HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I know the city said no more cut-and-cover, but I always thought that the Arbutus corridor would be one where it could be done without disrupting much. Then you'll get rapid transit but without the limitations of at-grade rail, and the greenway can be built on top as well.
Cut and cover is likely the only acceptable mass transit idea for the local residents / business people (tunnel preferred too) however I think this corridor is perfect for ground level LRT with underground sections in key areas under key intersections. Capital costs to establish a ground level LRT within an existing corridor like this is far less than other alternatives. Yes, operating such a route would cost more.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:47 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Cut and cover is likely the only acceptable mass transit idea for the local residents / business people (tunnel preferred too) however I think this corridor is perfect for ground level LRT with underground sections in key areas under key intersections. Capital costs to establish a ground level LRT within an existing corridor like this is far less than other alternatives. Yes, operating such a route would cost more.
I don't think this is the place to argue technologies, I just meant to say it would probably be a good middle ground between the cost of boring and the neighbourhood's own vision for the corridor.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I don't think this is the place to argue technologies, I just meant to say it would probably be a good middle ground between the cost of boring and the neighbourhood's own vision for the corridor.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:58 PM

Of interest:

CP Rail forms joint venture to develop surplus real estate
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle22533486/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:26 PM

Judge sides with CP Rail in Arbutus line battle
http://www.cknw.com/2015/01/20/judge...s-line-battle/

Quote:
In today’s ruling, a judge stated the gardeners, pedestrians, cyclists and drivers who have been using the corridor have no right to be using it this way.
http://www.news1130.com/2015/01/20/v...utus-corridor/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:02 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Go CPR Go!

Also, I thought that CPR created Marathon for the purpose of disposing of real estate already?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
i cant say I'm surprised. common sense would have told you that the city would loose. "lets sue CP for fixing their rail corridor to use as a rail corridor after we made CP unable to develop it into anything else except as a rail corridor." yeah, there's sound logic. god damn idiots in city hall.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:02 PM

I suggest that this may spur (pun intended) a better offer from the City.

If CP goes forward and reconditions the line (at great expense) to store rail cars (which is BS, since they have shut down yards nation-wide to cut costs, sold off locomotives, and ditched surplus cars -- hence have no need for such storage), the city would look pretty stupid having only offered $20million.

Hunter is a brash man, but even he reports to the Shareholders... If the city doesn't budge for a few years, then CP will likely come down on their price. Its such a joke the big players bickering like this.

What irks me the most is that the city won't cough up $100 million (I know its a crazy sum, but at least counter with something negotiable) for property that would create an AMAZING pedestrian/cycling route across the whole city, yet they are willing to pay over $150 million to tear down viaducts and create a gridlocked new Pacific Blvd all to accommodate Concord Pacific. Its ludicrous.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
What irks me the most is that the city won't cough up $100 million (I know its a crazy sum, but at least counter with something negotiable) for property that would create an AMAZING pedestrian/cycling route across the whole city, yet they are willing to pay over $150 million to tear down viaducts and create a gridlocked new Pacific Blvd all to accommodate Concord Pacific. Its ludicrous.
I'm not sure I agree with you on spending that kind of money.

Where did you get the $150M number?

Part of the reason they might be treating Concord differently is that Concord Pacific aren't acting like assholes. I know what they are doing is legal, but that doesn't make it smart.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Go CPR Go!

Also, I thought that CPR created Marathon for the purpose of disposing of real estate already?
Marathon was the commercial (aka non-railway ROW) real estate property division of Canadian Pacific Limited and was sold off in 1996 to General Electric Capital Group and Oxford Properties. Other divisions set up in the 1960s were CPAir, CPShips, CPTrucking, CPHotels -all sold off since the 1990's.

I'm not surprised to see CP is looking again at doing something with their real estate holdings, since they have prime land like Arbutus Corridor all over North America with tracks they want to abandon & sell off the property or re-develop it.

Last edited by jsbertram; Jan 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 11:58 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Marathon was the commercial (aka non-railway ROW) real estate property division of Canadian Pacific Limited and was sold off in 1996 to General Electric Capital Group and Oxford Properties. Other divisions set up in the 1960s were CPAir, CPShips, CPTrucking, CPHotels -all sold off since the 1990's.

I'm not surprised to see CP is looking again at doing something with their real estate holdings, since they have prime land like Arbutus Corridor all over North America with tracks they want to abandon & sell off the property or re-develop it.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:00 AM

Let CP fix the tracks & we'll use it for commuter rail again:

from: http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/history...lway-bicycles/

look ma! no hands!
wheee!

Last edited by jsbertram; Jan 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you on spending that kind of money.

Where did you get the $150M number?

Part of the reason they might be treating Concord differently is that Concord Pacific aren't acting like assholes. I know what they are doing is legal, but that doesn't make it smart.
Concord is just saying: We won't build the north side of false Creek until you (the city) removes the viaducts (at your expense) to make more room for our condo towers.

Oh, and re-locate the expo and pacific boulevards too (at your expense), so we'll have more land for condo towers.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Concord is just saying: We won't build the north side of false Creek until you (the city) removes the viaducts (at your expense) to make more room for our condo towers.

Oh, and re-locate the expo and pacific boulevards too (at your expense), so we'll have more land for condo towers.
Oh, and here's our financial contributions to your political party.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Oh, and here's our financial contributions to your political party.
And "we won't be building that park anytime soon.. enjoy the money."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:23 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Clearing of Arbutus rail corridor to resume Tuesday says CP
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...s-cp-1.2949829

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:27 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I can hear people sharpening their pitchforks from here.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I can hear people sharpening their pitchforks from here.
Not that I know anything, but I think CP's plan is to restore the r/w to it original 2 track configuration so that they can rent it back to mayor moon beam when the Arbutus extention is built, so he can follow Surreys lead and put a tram network in.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTDGT View Post
Not that I know anything, but I think CP's plan is to restore the r/w to it original 2 track configuration so that they can rent it back to mayor moon beam when the Arbutus extention is built, so he can follow Surreys lead and put a tram network in.
I think that's likely what is going to happen. CP puts it back into a 2-track alignment, and then when the Broadway Subway is built, CP goes "Hey look guys, we can rent you this lovely rail right of way." And then sells it to Translink.

The less-optimistic version of the same story is CP decides to start running freight down it, but says "We won't if Translink is willing to buy all the rail capacity."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I think that's likely what is going to happen. CP puts it back into a 2-track alignment, and then when the Broadway Subway is built, CP goes "Hey look guys, we can rent you this lovely rail right of way." And then sells it to Translink.

The less-optimistic version of the same story is CP decides to start running freight down it, but says "We won't if Translink is willing to buy all the rail capacity."
And then TransLink is the villain for either wasting taxpayer money on a right of way that already parallels the Canada Line, or for not taking CP's offer and failing to stop the freight trains.
Meanwhile, CP and CoV get off with no blame.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure