HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 4:48 PM

1.5 mil. Crazy to think. We seriously need a rethink of the settlement plan though, gotta spread some of this out to Brandon and other cities or towns like Thompson, Dauphin, Minnedosa, Carman, etc. Flin Flon is probably a lost cause these days in terms of settlement.

Brandon is well overdue for a plan to get the population to 100,000. The systems to settle people strategically do exist, we just need to use them.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 5:26 PM
What could go wrong?

I would love to see Brandon at 100k. Every time we are out there we enjoy it.

Dauphin, Minnedosa/Neepawa, Morden/Winkler and Steinbach all seem to be doing pretty well.

Getting people to settle up north seems like a pretty hard sell though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Dauphin, Minnedosa/Neepawa, Morden/Winkler and Steinbach all seem to be doing pretty well.

Getting people to settle up north seems like a pretty hard sell though.
We have the mechanisms in place but I agree, it's a tough sell. Things like geolocked work permits, loosened points requirements for long term Northern settlement and industrial investment are ways to attract immigrants. Sure, a good number will leave once the conditions expire but some of them will have put down roots and remain.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:05 AM

Why are people obsessed with forcing others to live in smaller towns? There is a trend of urbanization! Lol

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Why are people obsessed with forcing others to live in smaller towns? There is a trend of urbanization! Lol
Because Manitoba isn't the city-state of Winnipeg. We seriously need to spread out the population in this province.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:42 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Small towns are still small urban areas

I would rather see a strong small town than another huge suburb.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
As someone who grew up there, can I ask what you enjoy about it? Unless you're somebody who is coming in from a small farming community and you think shopping at Mark's or Winners is an exciting Saturday I can't possibly imagine what a tourist would actually do in Brandon.

Like unless there's an event at the Keystone centre I can't actually think of a single thing to do lol. The air museum maybe? Could kill 60 mins or so there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Well, it has been only for hockey tournaments so I don't know if that affects how I view the city.

Winnipeg is pretty isolated and it is nice to have something of some size within a couple hours drive. We enjoy the different restaurants when we are there and like the short get-away. I guess I am thinking it might get some more amenities being a hub in western Manitoba if it were say the size of Grand Forks (70-90k depending how you measure it).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Well, it has been only for hockey tournaments so I don't know if that affects how I view the city.

Winnipeg is pretty isolated and it is nice to have something of some size within a couple hours drive. We enjoy the different restaurants when we are there and like the short get-away. I guess I am thinking it might get some more amenities being a hub in western Manitoba if it were say the size of Grand Forks (70-90k depending how you measure it).
There are several museums, lots of restaurants and pubs, trails in the river valley, trails in the Brandon Hills, year-round farmers market, Brandon Wheat Kings, various festivals and exhibitions throughout the year, etc. No one is saying Brandon is a mega tourist destination, however to say there is nothing to do there is pretty naive. Perhaps people are just harder and more disparaging towards their hometowns for whatever reason.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Jul 3, 2024 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Because Manitoba isn't the city-state of Winnipeg. We seriously need to spread out the population in this province.
They have tried that in the past, with no luck. I think the last time the Government of Manitoba tried to decentralise, was in the earl 90s and it did not work. As it is, the percentage of Manitobans living in the Winnipeg CMA is nearly 63%, and increasing with each passing year.

According to Statistics Canada's population clock, Manitoba should pass the 1.5 million mark in 21 days. If metro Winnipeg does indeed account for approximately 63% of Manitoba population, it would mean Winnipeg's CMA will be over 945,000 by August.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Have you moved to rural Manitoba then?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Have you moved to rural Manitoba then?
Fully intend to. I have some land, just biding my time to be able to afford to build.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Fully intend to. I have some land, just biding my time to be able to afford to build.
Then go mate, lead by example.....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Then go mate, lead by example.....

I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from? I intend to move when I can afford it to be closer to family and to ensure the family farm operates for another generation. We need people in places other than Winnipeg for many reasons, I'm saying there's mechanisms to do it. Do you think this is some sort of slag against Winnipeg, because it isn't. I'm a pretty consistent defender of this city.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 1:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Just for fun.

Manitoba on the Population clock at 8:17 am

Manitoba 1,499,075

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 2:21 PM

I also wish Brandon could hit 100 K before I kick the bucket but there's only thing that will get people to move there: jobs.

Personally, I really like Brandon. It's just big enough to provide the main services and amenities of a big city but small enough that you don't get all the problems associated with big city life.

The question is: what does Brandon have that makes it a place that attracts business? It's a fairly important agricultural processing center, so it has that going for it but it's not unique there. On top of that, it doesn't have the tax advantages found in provinces further West. Nor does it have the climate.

Well, we can't change the weather and the taxes are hardly stifling. So, Brandon could choose an industry to specialize in and focus the money on that. What could they focus on? No idea. I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 2:32 PM

I was in Brandon this weekend and will be back again this week. Didn't really get around town, per se, as we were at the turtle crossing campground. But Brandon always hits harder than I seem to remember and we enjoy our time there.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Just for fun.

Manitoba on the Population clock at 8:17 am

Manitoba 1,499,075

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm
For Manitoba, I have been waiting for the 1.5 million mark for years.
Just as I await Winnipeg CMA @ 1 million.
I feel when the population reaches certain milestone numbers,
It becomes a bit of a bragging right & gets a little more noticable, especially for Winnipeg to hit a Million.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:41 PM

Population clock watch: Jul 17 @ 3:39 pm

Manitoba: 1,499,655

Will likely roll over to 1.5M sometime early next week.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 2:40 AM

Estimated population as of 9:39 PM:

Looks like the province will eclipse the 1.5 million mark early tomorrow morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan