HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:02 PM

GA Tech $74.5 million dorm renovation and beginning of pedestrian bridge

The Georgia Board of Regents on Tuesday approved the residence hall upgrades and also authorized the first phase of a potential pedestrian bridge project that would stretch from the John Lewis Student Center to Science Square.

The 295-bed Smith Hall, built in 1947, and the 123-bed Howell Hall, built eight years prior, will be joined through a new connecting structure that will create a central entry point. It also will provide more study spaces and gathering areas for students.

The board also authorized up to $1 million for design work related to a proposed Westside Community Connector Bridge project. The vote is only an initial step in the proposed construction of a $46 million bridge that would enable pedestrians and cyclists to cross over the CSX and Norfolk Southern freight rail corridor on the western edge of the campus. The rail companies would need to sign off for the construction to proceed.

The bridge would have access points at the North Avenue Research Area and at or near the corner of North Avenue and State Street, according to board documents.
Georgia Tech applied for a $23 million federal grant that, if awarded, would cover half the project’s $46 million cost. The other half would be paid for by donor funds, and the board would need to vote again to give final authorization.

The bridge concept fits into Georgia Tech’s future plans. Late last year, Georgia Tech unveiled a 10-year campus plan to respond to enrollment gains, which are expected to continue. That plan calls for new student amenities, more recreation areas and enhanced walkability.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:18 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
GA Tech $74.5 million dorm renovation and beginning of pedestrian bridge

The Georgia Board of Regents on Tuesday approved the residence hall upgrades and also authorized the first phase of a potential pedestrian bridge project that would stretch from the John Lewis Student Center to Science Square.

The 295-bed Smith Hall, built in 1947, and the 123-bed Howell Hall, built eight years prior, will be joined through a new connecting structure that will create a central entry point. It also will provide more study spaces and gathering areas for students.

The board also authorized up to $1 million for design work related to a proposed Westside Community Connector Bridge project. The vote is only an initial step in the proposed construction of a $46 million bridge that would enable pedestrians and cyclists to cross over the CSX and Norfolk Southern freight rail corridor on the western edge of the campus. The rail companies would need to sign off for the construction to proceed.

The bridge would have access points at the North Avenue Research Area and at or near the corner of North Avenue and State Street, according to board documents.
Georgia Tech applied for a $23 million federal grant that, if awarded, would cover half the project’s $46 million cost. The other half would be paid for by donor funds, and the board would need to vote again to give final authorization.

The bridge concept fits into Georgia Tech’s future plans. Late last year, Georgia Tech unveiled a 10-year campus plan to respond to enrollment gains, which are expected to continue. That plan calls for new student amenities, more recreation areas and enhanced walkability.
Egads...Smith Hall. I was there my Freshman year in 1980. I was required to live on campus because I was considered an out-of-state student. At the time, it was the last residence on campus that did not have air conditioning. I watched the Southern Bell tower get built across the downtown connector the year I was there. After my Freshman year I spent the rest of my time at Tech living off-campus. I had a corner dorm room which was comprised of two adjoining dorm rooms in a dogleg plan configuration. Three roommates instead of the usual one. I remember one of them was Bob Horner which was notable because that was the same name as a prominent Atlanta Braves player at the same time. He was from Boston and had that oh so recognizable Boston accent.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Egads...Smith Hall. I was there my Freshman year in 1980. I was required to live on campus because I was considered an out-of-state student. At the time, it was the last residence on campus that did not have air conditioning. I watched the Southern Bell tower get built across the downtown connector the year I was there. After my Freshman year I spent the rest of my time at Tech living off-campus. I had a corner dorm room which was comprised of two adjoining dorm rooms in a dogleg plan configuration. Three roommates instead of the usual one. I remember one of them was Bob Horner which was notable because that was the same name as a prominent Atlanta Braves player at the same time. He was from Boston and had that oh so recognizable Boston accent.
Yep. Smith Hall 1998 corner dorm room too. We did have AC by then though I also had a suspiciously bullet-sized hole in my window

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 9:52 PM

Developers aim to lure Grammy museum to Civic Center project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...velopment.html

Quote:
The team behind the Atlanta Civic Center redevelopment says it is courting a Grammy museum to join the project.

Sophy Capital, Republic Properties and the Michaels Organization are working with Atlanta Housing to inject life into the Civic Center, a languishing 15-acre property in Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward. The partnership plans to fill the site with affordable housing, offices, retail and educational facilities.

Micheal Green, managing partner at Sophy Capital, said the redevelopment team is in discussions with Universal Music Group and Grammy Museum Foundation about potentially operating out of the performing arts center. At the corner of Piedmont Avenue and Ralph McGill Boulevard, the performing arts center is undergoing extensive renovations through summer 2026. The venue would have a flexible seating arrangement to accommodate a mix of users, Green said.

Ballet and opera are additional uses considered for the space, Green said during a February community meeting about the Civic Center project.

Green said the redevelopment team intends to make the performing arts center into a modern multi-use theater that "provides use for the community – but also for live performances – and really becomes a new destination for arts and culture in the city of Atlanta."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:01 PM

Cousins pays $4M to acquire final property for 887 West Peachtree project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...peachtree.html

Quote:
Cousins Properties Inc. has purchased the final piece of land for a future high-rise development in Midtown. Here is a rendering of the proposed project from December 2021.

In December 2021, company representatives presented plans to the Midtown Development Review Committee for a tower with 408,000 square feet of office and 14,000 square feet of retail. In early 2022, Cousins said it was looking to expand the project with another phase that would add apartments.

No additional plans for the site have been filed with the City of Atlanta since December 2021, when the office tower was pitched. The Midtown Alliance said Friday it has not received any updated plans either.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 2, 2024 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:48 PM

The Cousins project is one I've been anticipating. Hopefully it starts this year.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 6:02 PM

Far more likely they're consolidating the block to sell IMO. No one with sense is building spec office in this market. I guessed that project was DOA a few years ago and still feel the same.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Far more likely they're consolidating the block to sell IMO. No one with sense is building spec office in this market. I guessed that project was DOA a few years ago and still feel the same.
Agreed. Unless they are working with a corporate relocation on the hush-hush, there's no way they're building a spec office tower for at least the next 1-2 years.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:25 PM

Portman is building spec at Spring Quarter though

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:48 PM
Ahhh... Kelly Clarkson!

Ugh... Was so looking forward to this.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:50 PM

The problem isn't so much about office vacancy per se; it is about older office buildings not equipped well for modern electronics and office style.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:31 PM

The article in the Business Chronicle mentioned that they (Cousins) are seeing renewed interest in office space in Midtown. I don't think they are looking to building spec but to lure a large enough tenant to move forward with the project.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:13 PM

Woodruff Arts Center is planning a $67 million renovation per AJC: https://www.ajc.com/news/woodruff-ar...LBG4Y32NZ7LRA/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 9:20 PM

Georgia Lawmakers Approve $392M For New Office Building, New Gold For Capitol Dome

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...inishes-123098
Quote:
The Georgia General Assembly has approved $392M in spending to refurbish the golden dome of the state Capitol and build a 260K SF legislative office building, along with a 500-car parking deck.

The state will develop an eight-story office building on the north side of the gold dome on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive that will also include a skybridge to the Capitol. If signed into law, construction would start in October and wrap up by the end of 2026.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:54 AM

Wow, let's go. Stitch receives 157 million.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ci...or/ar-BB1jMn1w

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 9:28 PM

Apartment towers under construction on 10th street and Juniper, from Piedmont Park

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:18 PM

Multifamily residential building permit filed for a 3 story, 12 unit building on the westside at 646 Echo street near the beltline connector.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:21 PM

Building permit filed for another 8 unit condo building at Stein Steel along the Beltline on Kirkwood Ave.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:26 PM

Land development permit filed for "59 attached single family homes" (I guess they mean townhomes?) at 1540 Northwest drive NW, just OTP on the northwest side of Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 1:18 AM

Ashley at Scholar's Landing Phase II (Atlanta University Center):

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta