HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 12:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They'll be fine. There's been a citywide initiative for years now to plant trees - even in places where people don't want them. As far as what these trees are planted in, an arcitle from a couple of pages back...
http://www.constructiondigital.com/s...-memorial-site
Thanks for the link!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 4:16 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 8:56 PM

hammering in the transit hub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue50gljJLEY

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
JACKinBeantown

The trees are getting the fall foliage.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 8:24 AM
New Yorker for life

A look again at the WFC connection. I still believe that the Wintergarden looks more plain and ordinary withought the grand stairs.
The goal is to achieve one, long, continuous indoor shopping/transit concourse all the way from the Fulton Street Transit Center,
stopping midway in the WTC/PATH concourse, and finally ending up here...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 1:45 PM

It isn't even a good redesign - just plopping down a few support columns and a walkway in place of the stairs. All for a generic food court that I could find in my hometown in North Dakota.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:01 PM

Tearing down the stairs would be tragic. WFC is one of the greatest masterpieces of postmodernism anywhere in the world, largely because of the Winter Garden. Is anyone trying to stop these idiots?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 6:40 PM

I have to say I think it's a shame to lose the stairs. I would have preferred an option that provided sufficient width for commuters entering the WFC to pass around the staircase.

I would leave the staircase intact and extend the viewing area at the top of the stairs out above the escalators so that people going up the stairs would have an amazing view of the site. ( Extend the floor at the top of the stairs out to the depth of the glass box that is shown above perhaps.. Maybe have that floor in glass to keep the asthetics?).

Pity as it seems the decision has been made as alternative designs were deemed impractical.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:26 AM
New Yorker for life

The biggest concern for Brookfield seems to be the view through the wintergard being blocked by the stairs. Currently there is sufficient space beneath the stairway for pedestrian circulation (the stairway is elevated). But Brookfield would prefer and indoor connection, similar to what was in play when the skybridge led to the grand stairs. The funny thing is, it could be built the way things are now, but its the view towards the river Brookfield wants people to see upon arrival from the escalators. City Planning chair Amanda Burden is not a fan of the idea and may try to disrupt plans.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

BTW, the Port Authority now expects to have the Pavilion fully clad by next Sept 11th.

sjipp

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

ny1

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:28 PM

I think this is relevant here since it is a picture of the original north bridge.

NYguy, is this facing the WTC or the WFC? I'm guessing WFC and the Winter Garden but I'm not certain.

Found another one from a later date that seems to face the Winter Garden for sure.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 7:13 PM

Your second picture looks like the South Bridge, judging by the floor pattern, and I'm fairly certain the top picture is facing the financial center, because of the shadows coming in from the left side, meaning you're facing West.

This leads me to ask, are you sure this too is the North Bridge? I only ask because if this was facing the Winter Garden, I'd expect to see more light at the end of the walkway.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:34 AM

Near as I can tell, they are both definitely the North Bridge. The give-away is the ceiling, and the entire width overall. The South Bridge is much narrower in comparison.

Looking at the signs mounted from the ceiling in the bottom picture, it looks like it is facing the Winter Garden. Matches your conclusion.

South Bridge today:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:36 PM

Wow a lot thinner then I remember. Nice find on those pictures. It is interesting the few little things left from the world trade center.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:50 AM

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the exterior design?

As WFC's "front door" on West Street and the Memorial you'd think they would put more thought into it.

the squared off roof line doesnt work well with the rounded roof. I wish the could have echoed the arch of the winter garden on a smaller scale.

could they have taken the escalators up another level to the second floor landing? maybe with some moving side walk transition if necessary.

you are comign up from below the ground andway. it's not like you get a str8 shot of the river and the winter garden from within the EW connector.

i could live with the stair case being removed as it gives brookfield more usable space but the sqyuared off front doesnt look iconic to me.. they missed a chance to re market their property with a new entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

It's appealing... I too wish it echoed the barrel vault of the Winter Garden. They could, for example, keep the flat roof of the entry pavilion but change the shape to a half-circle, and keep the web columns inside.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:50 PM
BROOKLYN

I love the new atrium but the rose garden iconic facade will be missed (at least from the west side). Does anyone know how the Transit Hub is doing??

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture