HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Challenge denied!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:06 AM
DENNAB

I actually think this will be cool, despite the hate

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I actually think this will be cool, despite the hate
Exactly!!! I personally am pumped for this building, I just wanna see its official renders tho.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 1:58 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i think the observation level will have pretty cool views --

but they should give these out after you take the amusement ride back down --

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:43 PM

Renderings Revealed For The Torch At 740 Eighth Avenue In Midtown, Manhattan

Here's the official renders, courtesy of YIMBY.

https://www.newyorkyimby.com/2024/03...manhattan.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Beautiful. And that drop tower will be awesome for those that ride it. (Location is slightly off in one of the renders, but that doesn't matter).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:48 PM

I thought it was ridiculous when the massing diagrams were released. It's a lot classier than I had expected at that time. It's Times Square, so you have to be extravagant to stand out. I think they did that in an interesting way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

My only complaint now is that I have to wait for it to get built. They were still in the pit when I went by the other day. Can't wait to get up there.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:06 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:16 PM
"Think about the Future"

"He said you Blade Runner"

This may be the most awkwardly massed, hideous skyscraper in the world, only fitting that outside of Chicago it's being built in New York... This will be loathed by New Yorkers more than Hudson Yards which is seen as nothing but a tall, architecturally devoid, postmodern blue-glass blob on the West Side devoid of character, soul or an actual neighborhood.

One thing it will have is endless screams from the drop ride reminding us all of the monstrosity towering above dystopic times square.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:43 PM

Pretty much what we expected this to look like.
Only think not accurate is the paper thin mullions holding parts of this thing together.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Much better than I expected, and I think the staircase will be its best feature, though it's hard to tell if it's open air or not. I think they did the best they could with the massing given its programming, and it looks passable from the straight on view across the Hudson. But it still will never get over the fact that it is a thrill ride plopped on top of a hotel, with the thrill ride making up about half its total height. When you look at it from that perspective, it's not too different from having a giant Ferris wheel on the skyline (like in London - not necessarily a good or bad thing), but thinly veiled as a more traditional-use building, not an attraction. Like HyperPower, I fully expect most New Yorkers to revile it at first, but if it's successful, and they find the staircase a nice place to visit to get above the City, it could with time become something like the London Eye that is accepted as part of the City's identity and its international allure. I really think they should make the two lowest tiers of diagonal setback just above the roof of the hotel to be a second open air staircase with a separate entry - and entry fee. That could be something that would double or triple the capacity of the non-thrill ride portion of the attraction, and potentially create an elevated outdoor space with slightly more sparce crowds, which could incent New Yorkers to go up there from time to time to get up above it all and take in the views. If they sold discounted annual passes to local NY and NJ residents, that would be even better.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Location is slightly off in one of the renders, but that doesn't matter.

This actually isn't true. I've looked again, and resized some of the YIMBY images.

Though 4 TS is missing in this one...

The indoor drop tower will allow it to be operational year 'round

The elevators will take you to the top, and from there you work your way down (at least that's what was said)

Extell has 3 supertalls in this rendering, and possibly a fourth in the works no too far from this one.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:31 PM

Off the top of my head I can't think of an uglier supertall. The only saving grace is that it will be the city's 11th tallest building (10th to the roof) and hopefully fade away from most angles as more taller ones continue to be built. This design is truly revolting.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:47 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Looks like it would be right at home in theme park Pudong.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This actually isn't true. I've looked again, and resized some of the YIMBY images.

Though 4 TS is missing in this one...

The indoor drop tower will allow it to be operational year 'round

The elevators will take you to the top, and from there you work your way down (at least that's what was said)

Extell has 3 supertalls in this rendering, and possibly a fourth in the works no too far from this one.

[IMG]https://a4.pbase.com/o12/06/102706/1/17441254
2.C0AGib9u.IMG_2674.JPG[/IMG]

What other buildings besides 740 8th Avenue will have an observation deck open to the public at the top.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:13 PM

This looks a hell of a lot better than I expected. It's still weird, but it fits in the Midtown skyline.

Also, the visuals are a bit misleading, in that there are major development sites in the foreground and background, so it won't look quite so ungainly from most angles. You aren't going to see the entire tower anyways.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
What other buildings besides 740 8th Avenue will have an observation deck open to the public at the top.
Let me stop you right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This looks a hell of a lot better than I expected. It's still weird, but it fits in the Midtown skyline.

Looks pretty much like I always expected it would, like a glass chandelier.

People complain if you present something that looks like everything else. Provide something original, and there is shock! This tower will be fine on this skyline, with it's multiple supertalls from every skyscraper era giving us a skyline unlike any other.

https://darocha.co.za/product/smoke-...al-chandelier/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:35 PM

Why didn't they just make a really tall hotel tower with the spiral stairs at the top? Or condos? Do they not think it could fill the rooms? I don't get why it has to look like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction