HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
At present, this area and the Delaware waterfront is just not well-situated for urban, walkable development. Things may change over time, but it's not likely without a significant investment by the city, possibly including capping of I-95, and many other changes in financial priorities and attitudes towards this area.
Personally I think the biggest thing that could be done to improve walkability in the area would be light rail in the middle of Columbus Blvd from Penn's Landing to Oregon Avenue. Maybe even a subterranean extension of the Green Line trolleys?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 3:38 PM

A long time lurker that is finally joining the discussion to provide some updates. I'll try to get some pictures next week.

Navy Yard

40 New Guest Rooms Anchor Courtyard Philadelphia South as Top Choice in The Navy Yard
Quote:
South Philly hotel undergoing $8 million expansion to add comfort, privacy with additional accommodations
Read more here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp.../10/19/CG20572

-The Marriott Courtyard expansion is completely framed out. They are installing windows and it looks like they are nearing the final phase of exterior work. This went up pretty quick in the span of ~4 months.

Liberty Property Trust pre-leases 26,000 square feet to Penn Capital at 1200 intrepid Ave
Quote:
Liberty Property Trust, which owns and manages more than 12 million square feet of office, flex and industrial space in the Greater Philadelphia region, today announced it has pre-leased 26,000 square feet of office space at 1200 Intrepid Avenue to Penn Capital Management Company, Inc. (PENN CAPITAL).
Read More:
http://www.navyyard.org/theyardblog/...-intrepid-ave/

-I believe work on this building is complete. Penn Capital moved several months ago (had a friend that made the move). They previously held a smaller space in 3 Crescent Dr.

351 Rouse Blvd.
Adaptimmune US Headquarters. Work on this building is progressing. I haven't been directly in front of it, but from a few blocks away it appears much of the exterior work is complete. That said I think it was supposed to be completed in 2016.

WuXi AppTec Third Laboratory Ribbon Cutting
Quote:
Liberty Property Trust and PIDC joined WuXi AppTec, Inc., a global leader in pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, and medical devices, for a ribbon cutting ceremony to open their third facility at the Navy Yard.

The completion of this cell and gene therapy manufacturing building adds to the rapidly growing life sciences community at the Navy Yard which with a total of 750,000 square feet, is now home to the highest concentration of privately leased life sciences space in the city of Philadelphia.
Read More:
http://www.navyyard.org/theyardblog/...the-navy-yard/

Conshohocken
After a lot of proposals and ideas thrown around, a development in Conshohocken is finally underway.

Apartment Community Near Train Station Moving Forward with Construction
51 Washington St.
Directly between the river and the Septa train station "shack." As of a few weeks ago when I took the train there was a lot of foundation work underway.

Quote:
The property involved, 51 Washington Street, has been approved for an apartment community since 2013. The property was sold by O'Neill Properties to Mack-Cali in 2014. Mack-Cali operates an apartment company called Roseland Property Group, which is now developing the site.
Read More:
http://morethanthecurve.com/apartmen...-construction/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 4:05 PM
Me?!?

One of the downsides of progress I suppose:

Newall: A search for city places that are gone
Updated: JANUARY 6, 2017 — 7:38 PM EST
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Ne...tle-petes.html

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
A long time lurker that is finally joining the discussion to provide some updates. I'll try to get some pictures next week.

Navy Yard

40 New Guest Rooms Anchor Courtyard Philadelphia South as Top Choice in The Navy Yard

Read more here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp.../10/19/CG20572

-The Marriott Courtyard expansion is completely framed out. They are installing windows and it looks like they are nearing the final phase of exterior work. This went up pretty quick in the span of ~4 months.

Liberty Property Trust pre-leases 26,000 square feet to Penn Capital at 1200 intrepid Ave

Read More:
http://www.navyyard.org/theyardblog/...-intrepid-ave/

-I believe work on this building is complete. Penn Capital moved several months ago (had a friend that made the move). They previously held a smaller space in 3 Crescent Dr.

351 Rouse Blvd.
Adaptimmune US Headquarters. Work on this building is progressing. I haven't been directly in front of it, but from a few blocks away it appears much of the exterior work is complete. That said I think it was supposed to be completed in 2016.

WuXi AppTec Third Laboratory Ribbon Cutting

Read More:
http://www.navyyard.org/theyardblog/...the-navy-yard/

Conshohocken
After a lot of proposals and ideas thrown around, a development in Conshohocken is finally underway.

Apartment Community Near Train Station Moving Forward with Construction
51 Washington St.
Directly between the river and the Septa train station "shack." As of a few weeks ago when I took the train there was a lot of foundation work underway.

Read More:
http://morethanthecurve.com/apartmen...-construction/
Thank you for the updates and welcome to the forum

Nice to see the Navy Yard chugging along, and something finally moving forward in Conshohocken.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 8:20 PM

Great 28-minute film about Philly's recently becoming a World Heritage City. Watch it full-screen or, better yet, on a big-screen TV. It'll make you proud.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 6:14 PM

Posted on OFC's Facebook page on Dec 31

"OCF Realty is excited to announce that less than three months after our client purchased the Royal Theater, we have submitted for permits to demolish the deteriorating portions of the building while preserving its facade. This is the first major step toward the redevelopment of the site, which we expect to begin in March of 2017. We have begun notifying neighbors of the impending demolition and are eager to work with both near neighbors and the broader community to improve upon our designs and deliver a project that makes sense for everyone. In an effort to engage as many people as possible, we'll be working with both SOSNA and SSWBA to make presentations to the larger community in the next month or so. In addition, we are looking forward to meeting with immediate neighbors on both Kater and South Streets over the coming weeks to continue to improve upon our plan. The current plan includes a mixed-use building on South Street with a row of town homes on Kater.
Demolition will begin as soon as next week. By the end of January, we are hopeful that everything will be gone, except for the façade, which we are committed to preserve and restore. Liz Scott, OCFs project manager for the Royal Theater, will be on site daily during demolition activity to help ensure that the demolition and structural bracing teams carry out their jobs safely and with the least interruption to neighbors. While we’re sad to see the building go, we’re all really excited to make this amazing property an important part of the neighborhood again. Thanks, and Happy New Year!"

Walked past there this morning. Scissor lift out front and some caution tape, but no signs of heavy demo or permits.

On another note in the neighborhood, Omega Pizza at 22nd and South is closed and demo has started. Building will be replaced by apartments over a WaWa.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Great 28-minute film about Philly's recently becoming a World Heritage City. Watch it full-screen or, better yet, on a big-screen TV. It'll make you proud.
This was a great video! I wish it went on longer than 30 min. Very high quality production. We need more of these!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalla04 View Post
This was a great video! I wish it went on longer than 30 min. Very high quality production. We need more of these!
We HAVE more of these.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRk...__2JPGnx0SZqOA

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Personally I think the biggest thing that could be done to improve walkability in the area would be light rail in the middle of Columbus Blvd from Penn's Landing to Oregon Avenue. Maybe even a subterranean extension of the Green Line trolleys?
I guess in a world of unlimited transportation funds, that'd be fine. But it's always struck me as very misguided in the world we live in. Putting a transportation line along the water is never desirable: you halve the pedestrian shed you draw from since fish don't take public transportation. To make the numbers work, you'd end up needing *way* more units along the waterfront than are realistic.

Making assumptions that trolleys will greatly increase ridership over existing bur routes has fared poorly in the past both here (Route 15) and elsewhere. Route 25, which goes all the way to the Frankford Transportation Center, is bottom third in route ridership, with roughly half the daily riders per mile than a route like the 57. I'd be willing to bet that limiting it to the Columbus Blvd portion would firmly in the bottom ten. Pennsporters on third street aren't going to walk under 95 and cross Columbus Blvd to save four minutes of ride time; they're just going to take the 57.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 4:37 PM

They city would probably be better off removing most bus routes and just subsidizing a certain amount of uber rides per month etc. Stuff like uber is eventually going to kill most public transportation because bureaucracies simply are too stupid and inefficient to wake up and get it right.

Why do we need more public transportation when the city won't properly utilize the subways etc it has now? Subways make possible / are only useful for super dense living. If they aren't going to make the area around all the subway stops CMX-4 / 5 then why do we need more?

If the city properly utilized it's current subways, when they became saturated they'd build another I guarantee it because they'd actually add value and pay for themselves.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 4:43 PM

What's being built on 8th Street around Lombard? I drove by this weekend and first saw a construction site and figured it was townhomes but then I saw a concrete core. What gives?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
They city would probably be better off removing most bus routes and just subsidizing a certain amount of uber rides per month etc. Stuff like uber is eventually going to kill most public transportation because bureaucracies simply are too stupid and inefficient to wake up and get it right.

Why do we need more public transportation when the city won't properly utilize the subways etc it has now? Subways make possible / are only useful for super dense living. If they aren't going to make the area around all the subway stops CMX-4 / 5 then why do we need more?

If the city properly utilized it's current subways, when they became saturated they'd build another I guarantee it because they'd actually add value and pay for themselves.
for a host of reasons (cost and congestion chief among them) Uber will never replace public transportation. Road capacity is going to be the same no matter what- so increasing the number of cars on the road with tens of thousands of hailed rides would lead to even more gridlock than you have now in major urban areas. Not to mention you would never be able to make ride hailing as cheap as the per ride costs for public transportation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
One of the downsides of progress I suppose:

Newall: A search for city places that are gone
Updated: JANUARY 6, 2017 — 7:38 PM EST
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Ne...tle-petes.html
But isn't Little Petes moving? I don't think we're actually losing it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
What's being built on 8th Street around Lombard? I drove by this weekend and first saw a construction site and figured it was townhomes but then I saw a concrete core. What gives?
Is it the Society Hill playhouse site? If so, a 26 unit condo building... which would explain the concrete core.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/...hill-playhouse

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
for a host of reasons (cost and congestion chief among them) Uber will never replace public transportation. Road capacity is going to be the same no matter what- so increasing the number of cars on the road with tens of thousands of hailed rides would lead to even more gridlock than you have now in major urban areas. Not to mention you would never be able to make ride hailing as cheap as the per ride costs for public transportation.
ya but most of these buses run nearly dead. it'd be more efficient to heavily reduce the bus routes and just give people some uber credit. then you can just keep some main line bus routes and have them very frequently run. It'd also be insanely more economical for the rider to go exactly where they are going at the exact moment they need to go there. This will make a lot more neighborhoods viable and bring them out of poverty.

Also with this setup you could have people double up, uber to the very frequently run bus stop / subway then uber from the end stop. it would probably take less extra uber drivers on the road than you'd think.

High tech point to point (congested traffic avoidance, demand / event predictions, etc), with the economical benefits to the rider, even against subsidized public transport will probably eventually win out anyways especially if the city won't properly utilize the land around the subway stops. The city might as well make it official, subsidize uber so 1 token takes you 1-2 miles then otherwise take one of the remaining running mainline bus routes or subways. If not uber then start it's own septa clone of uber.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
ya but most of these buses run nearly dead. it'd be more efficient to heavily reduce the bus routes and just give people some uber credit. then you can just keep some main line bus routes and have them very frequently run. It'd also be insanely more economical for the rider to go exactly where they are going at the exact moment they need to go there. This will make a lot more neighborhoods viable and bring them out of poverty.

Also with this setup you could have people double up, uber to the very frequently run bus stop / subway then uber from the end stop. it would probably take less extra uber drivers on the road than you'd think.

High tech point to point (congested traffic avoidance, demand / event predictions, etc), with the economical benefits to the rider, even against subsidized public transport will probably eventually win out anyways especially if the city won't properly utilize the land around the subway stops. The city might as well make it official, subsidize uber so 1 token takes you 1-2 miles then otherwise take one of the remaining running mainline bus routes or subways. If not uber then start it's own septa clone of uber.
efficient for whom? A bus can carry 45-70 people on ONE vehicle. Spreading all those riders out into cars isn't efficient or smart. Most buses do not empty. bus schedules and sizes are set based on ridership rates so if riders drop the frequency of buses on a line will be adjusted accordingly. Subways are an entirely different matter because they carry far more people per trip than buses. Replacing that with several hundred individual rides in cars on our congested streets would be beyond silly and it would increase travel times for many. Once you increase the number of cars on the road without any increase in capacity you end up with problems- hence traffic is worse during a SEPTA strike than it is otherwise. You can't just shift tens of thousands of people to cars without any detrimental consequences. As for connecting poor neighborhoods with opportunity, most of the city's poorest areas are within 3-5 miles of the core of the city and are well served by multiple transit options. If you are talking about connecting them to jobs in King of Prussia or the 202 corridor than there is NO efficient way to do that, with or without subsidized uber rides.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:10 PM

Slightly Revised Plan Emerges For Former Foxwoods Site

Quote:
Last week, Philly.com provided an update on the project, sharing the news that Tower had subdivided the property and pulled permits for the supermarket. Aldi is no longer the tenant, and Tower isn't commenting on which supermarket operator will be taking over. Also, based on the newest brochure from MSC Retail, we see that a number of retailers have signed on to join the new shopping center. We also found that the layout of the shopping center has changed while the plan for the stacked condos, townhouses, and pier townhomes remains the same.

For those complaining that this was pretty much a suburban shopping center dropped onto the Philadelphia waterfront, we don't imagine that this tenant list will do much to change your perspective. On the other hand, we can wrap our minds around the idea of people wanting to live in mid-rise buildings in this shopping center, with river views and a mildly harrowing walk across Columbus Blvd. to get to town. We're even more convinced that the residential units behind the shopping center will be a success, and though we'd prefer a tower we don't believe that it would be financially viable.
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-foxwoods-site

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:14 PM

I think I'm okay with this project... unfortunately this area is just not ready to accommodate urban development. This is sort of Urban-lite. I like the town homes and green space on the waterfront.

I think if we focus urban development and building up the area between Washington and Girard along the waterfront and capping parts of I-95 through Center City, then this area south of Washington Ave will eventually build up and become more urban in the future.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:

Your posts demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of the entire point of Public of Transit and its benefits, not to mention the business plans of Uber and Lyft.

The whole point of public transit is that it is cheaper and more efficient to move a lot of people on one bus, trolley, subway, train etc. as opposed to each of them traveling in their own vehicle. Basic economies of scale. If public transit devolves into everyone in their own individual uber car, it ceases to have a point.

Ride sharing is definitely having an effect on public transit, but in the long run that affect will be minimal. Even today, the difference in price be SEPTA fare (1.80) and an UBER or Lyft ride is significant. But what you fail to realize is that current Uber and Lyft prices are massively deflated.

At this stage in the game, the most important thing for both companies is to grab as much market share as they can. To do this they artificially lower their prices through enormous investor contributions. But this can't last forever. Despite how enormous Uber is and how successful it is perceived to be, it doesn't come close to turning a profit. Eventually that will be a problem, eventually, like every company, Uber will be expected to make more money than it spends. When that day comes Uber and Lyft will both be significantly more expensive than either is today and will fall more in line with the cost of cabs.

Cabs have been around forever and plenty of people still took the bus or the subway. At the end of the day it's the cabs that will suffer, not the buses or the subways. Uber and Lyft isn't a fundamentally new idea, it's just a better way of handling an idea that has been around for a century.

That said, SEPTA shouldn't ignore ride sharing technology. Cabs and PT have often worked hand in hand, and ride sharing's greatest inovation has been the ease of use, which could certainly benefit SEPTA. People frequently take a train into town and then a cab to their exact destination etc. If someone could open an app, input their destination and then purchase an itinerary that included a Uber ride to a train station and then the train fare itself, that would be interesting. So I agree that SEPTA should look into the best way to utilize this innovation. But removing the majority of bus routes and replacing them with Uber rides is a really terrible idea.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:22 PM

Super wawa = thumbs up

Wondering if grocery store will be oriented toward street or parking lot.. and same for other stores, usually its towards parking.. would create weird blank wall on columbus.

I like the riverfront housing, 700+ units is great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development