HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
NY Times among others are reporting a Taiwanese company will be building a $12 billion chip plant in AZ. 1500 jobs. Any chance it's in Tucson? Probably Goodyear or some other terrible west valley spot but I can hope.
According to KGUN "The factory will be in Phoenix. Locations are being evaluated currently."

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...or-new-factory

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 9:32 PM

[QUOTE]According to KGUN "The factory will be in Phoenix. Locations are being evaluated currently."[/UNQUOTE]

Of course it will be.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 6:31 PM

The renovation and construction on the Flash TV development (6th Ave, south of 5 Points) is well underway. 50ish apartments in total with some street level retail.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:21 PM

Farhang & Medcoff is looking to renovate 100 S. Church, the old Visit Tucson building on the corner of Church and Broadway. Being a La Placita remnant, there's only so much they can do with it architecturally but it looks like a good project that'll get rid of an eyesore.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:24 AM

So, UA halted most construction projects but, as far as I know, existing contracts could be fulfilled. Thus, we have renderings for the Applied Research Building and, wait for this one, the Grand Challenges Building.

This looks amazing.

EDIT: Found a video for the Grand Challenges building.

https://youtu.be/v70brKPUrI0

Would prefer more variation in the overall massing (just looks like a box from afar) but still impressive up close.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
So, UA halted most construction projects but, as far as I know, existing contracts could be fulfilled. Thus, we have renderings for the Applied Research Building and, wait for this one, the Grand Challenges Building.

EDIT: Found a video for the Grand Challenges building.

https://youtu.be/v70brKPUrI0

Would prefer more variation in the overall massing (just looks like a box from afar) but still impressive up close.
Although we now have some renderings, UA has removed construction schedule timelines for their three projects scheduled to break ground this year (although I have left them in my Google map listings), underscoring the financial uncertainty the university is facing for the immediate future.

On another note, my Google map for Tucson Development Projects has just surpassed 30k views in a little over a year, so it looks like there's plenty of interest in tracking development news, even as we head into what looks like a slowdown in local development.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
On another note, my Google map for Tucson Development Projects has just surpassed 30k views in a little over a year, so it looks like there's plenty of interest in tracking development news, even as we head into what looks like a slowdown in local development.
29k of those are me

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 4:57 AM

Was surprised to see the corner of Broadway and Rosemont razed already. I know there was talks awhile back about a market going in there. Here is the link:

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/08/02/broadwa...major-changes/

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=andrewsaturn;8930377]Was surprised to see the corner of Broadway and Rosemont razed already. I know there was talks awhile back about a market going in there. Here is the link:

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/08/02/broadwa...major-changes/

The link you provide notes that the market has been changed to a micro-hospital which is what I last remember hearing about.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:23 PM

Watched most of the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. As we know, 75 E Broadway is moving forward. Based on my calculations, it should be 19 or 20 floors. Marcel Dabdoub reported that they've secured 80% of their financing and the other 20% should be secured this week with paperwork finalized over the next month.

The Bautista is also moving forward and Rio Nuevo financed their portion this month.

Finally, although not on the agenda, it was reported that 1 S Church is moving forward as well and they'll be in front of City Council, I believe requesting GPLET abatement, on June 9th.

There was some other business but these were the bigger projects that came up.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Watched most of the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. As we know, 75 E Broadway is moving forward. Based on my calculations, it should be 19 or 20 floors. Marcel Dabdoub reported that they've secured 80% of their financing and the other 20% should be secured this week with paperwork finalized over the next month.

The Bautista is also moving forward and Rio Nuevo financed their portion this month.

Finally, although not on the agenda, it was reported that 1 S Church is moving forward as well and they'll be in front of City Council, I believe requesting GPLET abatement, on June 9th.

That's great news! Was there an update on construction timelines for the Bautista or 75 E. Broadway? The last I had heard was this summer for the Bautista but I can't find any project documents on PRO.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
That's great news! Was there an update on construction timelines for the Bautista or 75 E. Broadway? The last I had heard was this summer for the Bautista but I can't find any project documents on PRO.
Not really much discussion of Bautista other than the statement that it was financed. For 75 E Broadway, the only schedule info mentioned was related to the fact that all the existing agreements will have to be revised. No hard timelines, though.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 10:54 PM

I heard a rumor that Raytheon is looking for a downtown Tucson presence in the next few years. Could mean 100s of people. I wonder if it is enough to fill the commercial portion of 75 E Broadway? Another option could be 101 Linda over in the Mercado. Months ago, the developer claimed they had a tenant closing to signing for that building.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:11 AM

Reid Park Zoo

It appears Reid Park is starting its phase one of a 10 year master renovation plan that includes expanding its footprint into a portion of the park area. It is bittersweet to see this move forward as the park will lose one of its two ponds.
https://reidparkzoo.org/future/

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The first phase will have an "Asia" themed area expected to be completed in 2022.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:00 PM

Was there ever any update of the Speedway-Campbell Gateway project? Or was that shelved?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadedos View Post
Was there ever any update of the Speedway-Campbell Gateway project? Or was that shelved?
Couldnt find any updates online but the rezoning was approved back in 2018 to construct the 20 story building.

https://www.kold.com/story/38463667/...roval-near-ua/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 10:00 PM

Luxury Casitas Proposed for Tucson

Proposal on Catalina Hwy just north of Tanque Verde.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:08 PM

The Graduate Hotel Tucson is almost completed. Their website says they are accepting reservations for Oct 24th and beyond.

https://www.graduatehotels.com/tucso...gallery/hotel/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 1:27 AM
Skyriser

I haven't gone through the Speedway/Campbell project as much as I'd like (264 page PUD in four parts is a bit much) but what's actually programmed for the tower portion? Those floorplates look skinny for office. Surprised they didn't do Class A apartments or something in the project as well for its proximity to TMC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest