HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:04 PM

That’s the key. Don’t eat too often due to it not being as healthy as other options and to not get sick of it. Same with pizza. Tonnes of promos out there where you can get XL and get multiple meals for 5 bucks or under. But I try to keep that to twice a month. Swiss too. Twice a month at most. Then there’s pasta which you can do dirt cheap on a per meal basis

I also like the $14 salads from Metro. I can portion that into three. Turn into four if I add something else on the side. Metro wraps and sandwiches for $5.50 I can turn into three meals if I get two of them. They’re decent.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 19, 2021 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Burger King is also visibly dying here. I don't know how the location near me survives.

A&W is doing great though and is even expanding.

Harvey's is stagnant.

McDonald's is very stable, as is Tim Hortons.

Wendy's doesn't have much of a presence here.
From the land of the Big Nickel:

BK is down to one location near the rougher part of town here. That location seemingly does well, for reasons. The other ones in the suburbs have folded. I have fond memories of BK, but I suspect they're due to the post-bar visits rather than the quality of the food.

Weirdly enough, the KFC in the roughest part of town became an trendy vegan taco place (Tuco's Tacos). Yay gentrification?

Harvey's sort of continues. It's a very '90s feel; lots of nostalgia vibes. I'm not sure that portends good things.

McDonalds, A&W and Wendy's are doing well. Tim's in Sudbury is a licence to print money.

The local fast food place (Deluxe Hamburgers) that predates everybody else has one location that's doing well and another that's closed. I've tried to like the place, but it's old-school in the 'classic fast-food' way. Which is to say, um, things have improved since back in the day.

For all this conversation, I'm not really a 'fast food' kind of person. I will drop into Osmow's on occasion - that's pretty decent.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The problem with SC is the high sodium content (and eating out in general.) I've figured out how to turn a $10 chicken into 6-7 meals: twice a month so I don't get sick of chicken.
I knew a person who drank the sauce SC gave with meals. Not dipped, drank. I informed him that I'd like to be in his will as I'd likely be collecting in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
It's not Spadina (Chinatown) quality, but it's equal or better that a lot of Suburban places outside of Markham and Richmond Hill.
Pedantic nitpick: you've got your hierarchy backwards. As a classic ethnoburb, Markham is ground zero for great Chinese food in the GTA (hell, Canada). Spadina is a legacy Chinatown with a fun vibe, especially since it's right next door to Kensington Market, but it's not really a food destination anymore.

More specifically, from what I've seen and heard, Spadina is more of a vague "let's get Chinese" kind of place for people who live downtown, whereas Markham, with its myriad options, is a "let's get <insert specific regional Chinese cuisine or specialty>" destination for the entire GTA.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:29 PM
Registered Drug User

So is Burger King on its way in or out? They're opening one in Stratford to great excitement. While I was at the U of Winnipeg I ate at the one on Portage across from Vimy Ridge Park in Winnipeg more often than I care to admit, either stumbling over with a hangover or just being too lazy to cook for myself.

A couple years ago I stopped at one in KW out of nostalgia. I couldn't finish it. Warmed over crap, it was. And what is it with obviously artificial-tasting french fries at fast food places? I think the only junk food place that does fries decently is Wendy's. Or maybe A&W. Actually, the waffle fries at Chick-fil-A are light and fluffy, a real innovation over standard fare.

The rest, though? Awful. I think the worst are at Harvey's. They just don't taste like potatoes.

My seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of fast food should not be construed as evidence that I indulge in it too much, I hasten to add (out of shame).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Pedantic nitpick: you've got your hierarchy backwards. As a classic ethnoburb, Markham is ground zero for great Chinese food in the GTA (hell, Canada). Spadina is a legacy Chinatown with a fun vibe, especially since it's right next door to Kensington Market, but it's not really a food destination anymore.
There are still plenty of great food places in Chinatown these days but it's definitely being diluted by creeping gentrification and a displacement of the local ethnic population to Scarborough, Markham, etc. A bit similar to how NYC's Chinatown has effectively been moved out of Manhattan and to Queens, although much less in scale. Chinatown is still very active for most things Asian that anyone may like. Two notable places in Chinatown that I like (which also have locations in Scarborough and Markham, I guess) are Yin Ji Chang Fen (Cantonese rice rolls) and Long Time No See BBQ. And staples like New Ho King, Swatow, and House of Gourmet are always reliable.

I will say, though, that Yonge street south of Bloor has become much more Asian in recent years.

Quote:
More specifically, from what I've seen and heard, Spadina is more of a vague "let's get Chinese" kind of place for people who live downtown, whereas Markham, with its myriad options, is a "let's get <insert specific regional Chinese cuisine or specialty>" destination for the entire GTA.
Chinatown is, like, where white people get Chinese food, and Markham is where you'll find a lot of Chinese getting food. Places like Rol San and Pho Hung are hot spots for non-Chinese looking to get authentic Chinese food. They're still good places, but even more recently i've heard people saying that East Chinatown (Broadview & Gerrard) is a more authentic and humble area for Chinese goods and food than Spadina.

Markham and Scarborough-Agincourt have some of the best Chinese places you'll find in North America, so...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:59 PM
Registered Drug User

Sure, Spadina's still groovy. King's Noodle right at Dundas and Spadina has been a go-to place for my wife and I for years. If I'm close enough to downtown I'll make a point of stopping there to get BBQ duck and "Stir-Fried Turnip Cake Singapore Style (星洲蘿蔔糕)" to take home to my wife for a treat.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Sure, Spadina's still groovy. King's Noodle right at Dundas and Spadina has been a go-to place for my wife and I for years. If I'm close enough to downtown I'll make a point of stopping there to get BBQ duck and "Stir-Fried Turnip Cake Singapore Style (星洲蘿蔔糕)" to take home to my wife for a treat.
Walked by there a few days ago and all the lights were off and doors locked and I spun around exceptionally fast to find a sign that read 'CLOSED FOR DAY'. Nearly had a heart attack.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I have a soft spot for Harveys. Harveys and A&W are my go-to burger chains, when I am looking for cheap burgers. Farther down the list would be Wendys. Burger Thing at the bottom (only eaten during my bar hopping days, which lasted a long time but alas, are long finished), followed by Rotten Ronnies.
5-guys burgers are better still. And Burger's Priest (yum).
Popeye's makes a great chicken sandwich.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

I've always liked St. Huberts as well and almost always gotta have it once when I'm in QC because of the good value for rotisserie. Wasn't aware of any other chains. Guess I'll have to try if I come across one.

Scores is a sit-down chain that's a bit of St-Hubert knockoff, though their menu is a bit more varied. It's not too bad for a chain.

Other places: Benny, Au Coq, Rôtisserie Fusée. Mostly takeout or order at a counter and eat in a cafeteria-style dining room.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I have a soft spot for Harveys. Harveys and A&W are my go-to burger chains, when I am looking for cheap burgers. Farther down the list would be Wendys. Burger Thing at the bottom (only eaten during my bar hopping days, which lasted a long time but alas, are long finished), followed by Rotten Ronnies.
Popeye's chicken nuggets are also really good. Real chicken and super crispy breading. They're owned by the same company as Tim Horton's apparently, so go figure.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 12:27 AM

Anybody else hearing Sandra Bullock explaining why all the restaurants are Taco Bell?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 3:57 PM

^ No

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I have to agree with you on all of that. Living in Timmins, we don't have Five Guys or Burger's Priest and had Burger King from 1999-2005. But A&W and Wendy's have some temporary items that I like. I will go to Wendy's because it has things that are not deep fried. Cravings will include their chili and cheese nachos, baked potato, grilled chicken wrap and Jr Bacon Cheeseburger all of which are quite inexpensive. A&W isn't cheap but my wife wants me to take her there for breakfast once in awhile and their burgers and fries seem to contain quality ingredients.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Scores is a sit-down chain that's a bit of St-Hubert knockoff, though their menu is a bit more varied. It's not too bad for a chain.

Other places: Benny, Au Coq, Rôtisserie Fusée. Mostly takeout or order at a counter and eat in a cafeteria-style dining room.
The first time I ate at Scores was in Ottawa and I was much younger and went crazy at the all you can eat salad bar. I no longer do serve yourself salad bars and buffets. The last time I ate at Scores was in 2019 in St-Jerome QC on New Years Eve because it was the only place open within walking distance. I ordered take-out and it was pretty good for our New Year's party in our hotel room. We ordered appetizers along with chicken wings and caesar salad.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 6:45 AM

Quote:
So is Burger King on its way in or out? They're opening one in Stratford to great excitement. While I was at the U of Winnipeg I ate at the one on Portage across from Vimy Ridge Park in Winnipeg more often than I care to admit, either stumbling over with a hangover or just being too lazy to cook for myself.

A couple years ago I stopped at one in KW out of nostalgia. I couldn't finish it. Warmed over crap, it was. And what is it with obviously artificial-tasting french fries at fast food places? I think the only junk food place that does fries decently is Wendy's. Or maybe A&W. Actually, the waffle fries at Chick-fil-A are light and fluffy, a real innovation over standard fare.

The rest, though? Awful. I think the worst are at Harvey's. They just don't taste like potatoes.

My seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of fast food should not be construed as evidence that I indulge in it too much, I hasten to add (out of shame).
Wendys changed their fries recently and the new ones are awful, they are similar to the BK fries, they have a coating on them to make them stay "crisp" longer but it has altered the taste, Wendy's older fries before the sea salt version were the best, the sea salt ones were ok and better than most places.

I like Five Guys fries the most, and Triple O's are good if you order them well done.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 6:50 AM

Church's Chicken is expanding in Canada and the Maritimes will be getting some locations. They use crinkle-cut fries and are really quite good, even when they cool off they are still tasty. The chicken is best when it's hot, I don't like it cold, like you can put leftover KFC in the fridge and eat it the next day cold and it still tastes good but Church's cold is just not that great. Their biscuits are really good too and their nuggets or tenders are also good

Church's Texas Chicken announces more Canadian expansion plans

Quote:
“We have added new franchisees to British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario. We will focus on Manitoba and the Maritimes next!”

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/chur...nada-expansion

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:17 PM

I haven't touched Popeye's since maybe 12-15 years ago. It was just oozing grease then and that turned me off. Four years ago, my niece and nephew were going there with their dad to try for the first time. I cautioned them about how greasy it was, assuming nothing had changed. Next time I saw them, they both said they didn't finish because it was disgustingly greasy. Mind you, their mother is into organic this and organic that so at home they usually ate very healthy so perhaps their stomachs weren't prepared.

So has Popeye's changed over the years? The talk about the chicken sandwich reminded me that I wanted to try one. Last night I was out shopping and KFC was in the plaza so I opened the app and saw a deal for their classic chicken sandwich for 4 bucks. I was satisfied. That alone was enough. If I got the fries on the side I probably would have forced myself to eat them so as to not go to waste and then put on a couple pounds. I am still hesitant to try the Popeye's chicken pieces.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 21, 2021 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:55 PM

Popeyes is like a once a year guilty pleasure to me. Indeed it’s insanely greasy but it’s gooood..

For fast food indeed Harvey’s and A&W are the best. Harvey’s always has coupons which makes it very affordable too.

I go to McDs more than I would like to admit mostly for convenience and old habits from my teenage years when it was the only fast food place in the town I grew up in, but I stick to cheap menu items only and use their frequent coupons on their app. I refuse to pay $11 for a Big Mac combo as it’s just a rip off for the food quality.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 2:13 PM

I can't even remember the last time I paid full price for any fast food. All about the coupons, value menu and app to me as well. If I'm going to pay $10+ for a burger or sandwich then I get that from proper burger and sandwich joints. And some sandwiches are so loaded that I split it with my wife and we're good. Or get fries/soup/salad on the side and we're definitely good.

Harvey's is the closest fast food joint to "real food" for me. I get it 2-3 times a month. They are conveniently located on the way to many places I go. It's also my three year old's favourite nuggets. Since she was 2 she has preferred that over McDs, Wendy's and BK.

Thank God for apps (when they function properly). Love it for Tim's, A&W, Wendy's, Harvey's, etc. due to the food being ready and waiting for you to grab it instead of waiting in the drive thru or line. Such a time saver when you're out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada