HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I remember SAAN from visits to see family in Drumheller. It was the main clothing store. It was like a shittier K-mart but only selling clothes. In hindsight the store was kind of laid out like Winners is.
I hated going to SAAN when I was a kid because there was no toy department to amuse myself in while my mom looked at her boring stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does anyone remember Kresge?
I do, but only the location at Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg that lasted until the late 80s. As I vaguely recall it was just like K-Mart except smaller. In much the same way that Woolworth stores were like Woolco, but smaller.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:59 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hated going to SAAN when I was a kid because there was no toy department to amuse myself in while my mom looked at her boring stuff
Yeah at least the others had toy departments or at the very least those gumball machines which also sold sticky hands and other fun stuff.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:00 PM
Fake News

Drove past this company with an unfortunate name the other day. Apparently they are Canada's oldest bakery. The sign used to just say Bread Canada. Now it's Bimbo Canada.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9815...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah at least the others had toy departments or at the very least those gumball machines which also sold sticky hands and other fun stuff.
Ha!

My kids never set foot in stores for a good two years of the pandemic... they have grown up without the knowledge of combatting boredom while their parents poke around whatever retailer.

Quote:
Drove past this company with an unfortunate name the other day. Apparently they are Canada's oldest bakery. The sign used to just say Bread Canada. Now it's Bimbo Canada.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9815...7i16384!8i8192
They even sponsor soccer teams... how would you like to throw down a couple hundred bucks on a sweet jersey with BIMBO splashed on the front?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I do, but only the location at Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg that lasted until the late 80s. As I vaguely recall it was just like K-Mart except smaller. In much the same way that Woolworth stores were like Woolco, but smaller.
I believe that Kresge and K-Mart may have been part of the same corporate family.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:11 PM
Great White Norf

I'm liking the stories of the past couple of years of Indigenous working with provincial or Federal governments to get their own grocery stores up and running to really cater to the needs of the specific community they are in.

Employ locals in as many positions as possible and recirculate as much money back through the local community instead of funneling it back to some corporate office in say Winnipeg, Edmonton, or Toronto.

Pukatawagan residents celebrate opening of First Nation's new community-owned grocery store
'The people have waited for a very long time to have a store to call … their own,' says Chief Lorna Bighetty
Austin Grabish - CBC Manitoba News
Posted: October 02, 2022

Quote:
She said most people in Pukatawagan get their groceries shipped in on a train from The Pas — more than 200 kilometres to the south — or buy them locally from the more expensive Northern Store.

Inside that store, owned by the North West Company, a box of frozen Delissio pizza sells for $16.49, a bag of white bread is $6.59 and a large tub of Becel margarine is $14.49.

"Last week we picked up four bags of groceries [at the Northern Store] and it was a little bit over $400, " said Ralph Caribou, who is in charge of special projects in the community.

"We pick up a cart full today [at the new store] and it's just a little over $200 — huge difference, and we're still making money at these prices."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tore-1.6601153

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:13 PM
I am the law!

Reminds when my buddies and I started sponsoring a local kids league. We starting think about funny names or logos after a few pitchers of beer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Ha!

My kids never set foot in stores for a good two years of the pandemic... they have grown up without the knowledge of combatting boredom while their parents poke around whatever retailer.

They even sponsor soccer teams... how would you like to throw down a couple hundred bucks on a sweet jersey with BIMBO splashed on the front?
I would love them as a sponsor, lol.

Last edited by JHikka; Feb 9, 2023 at 7:18 PM. Reason: photo redundancy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think it's slang for "baby" in Italian. Derived from "bambino".

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:16 PM
recession proof

Used to be Canada Bread, maker of those Swiss Chalet rolls and Tim Hortons bagels, buns etc.

I remember my parents shopping at SAAN a few times in small town Ontario, but mostly Robinson's, M&S and Kmart at Conestoga Mall and the local Biway, which I always found embarrassing to be seen in.

That weird, almost migraine-inducing smell in Hart, Giant Tiger, SAAN (also Honest Ed's) etc is from the cheap polyester clothes that come wrapped in plastic combined with cheap leather boots and vinyl running shoes. I came across this scent while working for several cheap schmatte manufacturers/distributors on rue Chabanel twenty years ago. The mostly Chinese and Orthodox owners are really nasty people to work for.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does anyone remember Kresge?
Yes, we had an S S Kresge (AKA Kresge's) store downtown Timmins up until 1990. We had a K-mart as well located in the mall. ( The K comes from Kresge, and yes they were the same company) We also had two Woolco locations, one downtown and one in the mall. The first Woolco opened as Woolworth's and its named changed in the 1970s.

All of those stores had cool restaurants but the lunch counter in Kresge's looked amazing. I read that the store opened in 1937 and the lunch counter must have been from that era maybe with some updates over the years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:55 AM

BIMBO is from Mexico, you see their products and signs and buildings a lot down there.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:04 AM

We had a SAAN growing up in Valley East, ON, north of Sudbury, as well as a Stedman's V&S in the 90s/early '00s. They became a Rossy and Hart respectively.

Going to Sears or Walmart in Sudbury proper was like shopping at Holt Renfrew in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Yes, we had an S S Kresge (AKA Kresge's) store downtown Timmins up until 1990.
My mom's first job was at a Kresge's (so that's how it's spelled, huh). Not sure if it was the one in Timmins though. According to Google there was one in Rouyn-Noranda, which checks out as she went to high school there.

Last edited by quall; Feb 10, 2023 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
BIMBO is from Mexico, you see their products and signs and buildings a lot down there.
A lot almost everywhere in LatAm - they are a huge conglomerate.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:54 AM

yea, looks like they started buying up some bakery companies in Canada around 2014, they must have only recently changed the names to Bimbo here. Langley has a few bakery factory places with Bimbo signage now. I really only noticed the change in the last two years but never really paid attention till my visit to Mexico last summer when I noticed Bimbo everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quall View Post
We had a SAAN growing up in Valley East, ON, north of Sudbury, as well as a Stedman's V&S in the 90s/early '00s. They became a Rossy and Hart respectively.

Going to Sears or Walmart in Sudbury proper was like shopping at Holt Renfrew in comparison.

My mom's first job was at a Kresge's (so that's how it's spelled, huh). Not sure if it was the one in Timmins though. According to Google there was one in Rouyn-Noranda, which checks out as she went to high school there.
That's really cool. Yep at one time there were locations in Timmins, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake and Rouyn-Noranda.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:33 AM

in Ft St John we had SAAN, Kresge, fields, Co-op, Stedmans/Macleods and a Hudsons Bay, all downtown. Then around 1980 a new shopping mall opened up and the mall was anchored by Safeway and Zellers. The Bay eventually shut down. Most of the other stores closed, SAAN moved to the mall in the mid to late 80's and Fields' old store was demolished but moved to a new location.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Yes, we had an S S Kresge (AKA Kresge's) store downtown Timmins up until 1990. We had a K-mart as well located in the mall. ( The K comes from Kresge, and yes they were the same company) We also had two Woolco locations, one downtown and one in the mall. The first Woolco opened as Woolworth's and its named changed in the 1970s.

All of those stores had cool restaurants but the lunch counter in Kresge's looked amazing. I read that the store opened in 1937 and the lunch counter must have been from that era maybe with some updates over the years.
Kresge was the company's original main street department store.

With auto dependent urbanisation taking root they later launched the K-Mart brand with larger discount stores surrounded by a sea of parking, often anchored to malls.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:57 PM
Aimless Wanderer

North Bay had a Kresge's, A Woolworth's, a Simpson-Sears and an Eaton's on Main Street in the glory days of downtown shopping.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:05 PM

I've never been to North Bay so I have no frame of reference, but it looks like a pretty big city in that vintage postcard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada