HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numacs View Post
Just for the sake of reference: This development is expected to have 295 Units, and HUB Atlanta has 292 -- so it may end up close to a carbon copy.
Just eyeballing, but the academy of medicine site appears to be ~1/3 less acreage than Hub Atlanta. That along with the height transaction, I don’t expect it to be the same.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:23 PM

Here is the ground floor plans per https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/m...achtree-street

Interesting that it goes right over the Marta tracks. And while it has similar unit count to recently completed Hub, this building has 400 additional beds compared to Hub (1211 total beds), so it sounds like this building may be geared more to larger roommate oriented apartments. Good news is only 186 parking spaces, so an increase of 100 spaces compared to what was already there as surface lot.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Here is the ground floor plans per https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/m...achtree-street

Interesting that it goes right over the Marta tracks. And while it has similar unit count to recently completed Hub, this building has 400 additional beds compared to Hub (1211 total beds), so it sounds like this building may be geared more to larger roommate oriented apartments. Good news is only 186 parking spaces, so an increase of 100 spaces compared to what was already there as surface lot.
The 186 parking spaces is a real surprise. I'm also really surprised that this building is going to be jammed in so close to the Academy of Medicine and that Ga. Tech would just leave one of their prime formal event spaces with no parking at all. They must have gotten a big windfall from this deal. They certainly seem committed to going carless!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:33 PM

That's no sacrifice for Tech. They don't use that parking lot very much even for events. I've never really seen it full until construction workers started using it recently. They'll probably leave some of those spaces public, and there's plenty of other street/garage parking nearby to cover their needs.

I'm happy to see it go, and happy to see a sidewalk will finally be there--that's one of the very rare blocks in Midtown that doesn't have one.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numacs View Post
I'm also really surprised that this building is going to be jammed in so close to the Academy of Medicine...
Personally, I'm not crazy about how close the new building is to the existing one. Should have required a larger setback IMO.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:55 PM

CNN Center has been rebranded... and they really put a lot of thought into this name.

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/do...KT6LDN4PM3FI4/

Feels like it is copying the design from Politan Row inside.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
CNN Center has been rebranded... and they really put a lot of thought into this name.

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/do...KT6LDN4PM3FI4/

Feels like it is copying the design from Politan Row inside.
Should've kept the CNN logo in front. That sign was a popular photo spot.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:19 AM

With Centennial Yards ramping up, this is probably the perfect time to re-imagine "The Center". I think it would be cool if it could be redeveloped to include a movie theater unless CY already has one planned.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:21 PM

Amsterdam Walk renderings

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:47 PM

that looks fantastic. i hope that the rather vocal NIMBYs on nexdoor are a minority.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:18 PM

That's a New City sized development with one way in and out on Amsterdam. It seems like a traffic nightmare and another step towards driving up property values for that neighborhood, making it ultra exclusive instead of middle class... I'm sure there are better places for this type of development.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:27 PM

That's a New City sized development with Monroe the only way in and out. It seems like a traffic nightmare...

I think the neighborhoods bordering midtown/downtown have to draw a line somewhere, and parking decks should probably be that line.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
That's a New City sized development with one way in and out on Amsterdam. It seems like a traffic nightmare and another step towards driving up property values for that neighborhood, making it ultra exclusive instead of middle class... I'm sure there are better places for this type of development.
Aren't there two ways in/out? Amsterdam Ave and Evelyn St

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:34 PM

Preventing density does not keep home prices low.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
Aren't there two ways in/out? Amsterdam Ave and Evelyn St
Yes.

The property values argument makes no sense. Building nice things will raise property values wherever they are built—shouldn’t you want that to happen in an area that’s already unaffordable, rather than in a more affordable area?

In other words, building 900 apartments here will cause fewer flips and apartments built on the south side Beltline, and slow gentrification within actually-somewhat-middle-class neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:36 AM

I'm personally of the mind that all of the area around the park should be much higher density. Its very nice that folks have had the park as their backyard for a long time, and they will make a killing selling their property to developers, but its not very good land use to have sfh surrounding a major city asset like this. I'm not advocating for seizing their land as I'm sure some people claim, but a lot of neighborhoods in the city should just be rezoned right now and let market forces do what it will do.

P.S. I once came across two great photos of nyc that illustrated this point. One was either very late 1800s or very early 1900s a street in brooklyn lined with very nice SFH and on the street corner a brand new subway entrance. The second photo was of the street today and its fully developed with 4-6 story dense development thats so common over brooklyn. I doubt those homeowners were kicked out, rather the land was redeveloped to fit the needs of more people.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:58 PM

First phase of Civic Center redevelopment to break ground soon

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/c...ng-ground-soon

Quote:
According to Central Atlanta Progress’ investment tracker, the initial $40-million phase is scheduled to break ground later this month and deliver sometime in 2026. Atlanta Housing officials said in February, however, phase-one excavation work is more likely to begin this summer, with construction to follow later this year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:41 AM

Amsterdam Walk rendering looks amazing. We need this level of density all around the Beltline. Atlanta is still one of the least dense big cities in the US. The Beltline (and also near MARTA stations) is the perfect place for more residents.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:19 PM

Is this a sign that Portman is accepting the reality of Beltline rail? in the 1st picture there is a clear rail line passing in front of the property.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Is this a sign that Portman is accepting the reality of Beltline rail? in the 1st picture there is a clear rail line passing in front of the property.
Allegedly there's a difference in philosophies between Portman Holdings and Portman Architects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta