HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'm pretty convinced that Philly is basically a legacy city, along with Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis. Only difference is that those cities either have never reached 1 million or, in the case of Detroit, was over 1 million people between 1920 to 1990, then fell below 1 million back in 2000, and has never seen that threshold again.

Also, Detroit, around the 50's to the 60's, was the richest city in America, the way SF is the richest city today. And, for it's heyday, Detroit was considered a world class city during that time until the 90's. Philly had a world class cache because it was a Top 5 city for so long since colonial times until 2014, when Phoenix passed it by, and had a lot of HQs here such as Sunoco, Arco, Rohm and Haas, Sovereign, UGI, and Crown Cork and Seal. Many of those companies have either moved to the suburbs, or moved to different cities (Sunoco moved to Dallas, and Sovereign became Santander Bank and moved to Boston).

It doesn't help that Philly don't have an extensive mass transit system, the airport doesn't have int'l air carriers like KLM, Copa, and JAL, and the city has the highest wage and business taxes in the nation. Only mayor I can recall that tried to promote Philly was Rendell. After Rendell, we've had subpar mayors as far as mayors who promoted Philly to tourists and businesses alike.
Please move to Nashville already and leave us alone.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You know, maybe Nashville could build the American Commerce Center? He should get on that!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
I think people get too focused on Census defined metro areas and that misses the (unique to the USA) grey area that is the overall Philly-NYC combined area. The fact Trenton/Princeton area are officially in NYC metro and not Philly shows the fine line between the two. So all the big pharma in that area is considered part of NYC, but is it really? Trenton practically touches Northeast Philly. I had many friends that lived in Philly work in that area, because why not? It's so close. But then you look at GDP, etc, and it appears distinctly separate. It's clearly not.
Plus you can get to Trenton via Regional Rail directly to/from CC.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
especially now that "climate change haven" Asheville has been effectively destroyed by a clear result of climate change.
how does a hurricane that occurred during hurricane season, in the region called "hurricane alley", constitute a "clear result of climate change"?
these things have been happening in that area at this time of year for as long as people have lived here.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 5:02 PM

It’s really not debatable that these more severe storms are a result of climate change

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 5:09 PM

why are we talking about climate change in a highrise forum?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
why are we talking about climate change in a highrise forum?
Agreed. Getting a little off topic here guys...

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
You know, maybe Nashville could build the American Commerce Center? He should get on that!
Last time I checked, Nashville is rapidly growing and gaining businesses, has lower taxes than Philly and no state income tax, while Philly is currently on a decline and unable to retain people, graduates, and businesses. I've already moved out of a once great, but not innovative and not dynamic city. Good luck on getting the brand spanking new Center City arena. I guess that will make you a world class city!!!

Last edited by wanderer34; Yesterday at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:40 PM

Very odd move to come into a Philly forum on this website out of all and try to crap on the city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:49 PM

Don't feed the trolls

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Don't feed the trolls
Well said.

Let's get back to discussing highrises, guys. I will delete any further off-topic posts.

Last edited by mcgrath618; Yesterday at 3:17 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations