HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
I'm glad some bucket signs are still around. For nostalgia purposes.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:01 AM
Registered Drug User

The Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich and waffle fries are delicious. Are they worth waiting a half hour in line for? Well, for my wife and I, maybe if you're in the mood to wait. Which we have been twice now. I guess we got reeled in by the novelty factor.

Is the chicken sandwich better than the one at Popeye's, which is much easier and quicker to get? I wouldn't say so. But Chick-fil-A certainly has got a reputation that has made for pent-up demand, no question about that. I assume that they're one of the most prominent case studies in university marketing courses these days.

Last edited by rousseau; Nov 19, 2021 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:42 PM

I've never bothered stopping at one on my past trips to the US, but I would be willing to try Chick Fil A whenever it opens up locally. I will definitely not be waiting a half hour for it, though.

My expectations are pretty tempered... people were going bonkers for Popeyes and lining up when it first opened here a few years ago. I finally got around to trying it last winter and it was basically the same as KFC. I would expect Chick Fil A to be similar.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My expectations are pretty tempered... people were going bonkers for Popeyes and lining up when it first opened here a few years ago. I finally got around to trying it last winter and it was basically the same as KFC. I would expect Chick Fil A to be similar.
I remember having Popeyes in DC years ago and being unimpressed and that was before they started their big Canadian push. Some people like it but I don't think it's revered at any level more than KFC is. It's....fine? A Mary Brown's opened up near to me but I haven't ventured over yet.

There's a good local place here called City Fried Chicken at Donlands Station and they have some of the best i've tried in Toronto. It's next to Ha Gow, which is some pretty good east end dim sum, too!

Already made my feelings known re: CFA.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I remember having Popeyes in DC years ago and being unimpressed and that was before they started their big Canadian push. Some people like it but I don't think it's revered at any level more than KFC is. It's....fine? A Mary Brown's opened up near to me but I haven't ventured over yet.
I think people just like to get excited about new restaurants. I mean, whatever works... I like to get excited about silly things too, it's just that fast food restaurants aren't one of those things I get excited about.

One can only do so much with fried chicken.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think I've said this before but KFC (PFK) seems like it's slowly winding down in Quebec.

They closed a long-time location (it was probably there close to 50 years) on the main boulevard with all the fast food places near where I live, but we still have one left in a very "proletarian" neighbourhood about 5 km from here.

It still has a bucket sign along the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...YsQpx96BAhJEAg

Burger King is also visibly dying here. I don't know how the location near me survives.

A&W is doing great though and is even expanding.

Harvey's is stagnant.

McDonald's is very stable, as is Tim Hortons.

Wendy's doesn't have much of a presence here.

I've never been to Popeye's or Chick-Fil-A.

Popeye's is in Ottawa but AFAIK Chick-Fil-A is not.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:20 PM
sick transit, gloria

There are certainly better fried chicken places in Toronto, but for something quick and cheap Popeyes is head and shoulders above the other fast food option(s). The chicken sandwich in particular is legitimately good even without taking the price point into account. Again, I've had better, but usually for twice the price.

Also actually been to Popeyes in a non-touristy part of New Orleans (thanks, hangover) and the quality is only a bit better than here. Locals will claim that Louisiana locations are somehow better than in other places, and it does inexplicably makes lists of places to eat fried chicken in the city - albeit not at the top.

Never been to Chick-fil-A, and wasn't prepared to wait in line at the Yonge-Bloor one when it opened near(ish) my office. If I could walk in and out maybe I'd try it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think I've said this before but KFC (PFK) seems like it's slowly winding down in Quebec.

They closed a long-time location (it was probably there close to 50 years) on the main boulevard with all the fast food places near where I live, but we still have one left in a very "proletarian" neighbourhood about 5 km from here.

KFC occupied the same space 40 years ago that many Asian restaurants have now, i.e. it was the take out food that was appropriate for a Sunday dinner or to serve guests at a casual gathering in a middle class household. That is not really the case quite so much now... KFC has a bit of a déclassé image. So it stands to reason that the restaurants are fading away somewhat. Which is ironic given the growth in fried chicken restaurants in general.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...YsQpx96BAhJEAg

Burger King is also visibly dying here. I don't know how the location near me survives.

A&W is doing great though and is even expanding.

Harvey's is stagnant.

McDonald's is very stable, as is Tim Hortons.

Wendy's doesn't have much of a presence here.

I've never been to Popeye's or Chick-Fil-A.

Popeye's is in Ottawa but AFAIK Chick-Fil-A is not.
The PFK in Hull was in such a state of disrepair I thought for a long time it was closed. Turns out it was still open and they eventually replaced the faded-out sign after many years. I have seen other locations in a similar state in Quebec, and I think some in Ontario too.

Burger King has closed quite a few locations in Ontario too. It doesn’t look as though business is super good in the locations that have remained open.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
KFC occupied the same space 40 years ago that many Asian restaurants have now, i.e. it was the take out food that was appropriate for a Sunday dinner or to serve guests at a casual gathering in a middle class household. That is not really the case quite so much now... KFC has a bit of a déclassé image. So it stands to reason that the restaurants are fading away somewhat. Which is ironic given the growth in fried chicken restaurants in general.
I was just thinking that Quebec is very much a rôtisserie chicken place, and while KFC did carve out a place for itself here, there probably is fairly limited market space in that niche for the others.

Though as KFC retreats somewhat, perhaps the other more en vogue fried chicken chains might find some room.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
I was just thinking that Quebec is very much a rôtisserie chicken place, and while KFC did carve out a place for itself here, there probably is fairly limited market space in that niche for the others.

Though as KFC retreats somewhat, perhaps the other more en vogue fried chicken chains might find some room.
It's interesting that KFC can't seem to reinvent itself given that it is kind of the granddaddy of the whole sector.

Also true re: Quebec's fondness for rotisserie chicken... I guess that must account for a good chunk of the chicken market there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Burger King has closed quite a few locations in Ontario too. It doesn’t look as though business is super good in the locations that have remained open.
I used to go to Burger King on the regular when I was in high school but I hadn't been in years. I took my kids a couple of times recently as a treat and I was shocked to see the interiors were unchanged since the early 90s. They're all big restaurants with way more seating than McDonald's, but they're all empty... just these big, drab restaurants with a couple of senior citizens nursing coffees. Not a good sign.

Funny thing is I actually like their product, they make my favourite fast food burgers. Whoppers...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
BK has opened two new locations to me within a 10 minute walk, one of which replaced another former burger spot. Probably my least favourite of the really big fast food burger chains.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's interesting that KFC can't seem to reinvent itself given that it is kind of the granddaddy of the whole sector.

Also true re: Quebec's fondness for rotisserie chicken... I guess that must account for a good chunk of the chicken market there.
It's not just St-Hubert, there are a couple of other largish Quebec chains as well.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

there are the chains, and then there is the best of all (the one that inspired Swiss Chalet in Ontario, an extremely poor substitute). This is the king of all the rotisserie joints. The one and only. At Sherbrooke and Girouard, in NDG (Montreal)

tripadvisor, wikipedia

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:51 PM
recession proof

All this talk of fried chicken has made me hungry. My lunch: https://www.presidentschoice.ca/prod...rs/21079451_EA
+
https://www.presidentschoice.ca/prod...ns/20964828_EA
+
mayo, pickle, low fat cheese, lettuce

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:17 PM

Benny & Co. is my go-to place for rotisserie chicken. It is mostly a Quebec chain, but they started opening locations in Ottawa. Not only it is cheaper than St-Hubert, but it is also better. I stopped going to Swiss Chalet after a number of bad experiences there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:40 PM

I just finished having Swiss Chalet for lunch. With the CAA 10% discount, the family meal of a whole bird, four sides, sauce and four buns comes out to $30. Based on me alone, I can get six meals out of that. If I were in my 20s I could plow through that in four meals, but smaller portions these days so I don't pack on the pounds or feel bloated. But anyway, it's for my wife and three year old too.

I don't eat anything else from there. I'm sure it's all fine, but I look for value, especially during the work week. $5 for a meal that you don't have to cook, can't go wrong.

I've always liked St. Huberts as well and almost always gotta have it once when I'm in QC because of the good value for rotisserie. Wasn't aware of any other chains. Guess I'll have to try if I come across one.

Also good value is the Spoon and Fork in Oakville (Chinese) where the portions are excellent. They jam pack the containers and they come with rice. Two dishes and the rice for just under $28 and I can once again get six meals out of that, though I have to make additional white rice on my own, which costs pennies. It's not Spadina (Chinatown) quality, but it's equal or better that a lot of Suburban places outside of Markham and Richmond Hill.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:50 PM
recession proof

The problem with SC is the high sodium content (and eating out in general.) I've figured out how to turn a $10 chicken into 6-7 meals: twice a month so I don't get sick of chicken. SC buns are baked by Grupo Bimbo, the sides (veggies) are frozen, the gravy probably comes in powder.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada