HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:47 PM

That’s actually admittedly pretty fucking cool.

I can see it from my house and it gives off a fun Cyberpunk vibe.

When I went to Toronto in December I saw that many buildings are adding this type of night time detail, and it was beyond impressive to see on that scale.

Hey, how do you make the image from IMGBB appear in the actual post instead of just being a link? Plz halp.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 4:32 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I just got home and I was driving on Fermor coming from the Perimeter, and the view of 300 Main being lit up like a vertical white rectangle is pretty cool.

Are those LEDs only solid white or are they RGB capable? If they are similar to what the Esplanade Riel has, then it would be easily the coolest building in the city, and will absolutely definitely give off a Cyberpunk vibe, more so than it already does!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Hey, how do you make the image from IMGBB appear in the actual post instead of just being a link? Plz halp.
Once you upload an image to IMGBB, there will be a dropdown near the link to the image, select "BB Code Full Linked" and then copy the BB Code and paste it directly into the SSP message writer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Once you upload an image to IMGBB, there will be a dropdown near the link to the image, select "BB Code Full Linked" and then copy the BB Code and paste it directly into the SSP message writer.
Thanks!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I just got home and I was driving on Fermor coming from the Perimeter, and the view of 300 Main being lit up like a vertical white rectangle is pretty cool.
We noticed it driving on on #1 on Friday morning. Visible from PR206 and likely from PTH12. Rather cool. Would be something if more of our skyscrapers were lit up like that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 5:38 PM

Would love to see the electric railway chambers building re-lit with bulbs. That would be so cool.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Would love to see the electric railway chambers building re-lit with bulbs. That would be so cool.
Definitely. It would be awesome! Apparently keeping ye olde incandescent bulbs burning was pretty expensive for the owners. Getting some lookalike LED filament lamps in there would be much cheaper to operate.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:50 PM
What could go wrong?

From a WFP article today
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...own-looking-up

“One of the most exciting aspects of this development is the prospect of building up the success and the popularity of Winnipeg’s downtown area,” said Jeff Lurkin, director of marketing for the Winnipeg-based developer, Artis Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT), in an email statement.

While Lurkin assured the interest in the new apartment suites has been “overwhelming” during the building’s pre-leasing process, he would not disclose how many units will be filled when tenants begin moving in. He did, however, share that the demand for its modest apartment layouts has been remarkable, with 95 per cent of them already reserved.

The latest price points detail a one-bedroom, 720-square-foot unit starting at $1,765 per month. The current 1,041-square-foot, two-bedroom unit on the 10th floor will go for $2,244 a month."
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:52 PM

Actual human habitation to begin on July 1, 2023.

Random observation, July 1 in Quebec is known as Moving Day as all fixed term leases expire then, so I guess Canada Day is a good day for residents to move into this building.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:56 PM

The bedrooms are extremely small and the bulkheads make them feel really cramped, this is a problem across all 11 layouts. The “modest” apartments are…really modest. I would say that if I were to guess which ones were modest, it would be the two on the north side with no balconies, and the two on the east side with balconies. So 4/11 would be the truly modest-est. The best layouts and views would be the southeast corner suite, the southwest corner suite, the northeast corner suite, and the centre-south suite. The rest all have issues with cramped corners, poor layouts, and suboptimal views compared to the others for what you’re paying.

Also due to an engineering fail, the baseboard heaters which were originally supposed to be positioned in front of the windows all got re-engineered to be beside the windows instead, so drafts and frost are definitely gonna be an issue in the coldest months.

I am really interested to read the reviews after the first year.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
From a WFP article today

The current 1,041-square-foot, two-bedroom unit on the 10th floor will go for $2,244 a month."
Oof. $2,244 is just below the mortgage payment on a $500k, 2000sqft, 4 bedroom detached house in this City assuming you can find a 20% down payment. Of course that doesn't include property taxes and utilities, which are likely included in the rent, but still, goes to show how in the current state of things, the luxury rental market is going to be a hard sell unless you can build up and attract the demographic that is specifically looking to pay a premium to be the downtown area.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
The bedrooms are extremely small and the bulkheads make them feel really cramped, this is a problem across all 11 layouts. The “modest” apartments are…really modest. I would say that if I were to guess which ones were modest, it would be the two on the north side with no balconies, and the two on the east side with balconies. So 4/11 would be the truly modest-est. The best layouts and views would be the southeast corner suite, the southwest corner suite, the northeast corner suite, and the centre-south suite. The rest all have issues with cramped corners, poor layouts, and suboptimal views compared to the others for what you’re paying.

Also due to an engineering fail, the baseboard heaters which were originally supposed to be positioned in front of the windows all got re-engineered to be beside the windows instead, so drafts and frost are definitely gonna be an issue in the coldest months.

I am really interested to read the reviews after the first year.
Based on what we've seen and heard about the layouts, it sounds like they tried cramming apartments into a hotel footprint. Narrow spaces are fine for a 200 sf hotel room with no separate rooms, but it sounds awkward as hell for an apartment that people are supposed to live in for a premium price.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:51 PM

What a stinker of a building. Hope it becomes an albatross around the neck of some asset manager.
I sure hope CentrePlan 2050 doesn't involve counting on REITs to provide sustainable housing...

Last edited by building_lover; May 15, 2023 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by building_lover View Post
What a stinker of a building. Hope it becomes an albatross around the neck of some asset manager.
I sure hope CentrePlan 2050 doesn't involve counting on REITs to provide sustainable housing...
I have the opposite hope. That it becomes a complete success and spurs more downtown residential development.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I have the opposite hope. That it becomes a complete success and spurs more downtown residential development.
Same but I think they will eventually need to adjust down prices to meet occupancy targets

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
It might spur more speculation, but turning housing into a speculative investment vehicle is driving up prices up for everyone across the board. If this is what we can expect for downtown, that's a grim sign considering wages in Manitoba.

Last edited by building_lover; May 15, 2023 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. What demented tool wants to see downtown or other large scale development fail becoming a stain on the city's success?
Not every residential tower has perfect plans.
I agree costs are expensive but that is what one gets with new construction. Even nothing special blocks from the 50's - 70's are mostly renovating & charging lots.I am not sure how everyone affords what is on the market, new builds or remodelled.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:32 PM

Hoping for this to fail is counterproductive. If they made mistakes hopefully they can work through them. Any failure will just hurt downtown and future development.
I hope they figure things out and fill up the building.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 6:30 PM
What could go wrong?

There are some other projects that are cautiously waiting to see how 300 Main fills up. I have been told if it leases quickly that others will likely proceed.

Hoping it fails will be a negative for downtown residential. I don't believe that is something almost everyone (except a few obviously) really wants.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:01 PM

Echoing the last half-dozen posters. Seeing this building fill up will be nothing but positive for the downtown. Hoping it fails seems to be a pretty selfish and incredibly short-sighted way of working out one's personal grievances, whatever they may be.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan