HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:05 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
They live

When the accent lighting first turned on earlier this year, it looked like something out of the movie Tron at night, overseeing the whole city looking "evil" and brooding over the population with doom.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:14 PM

39 Units currently available.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:51 PM

80% leased in 2 months is a good look for 300 Main and I feel like is a positive sign for future residential developments downtown.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 3:02 PM

Agreed! especially with the feds announcing the GST exemption for apartment building. Maybe we will see some movement of surface lots?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:54 PM

Thats only the lower half of the building though, right?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:02 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought the consensus on this site was that the building was surely destined to be a failure and set a bad precedent for having an empty building downtown.

I remember the comments - poor construction, bad layouts, suites too small, too expensive, not right for our city.

I guess we will see...
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I thought the consensus on this site was that the building was surely destined to be a failure and set a bad precedent for having an empty building downtown.

I remember the comments - poor construction, bad layouts, suites too small, too expensive, not right for our city.

I guess we will see...
rooftop fire at Sherbrook helped out i assume?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Hmmmm, when you say that it almost sounds like a Tonya Harding type of pipe to the knees move by 300 Main. I like it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:03 PM

Hahahah nice throwback

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:

I guess we will see...
It was the worst build I was ever on and Marwest is the scummiest outfit but I myself never wanted it to fail as a concept, since I love the city and ultimately want the city to succeed. But yeah the trashtalk was real.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:

I guess we will see...
My favourite is still "it's going to be capped off at 21 storeys. No, really, I heard this..."

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 8:29 PM

That was me for starting that one, and it came right from the office of the construction manager at the time, that was not me making that up there friend nor was it grunt chatter. Was openly discussed at initial sequence planning meetings that I was at the table for. I’m glad it didn’t happen but it was actually being spitballed since it was right in the middle of covid.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
That was me for starting that one, and it came right from the office of the construction manager at the time, that was not me making that up there friend nor was it grunt chatter. Was openly discussed at initial sequence planning meetings that I was at the table for. I’m glad it didn’t happen but it was actually being spitballed since it was right in the middle of covid.
Yikes, sounds like we dodged a bullet there, though I guess at that point all options had to be on the table.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 12:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
It was the worst build I was ever on and Marwest is the scummiest outfit but I myself never wanted it to fail as a concept, since I love the city and ultimately want the city to succeed. But yeah the trashtalk was real.
there quite a few contrctors in our market that are shit show not guna name names but had experiance with a few with the water plant here and i just scratch my head

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 3:34 PM

Scummy developers. I'm not in the industry, and I'm curious as to how common it is to have to deal with self-described developers who intentionally lie about their resources and ability or willingness to undertake a project, deliberately underestimate costs, and promise the sun and the moon...as long as they can get someone else (cough; the government) to pay for their grandiose plans. In other words, "scummy".

From the outside it appears like the ratio of scummy developers to honest ones seems fairly high. For every project that is announced and is completed, it seems like there's several that fall by the wayside for reasons other than economics beyond the control of the developers.

Every industry and profession has it's scummy element, and I think there's tendency to want to either protect the scum, or deal with them "internally" , rather than risk public embarrassment.

For the people here in the industry:How common are the scum? Is there any legitimate policing of developers that actually goes on, or is it the wild west out there? Is there any way to reduce the scum factor so that simple-minded folks like me can see a development plan and not have to think "suuuure it will get built.." ? I hate being a cynic, but man, it's difficult at times to see the light through the darkness.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 10:47 PM

The light strip was pretty striking in last night's fog. In person, it seemed to reach much higher into the sky, and gave even stronger City 17 vibes.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:20 PM

Winnipeg’s newest tower pushes height and rent levels

40-storey 300 Main – city’s tallest apartment building ¬– brings luxury rentals to troubled downtown with rents towering over city average

Article:
https://www.westerninvestor.com/sask...levels-7757240

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:48 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

The light strip was pretty striking in last night's fog. In person, it seemed to reach much higher into the sky, and gave even stronger City 17 vibes.
I can hear that haunting now...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:51 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

40-storey 300 Main – city’s tallest apartment building ¬– brings luxury rentals to troubled downtown with rents towering over city average

Article:
Interesting that they quote the crime statistics for downtown, but I also have noticed an increase in foot patrols over the last few months. WPS is definitely more visible.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Article:
"The city is finally moving to potentially remove pedestrian barriers at the intersection, which have been in place since 1979. "

This is news to me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan