HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

The last occupied level (other than maintenance workers) is 154.

Hey Fury - Do we have any confirmation that the 3rd wing of tier 24 is in place?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 11:25 PM
Proudly Canadian

Hi sw.

No - there has been no shots showing the third wing of tier 24 yet. There wasn't an update from the guys in Dubai today though.

Given the speed they put up the previous wings onto the pinnacle pipe I would have thought the third wing would have been done and the next stage of jacking done 2 days ago.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Hi sw.

No - there has been no shots showing the third wing of tier 24 yet. There wasn't an update from the guys in Dubai today though.

Given the speed they put up the previous wings onto the pinnacle pipe I would have thought the third wing would have been done and the next stage of jacking done 2 days ago.

I was wondering how the crane can place that wing on the other side of tier 24. It must be nearly touching the spire above to do that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 3:33 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

sw. I was wondering the same thing. It would be interesting to see some shots of them placing it.

Here is the newest schedule I have - I think less than a year old. The one that I had been using was from 07 02 26. This new one doesn't show the date of the schedule at the top.

plan_schedule_2008.jpg (2.0 MB)

They are at least a month behind this schedule in regards to top out. Also this schedule shows a completion date of 09 10 31 - the latest word I've heard is the completion date is 09 12 20 and some say even that is unrealistic.

Happy holidays all.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 6:34 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Man, I can't wait to see the opening ceremony for this bad boy.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Hi all.

sw. I was wondering the same thing. It would be interesting to see some shots of them placing it.

Here is the newest schedule I have - I think less than a year old. The one that I had been using was from 07 02 26. This new one doesn't show the date of the schedule at the top.

plan_schedule_2008.jpg (2.0 MB)

They are at least a month behind this schedule in regards to top out. Also this schedule shows a completion date of 09 10 31 - the latest word I've heard is the completion date is 09 12 20 and some say even that is unrealistic.

Happy holidays all.

The spire has now been jumped up to 800m. The 3rd wing on tier 24 is in view.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:01 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

You beat me to it sw - good job.

We are at 800.0 meters !!!!!

Here is my reasoning using a labelled shot from OTR.

All 3 wings of tier 24 are up as they had to be before this stage of jacking. I would have liked to have seen a shot of them placing the wing on the other side of the pinnacle pipe from the crane.

Tier 23 has the one larger wing that has been up for some time now. The one small wing is on the opposite side of the pinnacle pipe from it. It will be continuous with the wing of tiers 24 and 25 that face the same direction. There is one side (or one half) of 2 small wings that go between the larger and the small wing that I would think would be added after top out but we shall see.

So attach the top ~10m. of the one small wing, jack ~10m., attach the bottom ~10m. of the small wing, and jack to top out.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Hi all.

You beat me to it sw - good job.

We are at 800.0 meters !!!!!

Here is my reasoning using a labelled shot from OTR.

All 3 wings of tier 24 are up as they had to be before this stage of jacking. I would have liked to have seen a shot of them placing the wing on the other side of the pinnacle pipe from the crane.

Tier 23 has the one larger wing that has been up for some time now. The one small wing is on the opposite side of the pinnacle pipe from it. It will be continuous with the wing of tiers 24 and 25 that face the same direction. There is one side (or one half) of 2 small wings that go between the larger and the small wing that I would think would be added after top out but we shall see.

So attach the top ~10m. of the one small wing, jack ~10m., attach the bottom ~10m. of the small wing, and jack to top out.

Fury- Are they putting the tiers up at night? or day?: or both? And how heavy is a section?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:46 PM

^ god dang it why do you guys always quote pictures, it always confuses me that its a new picture but its really a copy of another photo.

In relation to Burj Dubai. Is it topped out yet?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 6:21 PM

No, it isn't! But only about 19 meters still missing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:03 PM

Wow... A half mile. -Simply amazing.

Also amazing ( ) is the fact that the Burj Dubai website isn't updated more frequently. They still list a 'current height' of 688 meters as of 01/09/08. One would think they'd be prompt (excited?) about announcing new height achievements.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:29 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Huu... good question. I just wanna see floorplans of those condo's.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 1:23 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:26 AM

It's just engineering. No architecture whatsoever.

Are there any architects here?

This building serves no purpose for mankind.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 4:11 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The Empire State Building served no purpose when it was built either but it's now an architectural masterpiece. And this is also a masterpiece, it is the first skyscraper to surpass the 2000' level and it challenges the human brain to make bigger, better things.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
The Empire State Building served no purpose when it was built either but it's now an architectural masterpiece. And this is also a masterpiece, it is the first skyscraper to surpass the 2000' level and it challenges the human brain to make bigger, better things.
bigger and better things with no purpose?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:16 PM
Information Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardroark View Post

Are there any architects here?

It can be a symbol of Hope during this economic crisis.
Other than that it serves no purpose, it's just a very impressive building.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardroark View Post

Both these comments are manifestly untrue.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:57 PM
Dubai

Happy New Year!

my last update in 2008

31/December/2008

Burj Dubai

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 11:10 AM

Dubai, UAE; December 30, 2008: Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building developed by Emaar Properties, set several global milestones in high-rise construction in 2008, an epoch-making year for the tower. On course to open in 2009, Burj Dubai has reached a record 780 metres (2,559 ft) height, and has over 160 storeys, the most number of floors in any building.

In 2008, Burj Dubai achieved the distinction of being the world's tallest structure surpassing the KVLY-TV mast (628.8 metres; 2,063 ft) in North Dakota, USA. The tower is already taller than Taipei 101 in Taiwan, which at 508 metres (1,667 ft) has held the tallest-building-in-the-world title since it opened in 2004. Burj Dubai also surpassed the 31-year-old record of CN Tower, which at 553.33 metres (1,815.5 ft) has been the world’s tallest free-standing structure on land since 1976.

Mr Ahmad Al Matrooshi, Managing Director – UAE, Emaar Properties, said: "This has been a landmark year for Burj Dubai, as it consolidated its global leading position in the construction of high-rises. Every aspect of Burj Dubai, now, is a world-first, and highlights the new aspects of construction technology employed for the tower."

A mixed-use tower, Burj Dubai will have residences and commercial spaces apart from The Armani Hotel Dubai, and Armani Residences, luxury hospitality ventures by Emaar in association with haute couture major Giorgio Armani S.p.A. Burj Dubai will also have recreational facilities and entertainment venues including four luxurious pools and a cigar club, a library, exclusive residents’ lounge, serviced residences, 15,000 sq ft of fitness facilities and a public observatory on level 124.

When completed next year, Burj Dubai will meet all four criteria listed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), which classifies the world’s tallest structures. CTBUH measures the height of buildings to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, the top of the roof and the tip of the spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.

Designed by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), Burj Dubai is constructed by high-rise experts South Korea’s Samsung Corporation. Turner Construction International is the project and construction manager.

Currently, some 8,500 professionals and skilled workers are employed on-site at Burj Dubai. Cladding work is nearing completion and work on interiors, spire and other support systems is progressing.

Mr Matrooshi added: "Burj Dubai also positioned Dubai in the global spotlight, and several plans are currently underway to mark the opening of the tower in 2009. This includes our exclusive publishing contract with Kraken Opus, a leading publisher, to create the Burj Dubai Opus, a definitive account charting the creation of the iconic tower."

The Burj Dubai Opus will showcase the various facets of developing Burj Dubai, featuring exclusive content and never-before-seen photography. The flagship book will be housed within Burj Dubai for public display following the opening of the tower in 2009.

Burj Dubai anchors Emaar’s flagship mega-project, the AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai. Described as the new heart of the city, Downtown Burj Dubai is a mixed-use neighbourhood with premium hotels, exclusive business facilities, modern residences, shopping malls and leisure facilities

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive