HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder View Post
That's good to hear, I spent a few days there several years ago with my family at Christmas and it was quite nice. At the time though I wondered at how the hotel could stay open in winter - the market for cold weather outdoor enthusiasts seems like it would be pretty thin. But the hotel itself was very nicely renovated and I bet it would be pretty fun there in the summer.
Amazing (Hecla Island,) for camping ,golf,boating,hiking,fishing,snow shoeing,cross country skiing etc.As a former employee of the Palleta's, Lakeview will do and amazing job here, bank on it.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:14 PM

The Regina Beach Yacht Club reopened this weekend after it had to be demolished due to the flooding in 2011. It is an amazing addition to the waterfront at Regina Beach. It is includes a bar modeled after a 1951 Chris Craft, including the inlaid mahogany, authentic bow light and chrome Chris Craft logo.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:20 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The Regina Beach Yacht Club reopened this weekend after it had to be demolished due to the flooding in 2011. It is an amazing addition to the waterfront at Regina Beach. It is includes a bar modeled after a 1951 Chris Craft, including the inlaid mahogany, authentic bow light and chrome Chris Craft logo.

Wow, well done. I was worried the flooding this year might be bad enough to damage the new building, but glad to see things are fine.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:55 PM

We were discussing moving crude by rail in this thread a while back. Interesting?

April 22, 2013
Rail terminal expansion will move more crude

Enbridge Inc. and privately-held Tundra Energy Marketing Ltd. are working together on a project to bring growing light oil production from Saskatchewan, Manitoba and North Dakota to market by rail.

Under a memorandum of understanding announced last week, each company will own half of a loading terminal near Cromer, Man., which should be able to handle some 60,000 barrels of crude per day early next year.

http://www.joconl.com/article/id5497...peg%20projects

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:53 PM

I love this topic earlier in the thread people were joking about this, maybe those same people would comment now? Train lines.Poor rail infrustructure? Manitoba/Churchill?

It's buisness, It'll happen if the oil companies can make a profit as previously posted.Simple.(please read through this previuos thread to understand this particular topic/ prior posts)

Starting at Post #641 for reference.

Alberta crude may soon be shipped through Churchill

Posted Apr. 12th, 2013 by Robert Arnason

DAUPHIN, Man. — With proposed pipelines to the south and west in jeopardy, Alberta crude could soon be moving through the Port of Churchill, says a spokesperson for the port.

Brad Chase, president of OmniTRAX Canada, which operates the port and a rail line from The Pas, Man., to Churchill, said his firm has been working with oil companies for nearly a year, and a shipping agreement may be imminent.

“We have a number of companies that are very interested,” Chase said at the annual meeting of the Hudson Bay Route Association, held in Dauphin April 3. 

“The companies … are producers, mid marketers ,who trade the product, and refiners…. We’ve been in conversation with all (of them) and have some that, right now, are very close to transaction to move through Churchill.” 

Harrison said the power of the oil industry might convince Transport Canada and shipping industry insurers to extend the season another month.

Oil shipments could also help secure the port’s long-term financial prospects.

http://www.producer.com/2013/04/albe...ugh-churchill/

Last edited by Cyro; May 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:44 PM

Does anybody know where to find info. on property rezoning public hearings in Winnipeg?

I look on the City Clerk's website and it has all the agendas and minutes from various meetings. Last week in the Free Press print edition they had a posting of a public hearing for the Transcona West development, property west of Peguis and north of Ravelston. I'd like to attend the hearing but can't find the print paper and can't find the info online. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Does anybody know where to find info. on property rezoning public hearings in Winnipeg?

I look on the City Clerk's website and it has all the agendas and minutes from various meetings. Last week in the Free Press print edition they had a posting of a public hearing for the Transcona West development, property west of Peguis and north of Ravelston. I'd like to attend the hearing but can't find the print paper and can't find the info online. Any help would be appreciated.
Last Thursday's Freep, pg A4

the meeting is Tues, June 18, 2013

6:00PM

Council Building 510 Main St.

Hope this helps

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:09 PM
ARTchitecture

What ever happened to the "Little Chicago" development in Moose Jaw? I liked the idea of that. Mixed use, right downtown. I think it was 9 storeys including the top mechanical floor.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
What ever happened to the "Little Chicago" development in Moose Jaw? I liked the idea of that. Mixed use, right downtown. I think it was 9 storeys including the top mechanical floor.
Lots of rumours on this forum that seemed to have dried up 2 years ago:

http://www.moosejawforum.com/city-co...ic1417-40.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Last Thursday's Freep, pg A4

the meeting is Tues, June 18, 2013

6:00PM

Council Building 510 Main St.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the help. I'm sure it will be posted on the clerk's website prior to the meeting. But just wasn't sure if there was another place to look.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 7:54 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Lots of rumours on this forum that seemed to have dried up 2 years ago:

http://www.moosejawforum.com/city-co...ic1417-40.html
Well actually there's this.

http://www.moosejawforum.com/moose-j...topic2788.html

Seems as though Little Chicago has hit major delays last year.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 4:20 PM

River is CentrePort’s water fix
Solution may increase cost of major project
By: Martin Cash and Bartley Kives

CENTREPORT Canada plans to draw water from the Assiniboine River to work around a First Nations legal challenge that had stalled the development of the international trade hub on the northwest edge of Winnipeg.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...210215851.html

Is this finally the answer? Desperation time.New Water treatment plant in Headingly?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
River is CentrePort’s water fix
Solution may increase cost of major project
By: Martin Cash and Bartley Kives

CENTREPORT Canada plans to draw water from the Assiniboine River to work around a First Nations legal challenge that had stalled the development of the international trade hub on the northwest edge of Winnipeg.

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/i...04_1668843.jpg

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...210215851.html

Is this finally the answer? Desperation time.New Water treatment plant in Headingly?
Seems like some form of common sense is taking over! Good to see everyone working together and not stonewalling. Seems like a logical solution. Not sure of the volumes flowing down the Assinniboine, but if CentrePort really took off. Say 10 years from now, would the Assinniboine be sufficient to provide water for all of CentrePort without causing some type of disruption to the river itself?

I've also heard recently about the reason for the delays on the CCW. Apparently a lot of the project management, etc. are 20 somethings from BC. Not sure if that's 100% true, but it would make a lot of sense.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 6:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Not sure of the volumes flowing down the Assinniboine, but if CentrePort really took off. Say 10 years from now, would the Assinniboine be sufficient to provide water for all of CentrePort without causing some type of disruption to the river itself?
No. Lots of water available.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Seems like some form of common sense is taking over! Good to see everyone working together and not stonewalling.

I've also heard recently about the reason for the delays on the CCW. Apparently a lot of the project management, etc. are 20 somethings from BC. Not sure if that's 100% true, but it would make a lot of sense.
Sounds like a possible solution,(ahh do it know,soon as possible ),more costly but what are the long term gains? Rather than the annexation of part of Rosser,(which by all accounts would be more cost efficient) Reg: delays with project mangement I have no idea? But if accurate could be causing issues.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a possible solution,(ahh do it know,soon as possible ),more costly but what are the long term gains? Rather than the annexation of part of Rosser,(which by all accounts would be more cost efficient) Reg: delays with project mangement I have no idea? But if accurate could be causing issues.
I don't know if it's getting to the point of make or break for CentrePort. But when they're losing big time clients, it's a kind of "let's get this thing going NOW" mentality. May be more costly now to build this new treatment plant. But it'll get the whole thing rolling, which is what needs to happen IMO.

Just thinking about it, couldn't this new water plant be used to serve places like Headingley and surrounding area as well? Or is Headingley on City water, I have no idea what went on with that annexation deal.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it's getting to the point of make or break for CentrePort. But when they're losing big time clients, it's a kind of "let's get this thing going NOW" mentality. May be more costly now to build this new treatment plant. But it'll get the whole thing rolling, which is what needs to happen IMO.

Just thinking about it, couldn't this new water plant be used to serve places like Headingley and surrounding area as well? Or is Headingley on City water, I have no idea what went on with that annexation deal.
Rosser, Headingley, and everywhere else between Winnipeg and Portage gets their water from the Assiniboine via a plant in St Eustache. I think the new proposal is just speeding up an existing plan to meet increasing demand in the area. Maybe to get additional sources of funding, I'm just guessing.

Since the whole Walkerton thing the feds have funded all RMs (around Winnipeg anyways) to provide municipal water to every single residence, farms included.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Rosser, Headingley, and everywhere else between Winnipeg and Portage gets their water from the Assiniboine via a plant in St Eustache. I think the new proposal is just speeding up an existing plan to meet increasing demand in the area. Maybe to get additional sources of funding, I'm just guessing.

Since the whole Walkerton thing the feds have funded all RMs (around Winnipeg anyways) to provide municipal water to every single residence, farms included.
Okay, thanks. Is the plant in St. Eustache somewhat recent? I guess since the Walkerton thing. So every farm is to get municipal water. That's a big undertaking.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:52 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Water tends to foster growth
Deal lets trade hub boost momentum
By: Martin Cash

That shift in dynamic has been delayed, but it's coming.

Martin McGarry was the Winnipeg agent representing Facebook. He said, "Believe me, it was very, very real."

There may not be another Facebook-sized project waiting in the wings, but McGarry and others are convinced demand for CentrePort is real.

And now that a Plan B for sewer and water servicing for the site has been agreed on, things will start to happen.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...210370171.html

Get the infrastructure and they will come? Isn't that the phrase?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Water tends to foster growth
Deal lets trade hub boost momentum
By: Martin Cash

That shift in dynamic has been delayed, but it's coming.

Martin McGarry was the Winnipeg agent representing Facebook. He said, "Believe me, it was very, very real."

There may not be another Facebook-sized project waiting in the wings, but McGarry and others are convinced demand for CentrePort is real.

And now that a Plan B for sewer and water servicing for the site has been agreed on, things will start to happen.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...210370171.html

Get the infrastructure and they will come? Isn't that the phrase?
Hopefully this will lead to getting an anchor tenant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan