HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
What's nice is from the project summary it looks like it won't be a strictly student housing development per se....but there are a lot of studios...W6 II?
W6 doesn't really have that many studios. Each floor averages probably 2 studios, 3 1 bedroom, 3 2 bedroom, & 2 3 bedroom. Its pretty diverse range of floor plans.

Unfortunately I moved out of W6 because they started focusing on "student" marketing. I was by far the youngest on my floor at 22 when I moved in, oldest when I moved out at 24.

The problem is young professionals have a tough time living with students (from experience) because while students can party Monday-Sunday, young professionals can generally enjoy themselves Friday-Sunday. That makes a huge problem for places that let in students. Also, probably the main reason Hanover is 21+ & no co-signers.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:48 PM

That's because W6 was envisioned originally as condos geared towards professionals and empty nesters but was finished as market rate apartments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
W6 doesn't really have that many studios. Each floor averages probably 2 studios, 3 1 bedroom, 3 2 bedroom, & 2 3 bedroom. Its pretty diverse range of floor plans.

Unfortunately I moved out of W6 because they started focusing on "student" marketing. I was by far the youngest on my floor at 22 when I moved in, oldest when I moved out at 24.

The problem is young professionals have a tough time living with students (from experience) because while students can party Monday-Sunday, young professionals can generally enjoy themselves Friday-Sunday. That makes a huge problem for places that let in students. Also, probably the main reason Hanover is 21+ & no co-signers.
I'm surprised they don't have the students live in one building and the young professionals in the other. I guess that may be hard to do. But that seems like a no brainer. My complex is half students half professionals. I've been lucky but all it takes is one bad apple and your sleep cycle gets jacked.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:21 PM

Looks like 2100 Rio has a tenancy deal that will fill out the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...0-jobs-to.html

Pay wall though

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:16 PM

Can you post the story here?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 PM

Another 3,200 jobs could be coming to Tempe at a new development being built at the Loop 202 and 101 freeways.

Freedom Financial Network — a Silicon Valley based online financial services and debt consolidation firm — has inked a 300,000-square-foot lease at Rio2100.

That is a 52-acre development being built by The Boyer Co.

FFN already has approximately 1,600 workers in the region and wants to double that number at the new campus.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:06 PM

Aura Watermark (NWC or Rural and the lake) got entitlements approved by City Council last week for phases "1a" and "1b," which includes an 8-story parking garage with 25,000 ft. of ground floor commercial, a 224' office building with above-ground parking podium and additional 18,000 ft of ground floor commercial, and an 85' apartment building with 360 units, 91 du/ac.

In the lead up to the City Council hearings, developer talked a big game about beginning work immediately.

Quote:
oth projects go before the Tempe City Council for a first hearing March 23 and anticipate final approval on April 20. Building permits will be filed immediately after and should take approximately 30 days to be approved, according to Fenix Project Manager Mike Loretz.

As creator of the overall site, Fenix will develop the infrastructure, according to Trinsic’s Managing Director for Arizona Todd Gosselink. After that’s in place, Trinsic will commence construction of Aura Watermark.
http://azbex.com/aura-watermark-aims...t-const-start/

Quote:
Both projects are scheduled for an initial vote by the Tempe City Council on March 23, followed by a second vote on April 20. Fenix Development Project Manager Mike Loretz said in a telephone interview he hopes for and anticipates a unanimous vote of approval. If council approves the plan, building permits will be filed April 21 and should be issued approximately 30 days later. Construction on Fenix’s component, known as Phase 1A, will commence as soon as possible thereafter.
http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of...-construction/

I'm sure every developer wants to move quickly, but these quotes do seem to be promising more than usual, so hopefully this one does start soon. It would be nice to have some variety in heights and uses on the north side of the lake.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:49 PM

Tempe streetcar construction starts soon

Well that escalated quickly! Constructions starts in June.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...oon/100695810/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Well that escalated quickly! Constructions starts in June.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...oon/100695810/
I wonder if the possibility of losing federal money pushed the timeframe up on this a little?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I wonder if the possibility of losing federal money pushed the timeframe up on this a little?
I wouldn't think so federal funds for these types of projects were probably appropriated a year or more ago, any changes to federal funding will effect projects coming up in the next 12+ months not stuff underway now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The site for the Skyline Tower is now fenced. I thought this hasn't even passed City Council yet? Pulling the cart before the horse?
Okland Construction put their signage up last week, I think this one might be a go.

For reference:

http://www.orionprop.com/topfive/gol...ower-near-asu/

The architect, SCB, does great work (they renovated Manzanita).

http://www.scb.com

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:27 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I wouldn't think so federal funds for these types of projects were probably appropriated a year or more ago, any changes to federal funding will effect projects coming up in the next 12+ months not stuff underway now.
The White House's proposed budget would eliminate federal money for any transit project without a complete funding agreement already in place. That includes both the Tempe Streetcar and the South Central light rail extension. Of course, the White House proposal may not be the final budget, and both Tempe and Phoenix seem to be proceeding under the assumption / hope that it won't be.

Scroll about halfway down after following the link to see the complete list of threatened projects:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-transit-hard/

Last edited by exit2lef; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:06 AM

Armstrong and Ross-Blakley renovations

Quote:
Armstrong Hall and Ross-Blakley Hall renovations provide a new home for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on Arizona State University’s Tempe campus. Armstrong Hall and Ross-Blakley Hall previously housed the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law.

The project advances two Tempe campus master plan goals. This project furthers CLAS’s goal to attain national standing by providing the college with a consolidated home that enhances its instructional and research effectiveness. The project also repurposes existing academic space to enable the success of CLAS students and employees.

Armstrong Hall upgrades include a central location for CLAS student success, advising, instruction and collaboration. Improvements to the building’s Great Hall creates opportunities for its use as either a large classroom or to host lectures and special events.

Ross-Blakley Hall offers the CLAS English Department classrooms, writing centers and humanities research.

Infrastructure upgrades create more energy-efficient mechanical systems and address operational and code-compliance issues.

Renovations extend to campus hardscape and landscape in the immediate area of the buildings.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:09 PM

Watermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Aura Watermark (NWC or Rural and the lake) got entitlements approved by City Council last week for phases "1a" and "1b," which includes an 8-story parking garage with 25,000 ft. of ground floor commercial, a 224' office building with above-ground parking podium and additional 18,000 ft of ground floor commercial, and an 85' apartment building with 360 units, 91 du/ac.

In the lead up to the City Council hearings, developer talked a big game about beginning work immediately.

http://azbex.com/aura-watermark-aims...t-const-start/

http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of...-construction/

I'm sure every developer wants to move quickly, but these quotes do seem to be promising more than usual, so hopefully this one does start soon. It would be nice to have some variety in heights and uses on the north side of the lake.
Looks like they knocked it down 54' feet from 278' t0 224'

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
Looks like they knocked it down 54' feet from 278' t0 224'
Yeah, not ideal, but still better than another 4-5 story apartment building.

Looks like another lot set to bite the dust (hopefully) along Apache:

Interested to see this one. It's the first smaller project I can think of (in number of units) along Apache since maybe Gracie's Village--which I think is one of the better buildings along Apache. And this would be twice as dense as Gracie's.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 4:52 PM

Tempe Seeks Buried Lines for Trolley Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Agreed. It seems most people on the thread are not big fans anymore. The fact that they may destroy Mill for 2 years really frustates me. Especially the fact that they would get rid of those trees. I think at this point, possibly the most efficient route would be Mill/3rd to Cubs Stadium / Riverview. Or backside Ash with a slot to Mill 5th. Regardless, it's been moving slow. It's frustrating that government works so slow. Also, at $50 million a mile, maybe they should consider expanding / adding more trolleys to the lunch time trolley service.
According to this article, the power lines along Mill Ave will be buried (I'm assuming the trees stay?). Also, the curved portion along Gammage will also have the lines buried and run on batteries.

http://azbex.com/tempe-seeks-buried-...trolley-route/

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:23 PM

carvana Tower/vending machine is approved. I think this will look cool from the 202

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-vending.html

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
carvana Tower/vending machine is approved. I think this will look cool from the 202

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-vending.html
Yes, this would be cool. It's very progressive from a technology standpoint. And I'm positive Tempe will make sure it is visually appealing. Plus, it's an awesome way to highlight a local company. Hopefully this will be their showcase store/vending machine.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:11 PM

Low-res rendering for **Apache + Oak the 50 unit building planned along light rail.

Last edited by muertecaza; May 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:16 PM

It looks brilliant for Apache!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest