HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
How about Varsity Stadium or York if not move them to Guelph or London
I don't think that is suddenly going to solve their fan problem. They need stability (staying at BMO) and someone running them who actually gives a shit.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:55 PM

Their season ticket base is so small that BMO is too big for them currently. If mlse is willing to keep paying the bills get them in an atmosphere where its a full stadium to rebuild their season ticket base

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Their season ticket base is so small that BMO is too big for them currently. If mlse is willing to keep paying the bills get them in an atmosphere where its a full stadium to rebuild their season ticket base
A stadium without modern amenities won't help much attracting new fans or give them the revenue from high end seats.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:19 PM

Or move the team to Hamilton and share Tim Hortons field like the NY jets and Giants do at metlife stadium in New Jersey. There are more cfl fans in the hammer and golden horseshoe gta than are in Toronto itself anyway.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:50 PM

Dave Naylor pointed out the Blue Bombers have lost only 1 meaningful game since Zach Collaros became the Bombers QB in 2019. Dude is clutch and a perfect match for this team.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 9:03 PM
arf

Quote:
Dave Naylor pointed out the Blue Bombers have lost only 1 meaningful game since Zach Collaros became the Bombers QB in 2019. Dude is clutch and a perfect match for this team.
I totally misread that trade when it happened. I was glad to be rid of Collaros because of injury issues. But Winnipeg has protected him and he's done well.

I just want the Argonauts to play in some atmosphere at their games. It sucks to see them like this.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:03 PM

Collaros has dramatically exceeded my expectations... I doubt anyone thought that at this point he'd be where he is. I figured he was a stop-gap to get the Bombers through the Nichols and Streveler injuries in late 2019.

On the other hand, Macleod Bethel Thompson seems more suited to a backup role than as a starter in Toronto. He had his moments last night but I don't know that he's the guy you want to go all in on.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:05 PM

OK, time for this week's picks.

Calgary @ Edmonton: Calgary is on a roll and gaining momentum, meanwhile Edmonton barely squeaked by an east division team. I'll take the Stamps.

Ottawa @ Saskatchewan: Mediocre Ottawa is going to have its hands full against a Rider team that is hitting its stride. Saskatchewan.

Winnipeg @ BC: Huge early season showdown between the league's top teams. This is a tough one... my head says that Rourke and Co. keep the party going at home, but my heart says the underdog Bombers find a way to pull off the upset. Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:09 PM

Edmonton Elks just announced kids 12 and under will be allowed in free to games for the rest of the season. Cough Cough Argos try this as you have the empty seats available for kids.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:38 PM

Are the Bombers actual underdogs against BC?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:50 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OK, time for this week's picks.

Calgary @ Edmonton: Calgary is on a roll and gaining momentum, meanwhile Edmonton barely squeaked by an east division team. I'll take the Stamps.

Ottawa @ Saskatchewan: Mediocre Ottawa is going to have its hands full against a Rider team that is hitting its stride. Saskatchewan.

Winnipeg @ BC: Huge early season showdown between the league's top teams. This is a tough one... my head says that Rourke and Co. keep the party going at home, but my heart says the underdog Bombers find a way to pull off the upset. Winnipeg.
Only one pick in common this week. Time to separate the men from the boys.

I'll probably be picking up my Hot Wheels cars in a huff on Monday.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Bombers are listed as +120 on FanDuel. It is weird to see them as underdogs, but they are playing on the road, against a hot team...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:54 PM

Bombers beat up BC pretty good last year but this is a very different BC team this year so tough to say how it will play out. So far this year Bombers have had no success running the ball which is frustrating

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 8:55 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Edmonton Elks just announced kids 12 and under will be allowed in free to games for the rest of the season. Cough Cough Argos try this as you have the empty seats available for kids.
That's awesome!

Love the idea to get more families in there, they will get some revenue from food/bev and make it a more entertaining event.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Only one pick in common this week. Time to separate the men from the boys.

I'll probably be picking up my Hot Wheels cars in a huff on Monday.
Oh man, you give me too much credit. I don't think my record would be much different if I used this technique to make my picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That's awesome!

Love the idea to get more families in there, they will get some revenue from food/bev and make it a more entertaining event.
Agreed, it is a good idea. Free kids tickets exposed me to my first live CFL action. Doubtful that I would have gotten into it without that first taste at a young age.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:21 PM

Alouettes fire HC Khari Jones and DC Barron Miles, bring in Danny Maciocia.

Seems a little rash to me, but I guess the Als know what they're doing...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:23 PM

Alouettes just fired Khari Jones

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/06/m...m-khari-jones/

Montreal Alouettes’ GM Danny Maciocia takes over head coaching duties from Khari Jones

Danny Maciocia has replaced Khari Jones as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes.

“This kind of decision is always difficult to make, but we felt that we needed to make it early in the season while there is still time,” said Maciocia in a statement. “We want to thank Khari Jones and Barron Miles for their work, and wish them the best in the future.”

The Alouettes have started the regular season with a 1-3 and are currently on a bye week. Montreal lost to the Saskatchewan Roughriders by a score of 41-20 this past week at Mosaic Stadium.

Maciocia was hired as the team’s general manager in January 2020 following a nine-year stint as the head coach of the Université de Montréal Carabins. He posted a 57-16-0 record at the U Sports level, winning one Vanier Cup championship and three Dunsmore Cups.

The Montreal native began his professional coaching career with the Als in 1996 as a quality control coach. He became the team’s offensive coordinator in 2001 before serving in the same role with Edmonton for three seasons (2002-04). He was promoted to the role of head coach in 2005 and won a Grey Cup that same year.

Maciocia added the title of general manager in 2007 and held both roles for two seasons until he resigned as head coach with a 33-38-1 record. He stayed on as GM until he was fired in July 2010 following a 1-4 start to the season.

Montreal also fired defensive coordinator Barron Miles and replaced him with longtime CFL assistant coach Noel Thorpe. This will be the Vancouver native’s third stint with the team as he began his CFL coaching career as Montreal’s special teams coordinator (2002-07) before returning to serve as their defensive coordinator (2013-17).

Thorpe most recently served as the defensive coordinator of the Edmonton Elks (2020-21) following a two-year stint with the Ottawa Redblacks (2018-19).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Only 4 rest days for the Bombers between games. BC will have their full 6 rest days or more between the upcoming game and their previous games.

Based on past seasons, teams with short rest weeks usually lose the vast majority of their games, assuming their opponents have received a full week's rest. Factor in some key injuries for the Bombers the past few weeks and this further solidifies their underdog status for this weekend's game.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:13 AM

^ Good point... it would have been a close enough call even without that factor, but the short turnaround for the Bombers this week definitely hinders them. I wonder if we'll see more Johnny Augustine and some other fresh faces as a result.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:41 AM

BC had a short week last week playing on a Thursday and traveling across the country and 3 time zones ahead. Amazing we won that one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada