airport.

He was flying to Washington and was going through the final passport control (control by Canadian government staff at that point).

Garon says he spoke to the guy in French, and the guy pointed at the Canadian flag on his uniform and belted at him "you're in Canada here, speak English!".
Wow. That guy would've gotten exactly two English words from me: 1) Fuck, 2) You.

Quote:
Of course the employee did not know he was an MP (much less a Bloc MP), but Garon went to see a supervisor and the employee was removed. For the day? Assigned to another position permanently? We don't know.
Fired, ideally.

He could be replaced with pretty much anyone fresh off the boat from Subsaharan Africa (very unlikely to be a Chinese spy, so give me a break with the security clearance argument ) and it would be an improvement to service levels.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:

The employee then said: "You're going to States man, good luck with French with those guys!"

Montréal Trudeau airport. Not Ottawa airport. Not Toronto airport. Not Calgary airport.

Montréal Trudeau.
The airport security guys seem to have a big problem with language. The Ottawa airport is pretty famous for having very spotty French-language service availability, despite approximately one-third of the airport's catchment area population being francophones (not to mention being the capital!).
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The airport security guys seem to have a big problem with language.
The only way for this shit to stop is sovereignty. I'm sure you won't find airport security guys in Warsaw who speak no Polish, or airport security guys in Rome who speak no Italian. It's not airport security guys who are the problem.

Stuff like this only helps the sovereigntist side.

(I'm sure I'll still remember this in 2025 when it's time to cast a Federal vote... )

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The airport security guys seem to have a big problem with language. The Ottawa airport is pretty famous for having very spotty French-language service availability, despite approximately one-third of the airport's catchment area population being francophones (not to mention being the capital!).
They have a big problem with the FRENCH language.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:

Montréal Trudeau.
Could you imagine the crisis it would have created if the employee said "you're in Québec here, speak French!"* instead ?

*He probably would have said this in French...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:43 AM

Quote:

Montréal Trudeau.
Call this story BS. "Passport control" on a flight from Montreal to Washington would be US Customs pre-clearance. The officers are USCBP. There are no "Canadian government staff" involved with US pre-clearance; outside of the RCMP being called by CBP to deal with an issue.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:26 AM

Yeah, the story is suspect. We don't have passport control on exit. I guess it could have been a CATSA screener, but they don't handle your passport and screen your belongings prior to passport control with the USCBP.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:50 AM

Quote:
They have a big problem with the FRENCH language.
Well, yeah, that's what I meant. Clearly.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Call this story BS. "Passport control" on a flight from Montreal to Washington would be US Customs pre-clearance. The officers are USCBP. There are no "Canadian government staff" involved with US pre-clearance; outside of the RCMP being called by CBP to deal with an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Yeah, the story is suspect. We don't have passport control on exit. I guess it could have been a CATSA screener, but they don't handle your passport and screen your belongings prior to passport control with the USCBP.
It may be embellished a bit but extremely hard to believe an MP would make up a story about a federal employee like that. He also said that when he complained the supervisor agreed that it was unacceptable and the employee was removed from there.

I have been at this airport twice in 2024 so far and they do have people very quickly checking your passport and boarding passes at various stages of your passage through steps X Y and Z. The idea I assume is to avoid having people without the necessary documentation in hand clogging things up at chokepoints.

These are Canadians doing this and may indeed have CATSA uniforms or something else that identifies them as Canadian.

They're definitely not Americans.

Last edited by Acajack; Mar 6, 2024 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

When flying to the US at Pearson - which I've done many times including in the past couple months - I've only ever had my passport checked at pre-clearance (American USCBP staff) and at the gate by individual airline staff. Never at security by CATSA - they only look at your boarding pass, and this goes for other international flights as well. Montreal also has pre-clearance. Seems very suspect.

FWIW I've personally seen MPPs completely fabricate things on more than a few occasions so I don't see why that's out of the question.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

For the record, personally I've never been unable to get service in French at Montreal airport.

Ottawa airport is a different story. CBSA (customs) officers can speak French most of the time, but not always.

CATSA officers at security for some reason almost never speak French in my experience even though by law they are supposed to.

Literally no one speaks French at the various concessions (Relay, Tim Hortons, other shops and restaurants). Even though under their lease agreements they are supposed to provide bilingual service.

Language-wise, I don't find there is a substantial difference between YOW and YYZ.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada