HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 1:55 PM

A couple of articles about Mission Bay projects today...

Neuroscience center under construction: Not much new here, as we know UCSF's next project is underway. Targeting April 2012 completion date.

Bosa restarts work at Radiance condo site: Again, we knew this was underway, but some details such as 240 units in this phase set for completion in summer 2012 with the final 160 units apparently set to start a year from now. And he'll move on quickly from there:

Quote:
Bosa has told the Business Times that once he gets the green light for the last Radiance building, he will waste little time before moving onto Lot 13, a site close to Mission Creek that is entitled for 265 condos. “Most of (the Bosa Mission Bay projects) are going to be built in the next cycle, and I think it will be one of the finest neighborhoods in the city,” said Bosa. “We will hit it very hard, go from the Radiance to the next one to the next one. The more that we build in Mission Bay, the better the neighborhood will be. It will be self-generating. Nobody likes an orphan.”
Mercy Housing is also moving forward with plans for its 150 units of affordable housing at 1000 Fourth Street, hoping to begin construction in early 2012.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 2:49 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ a triple punch of good news! (when does that ever happen?!)

i like bosa's quote "nobody likes an orphan." it could definitely be misunderstood taken out of context but in this regard he's totally right.

thanks wildcowboy as usual for the updates

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 2:57 PM

For those who don't know, Google Maps has updated its satellite photos in a number of areas of the country, and the ones at Mission Bay are now very up-to-date. You can see the neurosciences building under construction, the completed second block of Mission Bay Commons park, and the rough grading for the street grid and roundabout in the western portion of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...11984&t=h&z=17

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 6:06 PM

24/7 Hospital site webcam

Thought some of you on the forum would appreciate this treat from UCSF:

http://www.onsiteview.com/ucsfmedcenter/

Does anyone has info on the infrastructure work on the NW corner?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:10 AM

Ad agency Goodby, Silverstein & Partners is looking to expand and consolidate in a rumored 125,000 sf location. Jeff Goodby mentions Mission Bay by name as an option, but possibly just as a "bookend" along with the Presidio for a broad geographic swath encompassing essentially all of SF's prime office space.

Quote:
Add that to the 60 new hires for its San Francisco offices, bringing the local head count to more than 800, said Goodby. He is also looking for more office space. Agency executives wouldn't say how much, but I've been told 125,000 feet or more by real estate sources, to put its four existing San Francisco offices under one roof.

In a tightening commercial real estate market, and with other companies looking for similar size spaces here, that has been proving easier said than done.

"We're looking everywhere, from the Presidio to Mission Bay," he said. "But we want to stay in San Francisco."

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:52 AM

Any new photos? I always mean to drive through and take photos when possible but forget.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:38 AM
heavy user of walkability

photos coming

I haven't been posting because mostly there hasn't been much visibly new to take pics of, but it's been a while now, and this coming weekend I'll put up more.

WC, thanks for pointing out the new google maps images, those are great.

and thanks, Potrero - I keep forgetting to check out the new camera when it's light out.

very nice that Bosa thinks they see another 'cycle' coming - sure will be nice to put some people on those streets down there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:41 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Does anyone know what the "tent structure" is all about (just north of the Neurosciences building)? It's now showing in the construction camera photo of today.

Thanks (ahead of time).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:41 AM
Only Mostly Dead

No clue, but I had to chime in to say hello, LWR! Long time, no see.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:42 AM

Cavalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
Does anyone know what the "tent structure" is all about (just north of the Neurosciences building)?
It seems to be for something called 'Cavalia' (if the trailer you can see in the photo is evidence), which I'm guessing is some sort of circus that focuses on horses?

ah, wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalia

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 5:01 AM

as promised, a long-delayed update. sorry it coincided with some gloomy weather, but sometimes the muted lighting actually helps with visibility, evening out the shadows.

starting with the construction in the northwest corner... mostly all one sees from ground level still are mounds of dirt. this is looking roughly east down what will be the 'outbound' road leading from the new roundabout (indiscernible in the distance) to the RR crossing at Seventh St, where this photo was taken. I think I have posted a pic from this same vantage point previously.

... and this is looking down the 'inbound' road from roughly the same place:

this is looking south-southwest from what was the corner of Sixth and Channel (the curb and hydrant are the last remnants of the intersection). for many years there was a golf driving range here. 1500 Owens and Gladstone building in the distance.

this is looking southeast from Channel along what will be a short corridor that lines up with Fifth Street across the creek, behind the point of view of the photo. this is parcel P5, slated to become a dog run:

on the south side of Channel St itself, the sidewalk has been partially chewed up and I imagine will be redone soon. here looking southwest from Fourth:

here also looking southwest from Fourth, down what will be Long Bridge Street, which is the one that runs parallel to Channel to the south, eventually angling between Fourth and the west end of the Commons - for the moment there are still a couple buildings in the way of the western end.

so inroads are being made into the wide no-man's land, but there is plenty of nothing still out there. looking west from Fourth:

and just because it's been a while, here's a shot of the CVRB from Fourth:

jumping over to Radiance II, it looks like the bases for two cranes (only one visible here) have been set up, and construction continues across the entire footprint of the large parcel. looking south with Bayer/Nektar in the distance:

and, one of the most interesting new developments for me, new concrete piles are being driven after all on the site south of the Bayer/Nektar companion building along Third! this is taken looking northwest from the roof of the South St parking garage.

on the northern site it looks like they are done driving those piles (which here were steel), and it seemed they were busy cleaning up and setting up fencing maybe so that the passage between the two sites (barely visible on the left in the photo), running from Third to the little plaza and lane behind the parking garage, could be opened to pedestrians.

here is a shot also taken from the South St garage, of the medical center site. they have recently put in a parking lot (not really visible here, hidden behind the parking garage in the foreground) for the anticipated influx of vehicles when construction gets into full swing next month. also, not sure if you can really see, but they were digging up Sixteenth on the east side of Third, looked like they were about to lay large sewer pipes there (which are waiting in the wings on Illinois):

and last and maybe least, in the Commons parcel in front of the CVRB and Diller Cancer building, it looked like they had recently tidied up and graded, and they were repairing the section of North Mission Bay Blvd that had been torn up while they were doing the construction there on the sewer and pumping station earlier this year and last. I'm guessing they will be opening that street to pedestrians soon too? looking west from Third:

Last edited by timbad; Oct 30, 2010 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 4:38 PM
Sonoma Strong

thanks for the photo update! looks like there's a lot going on!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yes, thank you! So happy to see Radiance moving along again. Did you stop in the visitor center when you were over on Channel? I'm curious if they've updated the maps and models lately.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:05 AM

Thanks for posting these great, comprehensive updates! Although I live in NYC, I used to live in SF in the 1990s and worked South of Market on Townsend. I've watched the whole area transform, including suffering through every frickin' pile driven for the Ballpark and watching in semi-awe when the big machines came in to demolish the last remnant of the Embarcadero Freeway along Berry where now a whole neighborhood has blossomed.

It's good to see that work is still continuing despite the lingering bad economy. The second phase of Radiance is really going to help to start to fill in the south-of-the-channel neighborhood. Too bad some of the buildings are utterly bland (like Bayer/Nektar) and too bad that the roadways are wide enough to befit a suburban office park (the roadway of 4th Street could be significantly narrower and the sidewalks significantly broader, imho), but all in all it's a fascinating neighborhood to watch slowly take shape.

I usually make it to SF every year or so, so I'm glad you're willing and able to fill in the gaps with posts like these!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 6:36 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Thumbs up Mystery solved and more...

Thank you timbad,

All of the campus is seemingly progressing very well. Again, thanks for the solution to the "mystery tent".

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:17 PM

Thanks! That's great.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:11 PM

Thanks for the shots, timbad! Exciting to see test piles at 1515 Third next to the garage...would be magnificent to see 1455 and 1515 go up at the same time. With the Diller Building and UCSF housing across the street, we'll have our first real section of Third Street corridor through Mission Bay South.

Article from the Chronicle today discussing the Giants' hopes for the area south of McCovey Cove. Not much new, but a nice rehashing of where things stand and how the overall development of the area was spurred by AT&T Park. Mentions of a possible NBA arena as part of a mixed use development if the Warriors want to make the hop across the bay, but everything still seems very preliminary.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Salesforce.com is planning a large new headquarters in Mission Bay. From SFGate:

Quote:
Salesforce.com, one of San Francisco's largest and fastest growing technology companies, plans to announce today that it will build an enormous new headquarters at Mission Bay.

The online sales software company, founded in 1999 by Marc Benioff, has acquired eight parcels totaling 14 acres in the fast emerging neighborhood around AT&T Park, locking down most of the remaining commercial space in the 303-acre redevelopment zone.

The $278 million land deal will allow Salesforce to build a two-million-square-foot corporate campus over roughly the next decade, nearly quadruple the amount of space it occupies in San Francisco today.
Much more at the link. I'm mostly curious about which parcels they bought. Since we're talking eight(!) parcels, I assume it's most of what's still available on the eastern edge of Mission Bay (26, 27, 29-34, etc.). This is definitely good news for Mission Bay, but I kind of wish they were taking available space downtown, which might help bring some other projects to life (350 and 535 Mission, SOM's new proposal at First and Mission, Transbay). Plus it's not biotech, but I guess that was always more of a goal than a strict rule for MB. But that's nitpicking. This is huge news!

Last edited by peanut gallery; Nov 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 11:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Found Salesforce.com's press release. It confirms they bought the undeveloped parts of parcels 26 and 27 and all of 29 through 34.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:22 AM

Huge news is an understatement. 2 million square feet...wow.

I read somewhere that they've also purchased the South Street Garage on Block 27. This explains the pile activity we've seen on Blocks 26 and 27 along Third, as they're already moving forward with plans to start moving in within two years, although we don't know what the pace of building will be on the campus.

Makes terrific sense for Benioff given his new long-term relationship with UCSF Children's Hospital.

To be clear, they've soaked up all of the available commercial land east of Third...from Mission Bay Commons south to 16th Street and then the skinny piece bordered by 16th, Illinois, Mariposa, and Third that I've thought would be the best site for UCSF's physicans' offices.

Read somewhere else that the Redevelopment Agency says that there is now less than a million sf of commercial space entitlements left in Mission Bay, and UCSF is expected to grab 500,000 for the physicians' offices.

The only remaining commercial land will be the existing "west" campus along the freeway where Alexandria has already built out much of the plans, and Block 40, the odd-shaped lot between 16th and Mariposa abutting 280 and across the street from UCSF's future hospital parking garage. That has to be the top contender for the physicians' offices now.

Definitely mixed feelings on this one. The close proximity to UCSF made total sense for biotech-focused development. I was fine with mixing in a few hundred thousand sf of tech, but two million sf?

The city is spinning it that it gives a boost to biotech-zoned space along Third in Dogpatch and then down into the Pier 70 revitalization project. That may be true, but I would have much preferred the tech stuff go in at Pier 70 and have biotech up by UCSF. (For those who are curious, the Pier 70 plan calls for 700,000 sf of reuse in the historic buildings and an additional 3 million sf of infill construction.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development