HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:15 PM

Cool shot from a CBC article

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6818164.168209745...wa-weather.jpg

Not a lot of skyline love for Ottawa but we definitely bringing the density!

New downtown tallest coming soon just to the left of Place de Ville C

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Cool shot from a CBC article

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6818164.168209745...wa-weather.jpg

Not a lot of skyline love for Ottawa but we definitely bringing the density!

New downtown tallest coming soon just to the left of Place de Ville C
I was just about to post that one!

Here's Hull with a little Ottawa Zibi on the right blending in, from r/ottawa on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comm...rm=1&rdt=64705

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 7:14 PM

Pretty pic from UT:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I was just about to post that one!

Here's Hull with a little Ottawa Zibi on the right blending in, from r/ottawa on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comm...rm=1&rdt=64705
i just love how Ottawa's contribution here just adds to the Gatineau skyline almost more than it does for it's own. True, Ottawa doesn't get much love from skyline aficionados simply because the skyline is just so lacklustre. Yes it has great density and perhaps that's it's saving grace but the skyline leaves much to be desired... it just too boring and tabletop and efforts to break that only break it by a floor count of maybe 2 or 3..its just not enough imo. the CBD needs a tower or two a good 10-15 floors clear of it's current tallest to have any impact. It's a shame that a city that does density so very well can't get a decent tower in a promenant location... and anything worth of discussion height wise just takes forever to get above grade.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 7:39 PM
I am the law!

Just an observation. Ottawa's skyline doesn't get much love you. The rest of SSP is kinda eh whatever. Now, in my opinion some prominent towers courtesy of Roderick Lahey isn't going to make Ottawa's skyline more spectacular. It's a dense, urban skyline ... full of bland architecture.

That Toronto shot is ridonculous

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:40 PM
菠蘿油

This was in La Presse recently (via Agora MTL) and I did a double take. It's an unusual angle of Griffintown and for a second I didn't realize it was Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:20 PM
Look at me!

That's a really neat 'big city' perspective. I love how Windsor station makes for a quasi terminated vista.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 1:02 AM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 2:46 AM

From Global Transit and Infrastructure (RMTransit) Discord, Edmonton.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 4:31 AM

^ Finally a pic of that shows Edmonton's entire downtown skyline! I wish the photo was bigger.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 4:41 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Pretty pic from UT:

We have a winner.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 2:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
love the layers and bulkiness of that shot. Things are going on. That vantage point looks way different than it did 20 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 2:39 PM
MTL♥

Montreal February 2024

Tourisme Montréal

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 4:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 5:05 PM

Love that Montreal shot. I sometimes scoff at Griffintown which is all charcoal brick towers (though done better than Ottawa), kind of bland. Based on Google street view, kind of looks sterile and dead. Not sure where I was going with this...

Looks really good in the shots posted on this page.

But anyway, what really frustrates me is that CDPQ decided to hold off on the Griffintown station, where you have lots of density and destinations, but Panama surrounded by SFH and parking lots was essential. I get that a lot is based on bus transfers, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
^ Finally a pic of that shows Edmonton's entire downtown skyline! I wish the photo was bigger.
really impressive how far the skyline stretches. Decent colour and height variety as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Love that Montreal shot. I sometimes scoff at Griffintown which is all charcoal brick towers (though done better than Ottawa), kind of bland. Based on Google street view, kind of looks sterile and dead. Not sure where I was going with this...

Looks really good in the shots posted on this page.

But anyway, what really frustrates me is that CDPQ decided to hold off on the Griffintown station, where you have lots of density and destinations, but Panama surrounded by SFH and parking lots was essential.
To not have build the Griffintown station already is indeed incomprehensible, a truly idiotic decision.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 8:20 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Well Panama was needed since it's the main transfer point for the south shore and the S. shore is the main point of the southern leg of the REM. But yes hopefully the Griffintown station will come soon.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 8:36 PM
Look at me!

Say what you want about Griffintown (I personally don't like the look of most of the towers), but it's certainly not dead. Its streets and sidewalks are bustling.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Say what you want about Griffintown (I personally don't like the look of most of the towers), but it's certainly not dead. Its streets and sidewalks are bustling.
I've come to like some of the more recent architecture, to be honest. But much agreed - Griffintown has become quite vibrant. Needs some family services, but as far as these districts go it's fairly successful.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 4:32 PM
菠蘿油

Griffintown is often ugly but as others have said, it's pretty lively at street level. Street View isn't a good way to evaluate it because its imagery is pretty out of date.

The city is actively rebuilding all the streets in Griffintown, burying the hydro poles and getting rid of a lot of street parking. There are also a lot of parks and other community facilities under construction. It's a bit of a mess right now but in 10 years I think people who dismissed Griffintown will be surprised to find it's actually an interesting place. The ad hoc hodgepodge way it has developed is actually an asset since it will allow it to feel more lived-in than, say, Coal Harbour in Vancouver. Of course it helps that it's actually quite an old neighbourhood so the streets are narrow and there's a sprinkling of historic buildings that survived 1960s clearance/decay and have been preserved.

Oh, and another asset that often goes unrecognized: Griffintown is not all condos. There's actually a lot of co-op and other types of social housing. There's more of a demographic mix than people realize.

The biggest challenge for Griffintown right now is that there are a lot of retail spaces owned by corporate landlords who would rather keep them empty than rent to an independent business. There's also the weird commercial imbalance you get in areas with a lot of new development, so that there are a million nail salons but no independent fruiteries.

Also, ironically, Griffintown is a hotbed of NIMBYism. At least two major residential developments that would have added a lot of new housing to the market have been killed by neighbourhood opposition. Now the NIMBYs are even gearing up against 18-storey non-profit student housing because it's "too tall." Luckily, you can't force a referendum on a community housing initiative, and it has strong support from city council, so there's nothing the opponents can do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada