HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 8:56 PM
TEXAS BORN AND RAISED

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAonFire View Post
I hate that this design submission is considered acceptable by the HDRC! What a shame and missed opportunity at designing and building something unique, beautiful, and on a grand scale to be proud of! I would rather scratch the construction of these buildings for now and wait until a better design or firm stepped into the picture to deliver a quality proposal. I'm sorry but Post Lake Capital Partners dropped the ball on this one! ������
Based on the San Antonio Report article: "A handful of downtown residents and others, including a representative of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, spoke against those plans saying the design and height of the building was not appropriate for the site."

Let me guess 3 to 5 old geezers they hand selected off the street where the ones that made these comments. And I'm so sick and tired of the conservation society and HDCD getting in the way of progress. Seriously every single P.O.S building is considered historic in their eyes. They act like hoarders who are afraid of throwing old trash out and building something new and beautiful. And our city reflects that attitude. Old, run down, and beige buildings pollute our city.No skyscrapers or amazing buildings will ever be built here. No wonder Austin is leaving us in the dust. We will forever be a third rate city lead by people who lack vision.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 8:57 PM
TEXAS BORN AND RAISED

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAonFire View Post
I hate that this design submission is considered acceptable by the HDRC! What a shame and missed opportunity at designing and building something unique, beautiful, and on a grand scale to be proud of! I would rather scratch the construction of these buildings for now and wait until a better design or firm stepped into the picture to deliver a quality proposal. I'm sorry but Post Lake Capital Partners dropped the ball on this one! ������
Based on the San Antonio Report article: "A handful of downtown residents and others, including a representative of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, spoke against those plans saying the design and height of the building was not appropriate for the site."

Let me guess 3 to 5 old geezers they hand selected off the street where the ones that made these comments. And I'm so sick and tired of the conservation society and HDRC getting in the way of progress. Seriously every single P.O.S building is considered historic in their eyes. They act like hoarders who are afraid of throwing old trash out and building something new and beautiful. And our city reflects that attitude. Old, run down, and beige buildings pollute our city.No skyscrapers or amazing buildings will ever be built here. No wonder Austin is leaving us in the dust. We will forever be a third rate city lead by people who lack vision.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan-B-SATX View Post

Let me guess 3 to 5 old geezers they hand selected off the street where the ones that made these comments. And I'm so sick and tired of the conservation society and HDRC getting in the way of progress. Seriously every single P.O.S building is considered historic in their eyes. They act like hoarders who are afraid of throwing old trash out and building something new and beautiful. And our city reflects that attitude. Old, run down, and beige buildings pollute our city.No skyscrapers or amazing buildings will ever be built here. No wonder Austin is leaving us in the dust. We will forever be a third rate city lead by people who lack vision.
A comment so nice, he posted it twice.

I've been railing for some time about what constitutes "historical" vs. "old" on these boards, only to usually be shouted down by the more conservative around here. There should only be a few untouchable buildings based on their historical value, but we seem to value any building built before or around the time of Hemisfair a little too much.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:51 AM

The HDRC is an easy target. But they're not responsible for the vast majority of projects covered on this forum that don't get built, or do get built. Economic factors play the biggest role by far. The HDRC does more good than harm for the city.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:26 AM

Phase One of Civic Park due to open Friday, September 29th in conjunction with JazzSALive which formerly was at Travis Park. Sucks that it's gonna miss San Japan by about three weeks.

https://youtu.be/2oA0NZsBSDk

One interesting thing that sticks out in this new interview is the comment about the 2025 Final Four around the 17 minute mark. "The second phase will be some hardscape along Market Street and the corner of South Alamo and Market, and that will open at the end of next year. I'm curious as to what this will actually look like; my guess is it will be packed-down gravel with some wide plaza cobblestone panels kind of like what Maverick Plaza in La Villita currently looks like pending the construction of 3 new restaurants. The NCAA hasn't released any specifics about what their event schedule and venues will be like but if both those lots for the apartment and hotel are gonna be opened up my worries about the event will be gone.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
That's an interesting, informative video. My mind is boggled by the fact that it's produced by Mission Park Funeral Homes, and that it's hosted by a guy named Dick Tips.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 4:04 PM

Those trees are looking so great. The rain that never was, unfortunately yesterday. The Grand Hyatt represents the dark side.

Last edited by SpiritofSeguin; Jul 24, 2023 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 5:46 PM

Any news on the deadline the city gave developers for the property. It was end of July. I’d assume we’d see a meeting soon

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 4:52 AM

At long last, it's finally starting to look like something.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 6:26 AM

This is literally the most brutal moment in human history to be planting mature trees. I wish them the best.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 1:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
This is literally the most brutal moment in human history to be planting mature trees. I wish them the best.
I was just thinking I hope they water them 24/7.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 7:11 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I thought the same thing when they put in the new trees on N St Marys this month... big trees look good for a ribbon cutting but are also much more difficult to establish than smaller trees, especially in this heat. I hope they have a good irrigation system!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 3:13 AM

From the Hemisfair Instagram concerning the new trees:

"Sustainability is always a priority for us, and we are so glad to have our nuisance water system in place - especially during the extreme heat we've experienced the past few weeks! Each day 18,000 gallons of treated nuisance water is being used to water our newly planted and existing trees inside Civic Park.

This water consists of groundwater and air conditioning concentrate found around the basement of the Convention Center. It previously flowed into the city's stormwater collection system, but is treated and used for Civic Park's irrigation and water features."

I'm gonna try to cough up the dough for a ticket to the Tower and get some photos now that the grass is being planted. Hopefully I don't get stuck in the elevator...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 12:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
From the Hemisfair Instagram concerning the new trees:

"Sustainability is always a priority for us, and we are so glad to have our nuisance water system in place - especially during the extreme heat we've experienced the past few weeks! Each day 18,000 gallons of treated nuisance water is being used to water our newly planted and existing trees inside Civic Park.

This water consists of groundwater and air conditioning concentrate found around the basement of the Convention Center. It previously flowed into the city's stormwater collection system, but is treated and used for Civic Park's irrigation and water features."

I'm gonna try to cough up the dough for a ticket to the Tower and get some photos now that the grass is being planted. Hopefully I don't get stuck in the elevator...
Thanks. Good to know they're using a sustainable recycled watering system.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 10:54 PM

I'm gonna try to cough up the dough for a ticket to the Tower and get some photos now that the grass is being planted. Hopefully I don't get stuck in the elevator...[/QUOTE]

FYI, for the elevator ride up, Tell them you are going to the bar, they don't charge you to go up, have an adult beverage then go to the observation deck and click away!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 12:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satxsnkrs View Post

FYI, for the elevator ride up, Tell them you are going to the bar, they don't charge you to go up, have an adult beverage then go to the observation deck and click away!
Thanks for the tip!

What time does the bar open? Seems like the morning sun from the east would provide the best light on the buildings, which are primarily to the northwest.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 9:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
While the APT building is less than desirable, FINALLY.

That is going to be a tough timeline for that hotel.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 3:50 PM
James

Hemisfair greenlights three key projects to bring apartments, hotel and retail to former World's Fair site

'Our partners’ dedication to the Hemisfair transformation is critical as we are set to open one of the world’s great public places, Civic Park, in just a few weeks.'

Quote:
By Ramzi Abou Ghalioum – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 14, 2023
Three projects key to the redevelopment of Hemisfair have been given the green light, ushering in a new era for the former World's Fair site.

Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., the entity overseeing Hemisfair's transformation, announced Aug. 14 its conclusion of the due diligence phase of development agreements it struck with Zachry Hospitality, Post Lake Capital Partners and AREA Real Estate. That means 450 residential units, 70,000 square feet of retail space and a hotel will be the latest additions to the area.

"It is great news to share that our three development partners have completed the due diligence phase of the lease agreements and are ready to get started on the next phases,” said HPARC CEO Andres Andujar. “Our partners’ dedication to the Hemisfair transformation is critical as we are set to open one of the world’s great public places, Civic Park, in just a few weeks.”

Earlier this summer, Andujar told the Business Journal that the end of July would be a critical time for Hemisfair's redevelopment as its partners officially accepted their projects. As HPARC winds down the first phase of Civic Park, the second and final phase is set to begin construction as well, with a completion date set for NCAA Men's Final Four in 2025, which San Antonio is hosting. Bids for the $15.8 million project were due in February.

Zachry Hospitality will be the first to break ground this fall on a 200-key hotel with ground-level retail that was given the final green-light by the city in last September. The area had originally been earmarked for a hotel and office property, but that project was shelved for a new version without an office development.

“As Hemisfair gears up to open its long-awaited green spaces at Civic Park, our team is thrilled to announce, ‘It’s a go!’ for an authentic, one-of-a-kind Curio Collection by Hilton product,” said Zachry Corp. Vice President of Public and Government Affairs Tara Snowden.

Upon final approval, a mixed-use development by Post Lake Capital Partners included a 10-story residential component instead of the original 29.

Post Lake Capital Partners will also develop a 10-story residential tower and a three-story retail building fronting the Riverwalk that is slated to break ground in the fourth quarter of 2024. Previous plans for the development included a 29-story tower that had received initial approval from the city, but those plans were later changed.

Three projects key to the redevelopment of Hemisfair have been given the green light, ushering in a new era for the former World's Fair site.

Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., the entity overseeing Hemisfair's transformation, announced Aug. 14 its conclusion of the due diligence phase of development agreements it struck with Zachry Hospitality, Post Lake Capital Partners and AREA Real Estate. That means 450 residential units, 70,000 square feet of retail space and a hotel will be the latest additions to the area.

"It is great news to share that our three development partners have completed the due diligence phase of the lease agreements and are ready to get started on the next phases,” said HPARC CEO Andres Andujar. “Our partners’ dedication to the Hemisfair transformation is critical as we are set to open one of the world’s great public places, Civic Park, in just a few weeks.”

Earlier this summer, Andujar told the Business Journal that the end of July would be a critical time for Hemisfair's redevelopment as its partners officially accepted their projects. As HPARC winds down the first phase of Civic Park, the second and final phase is set to begin construction as well, with a completion date set for NCAA Men's Final Four in 2025, which San Antonio is hosting. Bids for the $15.8 million project were due in February.

Zachry Hospitality will be the first to break ground this fall on a 200-key hotel with ground-level retail that was given the final green-light by the city in last September. The area had originally been earmarked for a hotel and office property, but that project was shelved for a new version without an office development.

“As Hemisfair gears up to open its long-awaited green spaces at Civic Park, our team is thrilled to announce, ‘It’s a go!’ for an authentic, one-of-a-kind Curio Collection by Hilton product,” said Zachry Corp. Vice President of Public and Government Affairs Tara Snowden.

Upon final approval, a mixed-use development by Post Lake Capital Partners included a 10-story residential component instead of the original 29.

Post Lake Capital Partners will also develop a 10-story residential tower and a three-story retail building fronting the Riverwalk that is slated to break ground in the fourth quarter of 2024. Previous plans for the development included a 29-story tower that had received initial approval from the city, but those plans were later changed.

AREA Real Estate, a group led by downtown developer David Adelman, and which also developed the ‘68 Apartments at Hemisfair, is developing a residential building that will also include ground-floor retail that will break ground in summer 2025.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

So, they are going to build this POS?

It could be worse, but it looks like any other 5-over-2 in the country/world, except it's 8-over-2.

https://sanantonioreport.org/hemisfa...ail-buildings/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio