HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 3:11 AM

I've been lurking on ssp for longer than I care to admit. Recently, I have found myself living in the IF area. (Never would have imagined that.) But it's growing on me. Evenings are beautiful around here. I moved from the upper midwest so it took some time for the shock of such a barren, stark environment to wear off. Downtown IF has a lot of potential. I'm eager to see the Marriot rise and create more of a corridor from the freeway. From the downtown exit you might not realize there is a city core. I think some low to mid rise infill will help substantially. CHEERS.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:54 PM
Honored Member

Talking Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I've been lurking on ssp for longer than I care to admit. Recently, I have found myself living in the IF area. (Never would have imagined that.) But it's growing on me. Evenings are beautiful around here. I moved from the upper midwest so it took some time for the shock of such a barren, stark environment to wear off. Downtown IF has a lot of potential. I'm eager to see the Marriot rise and create more of a corridor from the freeway. From the downtown exit you might not realize there is a city core. I think some low to mid rise infill will help substantially. CHEERS.
Welcome aboard, VelvetElvis! Good to have you here.

This really is a beautiful time of year in Idaho Falls. Upper midwest - would that beyond west or east of Chicago?

Yes, there is so much potential for downtown I.F. With all the companies calling now about I.F., since Areva's annoucement and other previous developments etc., hopefully some of less attractive downtown areas can be changed.

Then if some low-mid rises go on the east bank of the Snake River (opposite TCOR) there could be a entirely new "center" to downtown, with TCOR and Snake River Landing.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:00 PM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Agree.. CAES..greatly underestimated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
OK, first and foremost, everyone, have a fun, safe 4th of July, and God bless America.

I figured it was time to do a little update on happenings around town.

Candlewood Suites are open now, and it really didn't take too long to get it done.

Marriott is moving along for sure, faster than I would have expected. Although it won't be 13 stories, it is still going to be a tall building, I would suppose taller than the Hilton.

CAES is getting close to being open, soon we can start accepting the next generation of nuke scientist from all over the world. On a side note, it seems that this venture may have been underestimated and there may end up being too many people who want to study and not enough space.

Snake River Landing's pier is completed and the development is moving along more rapidly than I thought it would. The Quad already has it's shell constructed and it will be looking nice very soon.

Also, anyone who may have read about the whole Washington (state) and Areva saga, I may be reading into something, or maybe I am a little bit optimistic but it seemed to me that Washington may lose it's fuel fabrication plant due to not landing the enrichment plant. I read an article that talked about Areva wanting its enrichment and fabrication plants close together so that the cost of transport was low. If I can find the link to the story I will post it here.

Last but not least, the city of Ammon has a liquior store.

Happy Birthday America!
Good info, IFGUY. I've seen a lot of articles the last month of why WA residents are so ticked off at Gov. Christine Gregoire. MOST, if not all, blame her for WA state's failure to land Areva.

While I don't like to write about politics here, I find it interesting those trying to defeat Gregoire for re-election are adding Areva to their list of her "errors." It seems like other plans were contigent on Areva locating in WA, from what I've read. So I won't be surprised to see additional interest in eastern ID.

Also, I think it was KIFI that had the broadcast this week noting not only how well the economy in eastern Idaho was doing compared to the rest of the U.S. (other areas of ID weren't discussed), where the executive director of Grow Idaho Falls was saying how many phone calls she was now receiving for new businesses.

I do hope Gov. Otter was and will be polite to Gov. Gregoire at future Western Govs meetings, realizing he actually was part of the winning team landing Areva in Idaho.

And yes, I'm hearing the same thing IFGuy, need/want/desire for advanced training that CAES offers, terribly underestimated. People are already relocating from east, midwest and elsewhere to study. IF Some at ISU would focus on what is marketable, in place and practical right now...... CAES should be starting expansion designs.

In the past 6 months, I've been asked a lot where should students (and their families, if they have families) coming to study live during the time they will be in Idaho Falls, should live. I'll bet no one even thought of "student housing," for ISU - IF. The private sector can meet that demand, perhaps faster and beater.

But, it's the total lack of coordination or maybe being so overwhelmed with so many students, that the existing faculty, admin staff etc. don't know where to refer those who are relocating for advanced nuclear training. I'm talking either Ph.Ds, or Post Docs.

The need for education will be met locally. Whether or not that is by the state of ID through ID universities or not, remains to be seen. I'm hoping ISU's Pres. can focus on what he has, not what he wants.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
This really is a beautiful time of year in Idaho Falls. Upper midwest - would that beyond west or east of Chicago?
Thanks N2I.F. That would be north of Milwaukee.
On the advice of a friend, we took in the fireworks on Friday night. It was a very good show and the crowd was large. In total, the crowd had to be larger than the city's pop.. It's good to see so many people gather downtown. There are some nice venues there: Museum of Idaho, Art Museum, Willard Arts Center/ Colonial Theater, all greenbelt festivals. When we moved here, we looked into living downtown. I met with a few business/building owners to inquire about buying a builiding. Found a good one, but there were some significant issues with the current bottom floor lease versus the cost of preventative maintenance and potential recurring monthly expenses. Throw in the fact that almost every sex-offender in the area lives on those blocks and it wouldn't have been right for my little ones. But the city was accomodating to our ideas. I had approval on converting the top floor to housing and the Downtown Development Corp. is willing to help out at the drop of a hat. They are trying to get some momentum started in the historic area with grants and such, but there seems to be a real threshold issue created by many oldtime property owners. That may be one reason why the momentum has been building just outside of those areas and along the river; I.E. SRL.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:46 AM
Honored Member

Cool Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Thanks N2I.F. That would be north of Milwaukee.
On the advice of a friend, we took in the fireworks on Friday night. It was a very good show and the crowd was large. In total, the crowd had to be larger than the city's pop.. It's good to see so many people gather downtown. There are some nice venues there: Museum of Idaho, Art Museum, Willard Arts Center/ Colonial Theater, all greenbelt festivals. When we moved here, we looked into living downtown. I met with a few business/building owners to inquire about buying a builiding. Found a good one, but there were some significant issues with the current bottom floor lease versus the cost of preventative maintenance and potential recurring monthly expenses. Throw in the fact that almost every sex-offender in the area lives on those blocks and it wouldn't have been right for my little ones. But the city was accomodating to our ideas. I had approval on converting the top floor to housing and the Downtown Development Corp. is willing to help out at the drop of a hat. They are trying to get some momentum started in the historic area with grants and such, but there seems to be a real threshold issue created by many oldtime property owners. That may be one reason why the momentum has been building just outside of those areas and along the river; I.E. SRL.
I hope your move has been good for you and your family. N. of Milwaukee, could make Idaho Falls seem "warmer" at times.

Your plans are very really interesting for downtown. I totally agree, one cannot risk the safety of their children. Hopefully, as more downtown options for living become available with either new developments or redevelopments, then safer lofts, apts. etc. can be safe options.

I hear you about some of the "oldtime property owners," in the downtown area. IFTowner and I often discuss what we'd like to see leveled and redeveloped. There are some owners I simply don't understand. Hopefully, the recent post by IF Guy mentioning a downtown building be purchased by a Boise-based company, who have other developments in Idaho Falls, may be the catalyst needed to change some ideas.

Please post what you can of your thoughts and ideas. We like to discuss how and where to start to improve downtown, besides what is already being done. Besides, the eastern ID media has been known to look at this thread. You may write something that gets picked up by the local media.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 6:55 AM
Honored Member

Question What Do You Know About These Projects?

So we're finally seeing some multi-million dollar building permits for W. Sunnyside Road. Should we assume those initial ones are for Teton Toyota or other?

What is happening with Sunnyside Crossroads? I know there were additional zoning issues etc. It just seems quiet right now.

Plus, what is happening with the Zoning between N. Yellowstone, Woodruff somewhere around Lincoln Road?

IFGuy, you weren't kidding how fast things are moving at SRL. I still think Ball Ventures, right now, has the best record for having projects coming in on or ahead of time.

However, I'm glad McNeil is focused on Idaho Falls again and the Marriott, and condo tower.

Can you all imagine the extra Greenbelt, seating for the 4th Fireworks etc. due to TCOR's work this next year, plus SRL? Instead of just 100,000 people watching, that number will increase. Hopefully, some will be watching from their own Riverside homes!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:28 AM
World Traveler

Here are the new 2007 city population estimates from the US Census Bureau:
1. Boise-202,832
2. Nampa-79,249
3. Meridian-64,642
4. Pocatello-54,572
5. Idaho Falls-53,279

6. Coeur d'Alene-42,267
7. Twin Falls-41,510
8. Caldwell-39,889
9. Lewiston-31,794
10. Rexburg-27,575
11. Post Falls-25,358
12. Moscow-23,223
13. Eagle-19,254
14. Ammon-12,872
15. Kuna-12,785
16. Hayden-12,640
17. Mountain Home-12,236

Other Eastern Idaho cities:
Chubbuck-11,550
Blackfoot-10,867
Iona-1,287
Ucon-1,070

Link: http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/...2007-04-16.xls
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:38 PM

A local report said Idaho Falls is close to 57,000 and Ammon close to 14,000.

But of course, we can't really go by any of them.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 5:24 AM

mystery hotel

The Long awaited establishment only recently identified as "South Fork Inn", to my knowledge, remains unopened.. or so it seems, upon a drive-by. Hopefully they will be able to open soon and get business underway. It seems to be in a somewhat promising location.

Red Robin - is moving forward ( on paper ), at least. Shari's is well on it's way. ( licking my chops ). Hoping to see a blacktop at Iggy's in the near future. Nice happenings ahead for srl.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:09 AM

todays observations.

The Blacktop is now done at Iggys, and the landscaping is well on its way. I'd enjoy being at the grand opening celebration at SRL, but have other obligations. Many have seen that Teton Toyota is really beginning to take shape, and 2nd floor sticks are going up on Broadway at the River -
( Marriott ) Personally looking forward to the Hard Hat Steakhouse & Grill, myself. Phenomenal Burgers !

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:10 AM
Honored Member

Question The Sound of Building

We did have to wait 12-18 months for progress on some work, but it is good to finally see it progress. SRL is really moving along and now finally some activity at the Broadway Exit.

So has anyone heard if LandRover is going to put a dealership in, or will that be a decision made next year?

Many, many pages ago a visitor to this site asked about the Villages subdivision. We mentioned there is a small grouping south of town. However, in looking at something recently, I think the Villages project is the one west of the airport.

Others may know more than I.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:22 PM

Quote:
We did have to wait 12-18 months for progress on some work, but it is good to finally see it progress. SRL is really moving along and now finally some activity at the Broadway Exit.

So has anyone heard if LandRover is going to put a dealership in, or will that be a decision made next year?

Many, many pages ago a visitor to this site asked about the Villages subdivision. We mentioned there is a small grouping south of town. However, in looking at something recently, I think the Villages project is the one west of the airport.

Others may know more than I.
I would imagine that you meant "activity at the Sunnyside Exit". It is amazing to me that it has been over a year and a half since the Sunnyside project wrapped up and still the only thing going on is Teton Toyota. That is however some prime retail, mixed use property and I could only imagine that everyone involved wants to get it right. We have heard rumors of a hotel and a Land Rover dealership, and an outlet mall, but nothing yet.

I would imagine that the "economic struggles" of late have put some plans on hold or may have been scrapped all together. Even though the economy remains strong here, businesses tend to hold back expansion plans almost everywhere.

I have heard grumblings of retailers looking to the area as well as other commercial interests but I think until the situation starts looking up and we get closer to Areva commencing construction we may only see local growth from within. Then again we have seen numerous restaurants set up shop in the area over the last 6-7 months as well as other retail so I suppose it is up to the businesses to decide if our local climate is good compared to the national climate.

The biggest exception is that Linens and Things is closing, which I can understand. They entered a tought market that consisted of two WalMarts, a Target, Shopko, Kmart, Pier One, Bed Bath and Beyond, just to name a few. There is a limit to the amount of specialty shops one city can support.

The Villages subdivision is out next to the airport, next to the expanding soccer complex. Look for more growth out that way in the next few years. In fact if you took a few pictures of that area now, and came back two years later to compare, there would be a huge difference.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
Honored Member

Question The Pier at SRL Dedication

I didn't see much in local news coverage about the Pier at SRL and the entire day's activities. I wondered if anyone attended any of the events on Sat, or can tell us more about the Pier?

Or, if there was media coverage, can someone please direct me to it?

I was honestly surprised, given the nature of the Pier and how that changes activities on/by the river, I couldn't find more.

Also, does anyone know more the Discovery Center?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
Honored Member

Cool SRL Dedication

Quote:
I didn't see much in local news coverage about the Pier at SRL and the entire day's activities. I wondered if anyone attended any of the events on Sat, or can tell us more about the Pier?

Or, if there was media coverage, can someone please direct me to it?

I was honestly surprised, given the nature of the Pier and how that changes activities on/by the river, I couldn't find more.

Also, does anyone know more the Discovery Center?
This is the best coverage I've seen, yet there is suppose to be more. www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8741245

Please post anu photos or links you might have seen.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 4:06 AM
Honored Member

Cool CAES Opens This Month

Awfully quiet over here. I know people are really busy.

So INL is going to be doing a lot of work - was it $60-70 Million or something like that? But, as I understand it that will all be done on existing buildings.
No new buildings.

What is everyone hearing about Sunnyside Crossroads? It looks to me like they are still re-zoning, platting etc. I thought that was all done last year. Wonder if plans for part are changing?

CAES should open this month. We should be hearing more about this program. I'm aware of a Ph.D. student who relocated from St. Louis to Idaho Falls for his doctorate work. Will the state rise to the occasion and add on (and maybe up) to the CAES building, given the demand? I hope so!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 5:02 PM

Does anyone know a tentative opening date for Teton Toyota ? Ive seen automobile dealers like them open and remain isolated on the outskirts of towns for quite a while, although I suspect a commercial neighborhood should sprout up around them as/after they open.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:41 AM

So, I did a little digging and came up with a nugget. Albeit a small one, State Trailer Supply, which is out of SLC, will be building a store in Idaho Falls this year. It also says that two other locales are to built as well. One in Ogden and one in Poky. I believe it is more of a Cal-Ranch sort of store from what I have gathered from what they sell.

How about the progress on the Marriott? By this time next week we should be seeing the fourth floor come to life.

What do the rest of you think about the new parking lot downtown? It was the old Nicks Trading Post that was torn down and from what I have heard will be home to the new Fire/Police station when the city can get the money it needs.

I shall keep digging and hopefully I can be a contributer to this thread a bit more often.

Adios.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:16 PM
Honored Member

Question Local Idaho Falls Print Media Coveage of Business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
So, I did a little digging and came up with a nugget. Albeit a small one, State Trailer Supply, which is out of SLC, will be building a store in Idaho Falls this year. It also says that two other locales are to built as well. One in Ogden and one in Poky. I believe it is more of a Cal-Ranch sort of store from what I have gathered from what they sell.

How about the progress on the Marriott? By this time next week we should be seeing the fourth floor come to life.

What do the rest of you think about the new parking lot downtown? It was the old Nicks Trading Post that was torn down and from what I have heard will be home to the new Fire/Police station when the city can get the money it needs.

I shall keep digging and hopefully I can be a contributer to this thread a bit more often.

Adios.
Great to hear from you IFGuy,

I'd heard the same thing about the Nicks Trading Post land - at one time. The latest I'd read was the city was just going with the parking lot. Is it a recent decision to try to keep the Fire/Police Dept there? Remember how Ball Ventures offered to donate land, but the City didn't take them up on their offer? I still think a station at SRL would be a good location to reach the majority of the city from much quicker.

The State Trailer Supply can't be the company I was thinking of. I'll have to dig for the name, but the company I was thinking of was converting a store in Boise, plus had purchased an Idaho Falls business and was going to add on. No stores between South Salt Lake County and Idaho Falls. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Please post any tips, info you get. Since Paul Menser isn't writing Shoptalk anymore, and I don't seem to understand the "new direction," reporter Matt Evans is headed in the column, businesses opening aren't even announced the same as before in the Post Register. River City Weekly has stepped up their business coverage. The Post Register doesn't even post building permits on a regular basis now.

Does anyone know more about the PR and why Matt Evans is writing this column? I for one, wish Paul Menser were writing it again. He seemed to have better contacts of people who trusted him enough to tell him info.

Maybe Matt Evans can find out the answers to our recent questions and write about them in the PR. It is odd how often his columns have been so similar to the content in this thread. I guess great minds are thinking about the same topics.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:19 PM
Honored Member

Question EIRMC Expansion

I was wondering if anyone knew when EIRMC was going to break ground for their new edition? I've heard, "this fall," but nothing more specific. Does anyone know how soon?

Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 5:36 PM

So what's going on at the airport? Is it just repaving or are they extending it?

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...y-construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West