HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:05 AM

Smile Rio Nuevo Update

A portion of the article...

“...Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.”

I told you.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
A portion of the article...

“...Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.”

I told you.
You got a link?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:13 AM

I got it from the Rio Nuevo email update.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:49 PM
City Rider

Update on 75 E. Broadway

From Rio Nuevo email 1/29/20

Work at 75 E. Broadway could soon recommence after the Rio Nuevo Board reached an agreement with the developers of the mixed-use project planned for the site.

Last year, the Board learned that JE Dunn, the original developer/general contractor, wanted to transfer its ownership share to its co-developer Dabdoub Schwabe Properties. Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:50 PM
City Rider

Ha sorry for the duplication - just saw this posted above

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:49 PM

Would definitely liked to see a new tallest but a 2nd tallest ain't bad - hope this moves forward !

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:39 PM

Rio Nuevo has a special meeting today regarding the Nor-Gen fiasco. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Rio Nuevo has a special meeting today regarding the Nor-Gen fiasco. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.
That project really keeps my interest. It seems like there is so much potential being squandered with empty lots and cheap event tents. I hope the board holds Nor Gen accountable for accepting project and doing nothing with it for 5+ years

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:59 AM

KGUN 9 reported on the Special Mtg. Basically the Board agreed to have Nor-Gen present at the next meeting in a couple of weeks to get an update. Rio Nuevo has a lawsuit on standby.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
That project really keeps my interest. It seems like there is so much potential being squandered with empty lots and cheap event tents. I hope the board holds Nor Gen accountable for accepting project and doing nothing with it for 5+ years
I think they would have to pay Rio Nuevo $2 million for not having something developed by a certain date which happens to be this year, I believe.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
KGUN 9 reported on the Special Mtg. Basically the Board agreed to have Nor-Gen present at the next meeting in a couple of weeks to get an update. Rio Nuevo has a lawsuit on standby.
Here's a link to the story: https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...ed-development

The statement from the Nor-Gen attorney stands out to me:

Quote:
An attorney for the developer sent a statement saying they will not be commenting right now other than to say they are focused on addressing concerns on both sides and coming up with a solution that benefits all sides and the community.
This language tells me Norville is already taking an adversarial stance. I still think his bid was premised on his ability to use the land for his tent show for a few years and he had no plans to ever develop it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to the story: https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...ed-development

The statement from the Nor-Gen attorney stands out to me:

This language tells me Norville is already taking an adversarial stance. I still think his bid was premised on his ability to use the land for his tent show for a few years and he had no plans to ever develop it.
He was awarded the development rights by the Tucson City Council. At the time, I said his proposal was mostly smoke and mirrors and not realistic or viable and he should not have been granted the rights. The City Council was bamboozled by the fancy presentation and flashy photos, without any insight or knowledge of a legitimate vetting process. This would not have happened if Rio Nuevo had been in control at that time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
He was awarded the development rights by the Tucson City Council. At the time, I said his proposal was mostly smoke and mirrors and not realistic or viable and he should not have been granted the rights. The City Council was bamboozled by the fancy presentation and flashy photos, without any insight or knowledge of a legitimate vetting process.
I thought Nor Gen was awarded through the Rio Nuevo Board. If I remember correctly, a board member quit over the awarding of the project to Nor Gen. Or some other controversy occurred

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I thought Nor Gen was awarded through the Rio Nuevo Board. If I remember correctly, a board member quit over the awarding of the project to Nor Gen. Or some other controversy occurred
You might be right, since Rio Nuevo was established in 1999. At first, it was administered by the Tucson City Council until they squandered almost $200 million with nothing to show for it. The State forced the City Council out before more money was wasted.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
You might be right, since Rio Nuevo was established in 1999. At first, it was administered by the Tucson City Council until they squandered almost $200 million with nothing to show for it. The State forced the City Council out before more money was wasted.
It was the current iteration of RN, but with a few holdover board members (critically, Alberto Moore), that awarded the bid to Norville in 2014. My hope is that the current board's prerogative is to let the deal lapse, come to some sort of settlement with Norville regarding the penalty, and move on to another RFP.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:17 PM

There's a townhome development at the northeast corner of 17th and Stone in front of the Historical Commission's Plans Review Subcommittee this week. It's nice infill but nothing too exciting. However, it got me thinking about the old gas station at the southwest corner of that same intersection so I looked it up on PRO. Turns out, R+R Develop (the developers behind the Trinity project) submitted a request for preapplication review in August 2019 for a three-floor mixed use project.

Combined with the above-mentioned townhomes, The Baffert, 18 W 18, and the Pueblo Vida project, there'll be a ton of activity around Five Points.

EDIT - Intersection corrected.

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Feb 12, 2020 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
There's a townhome development at the northeast corner of 17th and 6th in front of the Historical Commission's Plans Review Subcommittee this week. It's nice infill but nothing too exciting. However, it got me thinking about the old gas station at the southwest corner of that same intersection so I looked it up on PRO. Turns out, R+R Develop (the developers behind the Trinity project) submitted a request for preapplication review in August 2019 for a three-floor mixed use project.

Combined with the above-mentioned townhomes, The Baffert, 18 W 18, and the Pueblo Vida project, there'll be a ton of activity around Five Points.
Northeast corner of 6th and 17th? Are they tearing down Roy's?

Also in regards to the 5 Points project, dont forget about the Flash project at 6th and 19th

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:54 PM

That's unfortunate if they are going to tear down all those historic homes

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Northeast corner of 6th and 17th? Are they tearing down Roy's?

Also in regards to the 5 Points project, dont forget about the Flash project at 6th and 19th

Make that Stone & 17th.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 9:35 PM

In other news, UA has a lease agreement for the first building at the Tech Park at The Bridges up for approval at ABOR this week.

https://uaatwork.arizona.edu/lqp/lea...er-abor-agenda

Across the way from this building, more land is being graded for The Marketplace at The Bridges. Permit-wise, the only thing I can find is an application for a Circle K fronting Kino, but there are several other pads in the area being graded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest