HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:55 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

it's pronounced bouquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Those buckets have been under downspouts in yards across Calgary since the water ban over a month ago. Thankfully we no longer have indoor restrictions but outdoor watering is still restricted. My in-laws have a dozen of them to keep up the garden.

Not sure what’s going on in that picture though.
It appears to be excavation for foundation work, for some kind of renovation. I've never seen so many buckets, but I guess you can't have too many, and they can have many purposes.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:59 PM
I am the law!

That's the weirdest thing.

They must be saving the dirt. Is it possible they are jacking the house up than digging a deeper basement?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:07 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That's the weirdest thing.

They must be saving the dirt. Is it possible they are jacking the house up than digging a deeper basement?
It hasn't been jacked up, just appears to be excavating for more basement.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It appears to be excavation for foundation work, for some kind of renovation. I've never seen so many buckets, but I guess you can't have too many, and they can have many purposes.
One of those purposes being very dark. Several years ago a guy in Muskoka murdered his girlfriend/baby mama and dismembered her, putting the parts in those buckets. Then he stored the buckets at the work site where he was doing construction. Then the cottager discovered the buckets under the house if memory serves.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:50 PM
I am the law!

should of went with the camo design.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite...LCMO/202943910

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 12:44 PM

I was in Smiths Falls on the other side of the Rideau and was observing this building. I thought it looked interesting. And out of place given its riverfront location. First pic is what you'd find if you googled it. Some nice camera work and editing. In person, it does not look anywhere as vibrant.

I drove to the other side to satisfy my curiosity and noticed it's a hotel. And a very depressing one at that. I was wondering if it was an apartment at one point or if this style was pretty standard for that era of hotel architecture. Would want to see something better looking if it's going to be right beside the river.

Second pic shows my POV. Third is the surrounding parking lot. Last pics are what it looked like in 2013.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...s_Ontario.html

shell nearby

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 7:22 PM

Ah, Smiths Falls. We go there every few years to get out fire extinguishers recharged.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 3:31 AM

On my recent trip through Eastern Ontario, of the 35 or so cities and towns that I visited, Cornwall was the only one I couldn't wait to get out of. Some real doozies there. Though, some interesting and nice architecture too.

That one with wall to wall windows doesn't look like it belongs in Canada to me. Can't quite place the country I think it belongs in, but it does belong in a horror movie regardless.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:30 PM

Do you really think all of those are ugly? Some need to be fixed up a bit but are otherwise very nice buildings.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Do you really think all of those are ugly? Some need to be fixed up a bit but are otherwise very nice buildings.
We’ll I guess you missed the part where I wrote some are interesting and some are nice.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
We’ll I guess you missed the part where I wrote some are interesting and some are nice.
I saw that, but then why would you post the interesting ones in this thread is where I lost you

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I saw that, but then why would you post the interesting ones in this thread is where I lost you
If you saw that then why would you ask if I thought they were all ugly?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
If you saw that then why would you ask if I thought they were all ugly?
Because I thought you post was "I went there, some were nice and some were ugly, here are the ugly ones".

Because that's would make sense to post here. You already posted the nice ones elsewhere, so it makes no sense why you would post them here, unless you thought they were ugly.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 6:26 PM

You could technically interpret it that way, but most wouldn't. But because you're trolling, you decided to read it that way.

Between 4-6 of these, 6 IMO, are at the very least interesting or nice, which anyone could see. But again, you went out of the way to start trolling. I was basically showing that there's a lot of crap in Cornwall, but it's not all bad. They do have some good stuff. Which is something I've done before for certain locations and even a single property itself. And even though I posted some of the same pics on a different thread, believe it or not, not every member reads every thread, and they might only look at this one and not the other thread. They might find the dichotomy of good and bad examples here interesting.

You're definitely a stickler for the titles of threads. Why don't you go on literally every other thread and post every time someone mentions something that is "off topic".

Classic jonny24. I'm not going to bother wasting time with you again. Best to just put on ignore.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
You could technically interpret it that way, but most wouldn't. But because you're trolling, you decided to read it that way.

Between 4-6 of these, 6 IMO, are at the very least interesting or nice, which anyone could see. But again, you went out of the way to start trolling. I was basically showing that there's a lot of crap in Cornwall, but it's not all bad. They do have some good stuff. Which is something I've done before for certain locations and even a single property itself. And even though I posted some of the same pics on a different thread, believe it or not, not every member reads every thread, and they might only look at this one and not the other thread. They might find the dichotomy of good and bad examples here interesting.

You're definitely a stickler for the titles of threads. Why don't you go on literally every other thread and post every time someone mentions something that is "off topic".

Classic jonny24. I'm not going to bother wasting time with you again. Best to just put on ignore.

Jesus Christ fella, I was just confused and asked a question.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 3:13 AM

Like I and someone else mentioned on the towns thread, I wonder about the story behind dilapidated buildings. Similar to how I and a different member think the same way when finding discarded items, both residential and commercial, on nature walks, as discussed in the weather thread (but not like household waste).

I love seeing this type of thing. Not an entire neighbourhood of it, but sprinkled in here and there. I wouldn't want to live beside something like this, but it certainly adds character. A certain rustic charm.

So many falling down barns in the country. They actually make boring country drives interesting.

The backs of buildings looking diametrically opposite to the appearance of the front on the main drag in charming towns is fascinating. So much chaos back there.

Many of these are technically ugly, but context is important here.

All photos taken by me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:04 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
I was in Smiths Falls on the other side of the Rideau and was observing this building. I thought it looked interesting. And out of place given its riverfront location. First pic is what you'd find if you googled it. Some nice camera work and editing. In person, it does not look anywhere as vibrant.

I drove to the other side to satisfy my curiosity and noticed it's a hotel. And a very depressing one at that. I was wondering if it was an apartment at one point or if this style was pretty standard for that era of hotel architecture. Would want to see something better looking if it's going to be right beside the river.

Second pic shows my POV. Third is the surrounding parking lot. Last pics are what it looked like in 2013.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...s_Ontario.html
It's a recurring pattern I've been seeing as the chain hotels have been acquiring smaller chain portfolios or "refreshing" older locations.

Neutral ("You can't offend anyone if it's platinum white or any number of shades of grey") colors.
Shabby decorating.
Carpet deletes.
Low quality plaster/masonry.
Inconsistent design alterations that do not match an earlier style.
Sloppy painting.
Removal of high-maintenance foliage and outdoor features such as lighting, patios, pools or fountains.

Some searching finds that from a post card it was previously the Mariners Inn and had a MUCH more appropriate color theme.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That bottom shot depicts a much more pleasant looking hotel building than the top shot.

In attempting to beautify the building, they uglified the building.

the uglification of Canada

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 3:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

megadude, where were those shots taken?

Ugliest one of the lot:
Quote:
Most of the others are dilapidated. This one is ugly on purpose.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
megadude, where were those shots taken?

Ugliest one of the lot:

Most of the others are dilapidated. This one is ugly on purpose.
They were spread out amongst the many towns I stopped in on my tour of Eastern Ontario. That other one you're talking about is in Belleville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada