HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 3:03 PM
Sleep is for quitters

The National Clean Energy Summit got a tour of CityCenter and these two photos really show the immense size of the project

flickr photo by Center for American Progress Action Fund

Veer East lobby glass being installed...
flickr photo by Center For American Progress Action Fund

Last edited by mac78130; Aug 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:22 PM
Sleep is for quitters

I love this shot of the PH TOWERS

Image from Las Vegas Sun Article: Planet Hollywood financial troubles
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...nances-quarte/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 11:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac78130 View Post
Cirque Theater... Pool area filling out nice.
flickr photo by huliana90212

i think someone a ways back on this forum said the citycenter destroyed the the views from the monte carlo (reffering to the hotel rooms and not the pool area).... NO WAY!!! the monte carlo has great views all around... especially those facing the city center.

I think the guy who wrote it was just a passerby on this forum & had like 10,000 posts so he was probably just going from forum to forum adding comments.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 11:40 PM
Beirut + Vegas = Heaven!

^^ At first it did look like CityCenter would block Monte Carlo's views, but now that they have removed a lot of cranes, and that they are slowly cleaning up all the mess, and most of the construction is done, the views actually aren't bad.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
Sleep is for quitters

Here's a better video of Hotel32 from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEMdy8BSyA

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 4:27 AM
Closed account

slightly old article but exciting news for those who live in north las vegas. I15 north will open 5 months ahead of schedule

http://www.lvrj.com/news/51734697.html

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans View Post
i think someone a ways back on this forum said the citycenter destroyed the the views from the monte carlo (reffering to the hotel rooms and not the pool area).... NO WAY!!! the monte carlo has great views all around... especially those facing the city center.

I think the guy who wrote it was just a passerby on this forum & had like 10,000 posts so he was probably just going from forum to forum adding comments.
the views will still be there but having a 600ft tower(s) on the north side will be different, off topic the pool area at monte carlo has been reduced dramatically with city center and the tennis courts are now gone

source:bing.com

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 4:29 PM
Sleep is for quitters

Let's see if MGM Mirage will lower the prices on the condos at Citycenter.

"CityCenter broker Bob Hamrick said MGM Mirage and Dubai World, its partner in the project, will announce any readjusted prices by early September."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...s-buyers-hope/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:05 PM

Quote:

Unless I missed someone else saying the same thing, that was me you were referring to. I definately don't post much, but I read the forum quite a bit. Either scenario shouldn't affect having an opinion, though.

I made mention of the views a couple times, I think. After I stayed a couple days in the MC and posted some pics, and once last spring after someone posted new pics of the theatre.

I have to stand by what I said then, but I think for different reasons than you might think. To be clear, my thoughts were eventually based on pictures of the new Cirque theatre which is right there, looking over the pool. Not the further off high rises. And I was reflecting what the daughter and wife thought at the time. I actually felt it would be kinda interesting, but it wasn't too hard to gather that my interests, as well as the tastes of posters on this board, would be completely different than most folks using the pool. People here are going to find the views interesting because they have an affection for architecture. Most people just see something right in their face that's completely different from the surroundings they imagined they entered and see a distraction. Those who enjoy architecture see and admire the beauty of the art.

My wife and daughter thought the views would make them feel cramped in and it took away the bit of tropical feel they sought. The view gave them a real close-up of a wherehouse-district, and they didn't like the bold interference into their imaginations.

So, to reiterate, my guess is that once you get outside the views of those of us who have an interest in this sort of thing, many will feel as my wife and daughter did.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:14 PM

Get ‘em while they’re cold

MGM expected to price cut CityCenter condos by 30 percent:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...e-theyre-cold/

This is according to two realtors. One says in some cases it could be more than 30 percent, which would imply that Vdara could see a larger cut to secure lending.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 10:12 PM
Sleep is for quitters

Cosmopolitan:
Looks like the blue lighting will be used on the podium as well...
flickr photo by jpozadzides

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:20 PM

I just left the strip a few hours ago. City center is not as bad as I once thought but still, in my mind a monstrosity. I do not like big New York city scenes so this is just my opinion. Cosmo is a disaster in the making..... Unfortunately I have 3 units there... at least for now. The glass color is just nowhere near what was depicted as it is now a very drab dark grey with a bit of blue rather than the Aqua blue that was depicted. Ugggghhhhhhhh. Looking at the entrances, both off Harmon for drive in and walkin off L.V. Blvd. I am horrified at what I see. Those slanted glass sections are just not worth the price of admission. Almost like Seattle in the Winter. Just no feeling to the place. The long length of cement wall, even with the supposed water features off Harmon give me no feeling of life or excitement at all.
I keep hoping it will get better. Thank goodness the North facing views from Cosmo of the Belagio will make this off the hook once inside. As I said before, I do not like the cold skylines of big cities. Belagio will always be my standard of elegance for Vegas. But, it is what it is...... I still have my fingers crossed. Interesting to see what the full opening of MGM city center will have in relation to taking visitors away from Wynn and Trump.

FOD

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:39 PM
Closed account

i understand what you're getting at solediavolo, but all the structures at citycenter are far enough away from the MC tower that it still gives each room a large panoramic view... i came across a building that just went up in seattle, called 1918 8th ave, that blocked all the views of the balconies of the adjacent building facing it. here's 2 pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2273504...65797/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2273504...05590/sizes/o/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 12:41 AM
Sleep is for quitters

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 1:43 AM

Yay! The next few months are going to be interesting for the bridge. Next up is road surface I believe. I wonder what its observation area will be like?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:34 AM
Sleep is for quitters

Everything is coming along quickly.. Veer West glass has reached the top.. The metallic roof of the Crystals looks great. I'm still disappointed with the tram stations, but it is what it is.....

flickr photo by taniasews

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:56 AM

Quote:
i understand what you're getting at solediavolo, but all the structures at citycenter are far enough away from the MC tower that it still gives each room a large panoramic view... i [/URL]

Oh, I hear ya. That's why I said in my post, "To be clear, my thoughts were eventually based on pictures of the new Cirque theatre which is right there, looking over the pool. Not the further off high rises."

I was pretty much talking about the theatre, which every time I look reminds me of Paulie Walnuts sitting outside Satriale's butcher shop, tanning with that reflective metal thing. It just looks like one ginormous reflective tanning thingamajing. So I guess that's actually perfect for a pool setting.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 4:41 AM
Closed account

ok solediavolo, we're both right... hahahahahah

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 1:11 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
Sleep is for quitters

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations