HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the updates guys! Would you mind also posting your respective shots in the threads for those buildings?

Cathedral Hill Hospital
Trinity Place

It's nice to have a complete picture in the dedicated threads for looking back through the progress.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 9:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I don't usually look for or post these, but this drone video is amazing. Especially the last part near the GGB:

Video Link

As a bonus, here's an aerial I took while landing at SFO awhile back:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 4:20 AM
heavy user of walkability

thanks pg! I think I liked your bonus even better than the video

changing subject, SFMOMA has an official opening date: May 14

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:08 AM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 4:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks timbad.

I love this proposal for Jackson Square, which is one of my favorite parts of town:

Quote:

Plans to raze the one-story Financial District building at 290 Pacific Avenue – which was originally home to a blacksmith’s shop and more recently occupied by Globe for 18 years – are one step closer to reality, with San Francisco’s Planning Department having just issued a Preliminary Mitigated Negative Declaration, which is a positive thing if you’re the developer, for the proposed seven-story building to rise upon the site.

As designed by Handel Architects for Grosvenor USA, the proposed 240 Pacific Avenue development would also cover two adjacent parking lots and wrap around the existing building occupied by the Old Ship Saloon on the corner of Pacific and Battery, with 33 condos over 2,000 square feet of retail fronting Pacific and parking for 36 cars in stackers on the ground floor.
Source for all of the above: SocketSite.

I occasionally stop in at the Old Ship Saloon and this will complement it well.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Oct 26, 2015 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to add credit.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 5:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The 8-story replacement for the Market Street Theater was approved yesterday. It also looks like it's been redesigned again. From Hoodline:

Quote:

The backside along Stevenson:

Yesterday, the Planning Commission approved plans to demolish the 103-year-old building on Market between Sixth and Seventh streets, and replace it with an eight-story mixed-use building.

-----------

With the commission’s approval, 90 units (11 affordable) will rise in its place. Resident amenities will include an outdoor terrace on the second floor, a roof deck with green space and a dog run, and a few private balconies.

There will also be about 8,500 square feet of ground floor retail, with spaces fronting both Market and Stevenson, as well as 24 vehicle parking spaces and 92 bike parking spaces in the basement.

-----------

The developer estimates that construction will take 20 months and ground could potentially be broken before the end of this year.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 9:45 PM

peanut gallery - thanks for the update. Not great architecture but a big improvement for what is there now. The artist did not gloss over the look of the alley in back of the building.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:01 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks timbad.

I love this proposal for Jackson Square, which is one of my favorite parts of town:
I occasionally stop in at the Old Ship Saloon and this will complement it well.
I really like this proposal. I think it fits in with the existing buildings in Jackson Square as well as anything new possibly could.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:13 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I agree with both of you on those respective projects.

fflint - I think that's what I like so much about it. There's a brick-like appliqué suggested in those renderings that should make it fit right in. Yet it isn't simply trying to mimic the historic buildings around it. It's definitely a modern building but with just enough of a nod to its neighbors. I think it's perfect.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:51 AM

Hidden Construction

This hidden construction behind the Dolby Building was spotted by me today. This view is from Laskie Street which is between 8th and 9th Streets off Mission Street. Another view can be had between the Dolby Building & AVA apartments on 9th Street. I presume it is an addition to the Dolby Building.

The gated area is a dog run for tenants of the AVA apartments.

Coincidentally I saw surveyors on Laskie Street today and guess the survey is for a high rise coming to the corner of Mission & Laskie Streets. The site currently is a parking lot with a pizza joint.

New Construction

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:54 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I don't usually look for or post these, but this drone video is amazing. Especially the last part near the GGB:

Video Link

Whoa that video is amazing, wish it were longer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:33 AM

Jerry - now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something in the past year or two about a development replacing that pizza joint/parking lot along mission.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Jerry - now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something in the past year or two about a development replacing that pizza joint/parking lot along mission.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ing-alley.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:00 PM

Construction Behind the Dolby Building

Here is another view from 9th Street of the construction behind the Dolby building. In the now bare space when the California State Fund Compensation owned the building there was a lovely park with redwood trees that were several stories high when when cut down. The Whitcomb Hotel is in the background.

New Construction - Dolby Building

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
This hidden construction behind the Dolby Building was spotted by me today. This view is from Laskie Street which is between 8th and 9th Streets off Mission Street. Another view can be had between the Dolby Building & AVA apartments on 9th Street. I presume it is an addition to the Dolby Building.

The gated area is a dog run for tenants of the AVA apartments.

Coincidentally I saw surveyors on Laskie Street today and guess the survey is for a high rise coming to the corner of Mission & Laskie Streets. The site currently is a parking lot with a pizza joint.

New Construction
This is supposed to be a 'Dolby Experience' theatre that'll be open to the public.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:28 AM

Dogpatch

the SF Opera warehouse on Indiana has now been completely razed

I had forgotten about this one

this is looking down 22nd St at the site from farther up Potrero Hill, on Missouri. the Caltrain station is in the distance, where the shadow is at the top of the photo

a few feet from that vantage point was a notice related to this project, so I think this is where the large stairway will reach its top

here is the bottom of the site

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 7:13 AM

Fourth St hotel

looks like they have demolished the Olivet University building on Fourth, next to the new Moscone Central Subway station. a hotel is supposed to go up there

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 8:43 AM

Dieselpolo - thanks for the info.! You confirmed my guess.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the photo updates, gents. I wonder if they've refined the designs on that 4th St hotel. It's been awhile and it seemed rather generic, so I'm hoping it's been modified.

More info on that new Jackson Square proposal, from Hoodline:

Quote:
Amelia Staveley of Grosvenor Americas, the developer, told us slight changes have been made since the renderings were submitted. They sent us the most recent ones, which show no Juliet balconies or slots in the facade.

"We’ve removed the balconies because we think it creates a cleaner, more elegant facade," Staveley said. "We’ve changed the facade a bit on the ground floor to increase the proportion of masonry and decrease the proportion of glass," she added. "We felt that it was more appropriate for the context of the neighborhood."

I quite like the street level changes. I'm on the fence about the facade changes, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. I can see where they are coming from, but fear it could be too plain. The slots did make it a bit busy, but I liked the addition of metal that the balconies provided.

Also found this older model, which gives a better sense of the massing, also from Hoodline:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 7:54 AM

peanut gallery - agree with you on the Jackson Square proposal. From what I see in the artist rendering the masonry is richly textured and would fit well into the neighborhood. The "bronze' metal at street level is very nice. I have bronze railings on my balcony & love it. The model certainly gives a much better picture of how massive the project is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations