HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
For the Winnipeggers. Couple questions on Canada life centre. I'm trying to invision the exchange restaurant. Is it Underneath the stands of the lower bowl? I cant make sense of where it would be? I also don't remember seeing it when i was there. help me out on this.

Also just out of curiosity i remember seeing on a video once the event level parking was extremely small in comparison to other arenas. Is their room for jets players to park down there or do they walk to the arena from a parking spot like the rest of us simpletons?
The Exchange Restaurant is at ice level at the north end of the arena. Entrance is off the main lobby at Portage and Donald. It's going to be gutted and renovated soon, which makes sense... ever since the building opened in 2004 that space has been fairly underutilized, and it's one of the few public spaces that hasn't been redone since the NHL returned... it still has the Y2K beige and brown everywhere. It's pretty tired.

Interestingly, unlike the old Winnipeg Arena where the public could go around the entire rink at ice level, the Exchange Restaurant and the tiny bit of concourse near it is the only publicly accessible part of ice level at Canada Life Centre.

And as for player parking, I don't know for certain but I was under the impression that players parked in the secure part of the old Eaton's parkade on the other side of Hargrave. Or do they drive directly into the arena? I can't imagine there is space for 25+ cars down there, plus team buses and whatever else?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 3:16 AM
ハルウララ

B.C. Lions in Langford? Annual CFL game eyed for Starlight Stadium

Games that count in regular-season standings could be played at Starlight Stadium in Langford beginning in 2025.

Langford approved an $8.5-million project last year to add a permanent 4,000-to-5,000 seat grandstand opposite the current main grandstand to increase capacity to at least 10,000. Of that total, $4.5 million was allotted for the new grandstand and $4 million to move the infamous utility pole that has frustrated past attempts to add a grandstand to that section of the stadium. The work to remove the utility pole has begun with completion expected in spring.

Vienneau said the B.C. Lions would need a minimum 10,000 seats at Starlight to make an Island game ­viable.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports...tadium-6336066

Emphasis added mine, noting that Starlight Stadium is in the process of removing its hydro pole with a new 4-5K stand to replace it, bringing it to over 10K capacity.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:50 PM

It is amazing how intractable this utility pole issue has been up to this point. It's a lovely venue in a nice setting, but it could be so much better if the field was surrounded by seating. That said, that spot was a weird place to cram a stadium into considering the limitations of the site.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Exchange Restaurant is at ice level at the north end of the arena. Entrance is off the main lobby at Portage and Donald. It's going to be gutted and renovated soon, which makes sense... ever since the building opened in 2004 that space has been fairly underutilized, and it's one of the few public spaces that hasn't been redone since the NHL returned... it still has the Y2K beige and brown everywhere. It's pretty tired.

Interestingly, unlike the old Winnipeg Arena where the public could go around the entire rink at ice level, the Exchange Restaurant and the tiny bit of concourse near it is the only publicly accessible part of ice level at Canada Life Centre.

And as for player parking, I don't know for certain but I was under the impression that players parked in the secure part of the old Eaton's parkade on the other side of Hargrave. Or do they drive directly into the arena? I can't imagine there is space for 25+ cars down there, plus team buses and whatever else?
Okay so hear me out. Canada Life was built with some size restraints but one thing thats always puzzled me is why the visiting coaches have to enter from the other side of the rink. Its such an odd set up. Why not instead of refreshing the restraunt that probably doesn't serve many patrons to begin with, turn that into the jets locker room/lounge/Training/medical area that tunnels to the current jets entrance and turn the Jets current space into the visiting space and cut out an entrance to the visiting teams bench.

You'll lose a seat or 6 but man that would put the jets on par with modern NHL arenas which is great for player retention and attraction. You could really do something fancy like rogers place in Edmonton instead of a big steel door with a jets sticker on it. A nice long walk to the ice with awesome LED strip lights and glass on each side to get the crowd pumped for the walk out, Top of the Line lounge, Training area, cold plunge saunas, Locker room which currently is by far not the worst in the league but unbelievably bland . I also realize they have all this stuff at the iceplex but I mean is the exchange that busy? Clearly true North is committed to that building for at least the next 20 years why not spend the same money on the event level as they did the rest of the building

Skip to 5:05 and you'll see what im talking about imagine this game 7 in winnipeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbR9X4aVy0

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jan 8, 2023 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:23 PM

^ I take your point but I have a feeling that The Exchange space might actually realize its potential now that it will be the only significant restaurant space left in the building with the old Moxies leaving and being turned into concourse space. TNSE may need it more than ever as a bar and restaurant.

I could have sworn TNSE put out renderings of what The Exchange was going to look like post-renovations (I assume those are happening after this season?) along with all the other arena renovation renderings, but I couldn't seem to find them anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post

Skip to 5:05 and you'll see what im talking about imagine this game 7 in winnipeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbR9X4aVy0
Hint to everyone else - watch the Jumbotron screen that's in the video. I was just staring at the tunnel/ice for 30 seconds wondering what's the big deal

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:20 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Re: Centre Slush Puppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
To me it looks like a giant car sales showroom.
It really does.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Hint to everyone else - watch the Jumbotron screen that's in the video. I was just staring at the tunnel/ice for 30 seconds wondering what's the big deal
Thanks! I was staring at the tunnel too!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 7:15 AM

@esquire I didn't know any of this existed on this lower level, I didn't realize that entire basement of the main atrium was all open space. I kinda figured it ended with the arena bowl footprint. With the help of google maps i was able to explore down there. That's a massive space, way bigger than i expected. What really confuses me is the stair location. In the renderings it shows a set of stairs in the Budweiser king club essentially right at the opening of the bowl. But the current stairs are in the main atrium they must be adding a new set? It's very confusing. It makes me wonder if they are expanding the kings club down as well as out. Maybe turning the true north lounge into more kings club and the exchange for general use? maybe that set of stairs is too a completely different area all together.

Edit* ive got it figured out now. That set of stairs is already there its just hidden in the walls. They are really opening up the kings club, Currently you have to walk down a little hallway to get to the wider edges of the king club sections. they are blowing down all those walls which will open a ton of space and then they are making it deeper into the current concourse. its basically tripling in size.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jan 14, 2023 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 7:24 AM

Another thing I find interesting on that map is the "JetsTV broadcast desk" You can see it built into the rendering photos and im fairly certain thats not there today which makes me think these are future renders. I wonder if the plan is to give fans in the exchange area access to the players as its a clear glass barrier. I cant imagine the press will be there pre/post game but maybe post game shows with Sara Orlesky and a jets player or 2 as they do in Edmonton which is open viewing to the public. I Love that True North was able to build a 145M building downtown in an era where buildings cost 400-450M+ and turn it into a "top" notch NHL building for an extra 70M, still a bargain. It doesn't have the room of rogers place or the fancy corporate flash of Scotiabank arena. But they keep finding ways to squeeze in a few 1000sq ft of concourse space and VIP seating here and there. Honestly I'm almost certain after these renos are finished Canada life place will be on par with most NHL arenas in terms of concourse congestion. I've been to rogers arena in Vancouver and its as congested as Canada life if not worse, Ive heard Montreal and Calgary are really bad too.

I found the renderins you were looking for also Found some renderings of the Budweiser Kingsclub renovation and concourse expansion. Looks like they are adding a few more bar areas and expanding the kingsclub as well "coming 2023"

https://www.nhl.com/jets/tickets/pre...et-memberships

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jan 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

Calgary's concourse is horrible, but I still love the old Dome.

I really want to get to a Jets game to check it out in-person, for I would agree that given what they were able to do, their resourcefulness and thoughtful updates, CLP works well and provides a good experience.

I love how intimate the building feels (I've been in it) versus these vast modern beasts.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:37 PM

Calgary’s concourse is horrible. Same can be said for McMahon stadium. The concourse is the make or break for me when it comes to stadiums. To me, so what if it doesn’t have all the luxury boxes, fancy restaurants, shiny lustre, nice architecture, etc… so long as it has half decent line of sight and a quick run to the bathroom and back to the seat then I’m a happy customer.

Last edited by Hackslack; Jan 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:49 PM

Nice work digging up those renderings, oilkountry.

For what it's worth I don't find CLC concourses overly congested. It's certainly full but not to the point where you can't move around. However, making better use of the ice level and 100 level concourses at the north end of the arena by redoing the former Moxie's and Exchange spaces will definitely provide some more elbow room. For sure better use could be made of the ice level space where there are a couple of concessions, washrooms, etc. but hardly anyone uses that space... probably because most people aren't aware of it in the first place.

The only NHL game I've been to out of town in recent years was at Rogers Arena last year in Vancouver, and sitting in the upper level I attempted to do a lap around the concourse at intermission and that was impossible. It reminded me of IG Field when there's a full house, ha. In fairness it is a bigger building than CLC.

I agree that CLC has come a long way since it was built. When it opened in 2004 most of the interior touches were decidedly AHL, but it feels like a new arena now. It has been improved more in its 18 years of existence than old Winnipeg Arena was in nearly 50... the old barn was expanded considerably in 1979, but it was never really improved all that much. In terms of sheer bang for the buck, CLC is damn near impossible to beat.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:34 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Calgary’s concourse is horrible. Same can be said for McMahon stadium. The concourse is the make or break for me when it comes to stadiums. To me, so what if it doesn’t have all the luxury boxes, fancy restaurants, shiny lustre, nice architecture, etc… so long as it has half decent line of sight and a quick rub to the bathroom and back to the seat then I’m a happy customer.
Oh boy.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:37 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

A little old now (late Nov.) - but here is an article with an update on progress on renovations to Skydome (refuse to call it Rogers):

http://https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/news/infrastructure/2022/11/pcl-working-double-shifts-on-rogers-centre-renovations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Oh boy.
Lol!! Fat fingers suck

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nice work digging up those renderings, oilkountry.

For what it's worth I don't find CLC concourses overly congested. It's certainly full but not to the point where you can't move around. However, making better use of the ice level and 100 level concourses at the north end of the arena by redoing the former Moxie's and Exchange spaces will definitely provide some more elbow room. For sure better use could be made of the ice level space where there are a couple of concessions, washrooms, etc. but hardly anyone uses that space... probably because most people aren't aware of it in the first place.

The only NHL game I've been to out of town in recent years was at Rogers Arena last year in Vancouver, and sitting in the upper level I attempted to do a lap around the concourse at intermission and that was impossible. It reminded me of IG Field when there's a full house, ha. In fairness it is a bigger building than CLC.

I agree that CLC has come a long way since it was built. When it opened in 2004 most of the interior touches were decidedly AHL, but it feels like a new arena now. It has been improved more in its 18 years of existence than old Winnipeg Arena was in nearly 50... the old barn was expanded considerably in 1979, but it was never really improved all that much. In terms of sheer bang for the buck, CLC is damn near impossible to beat.
Its quite impressive how much they were able to stretch 50 million so far, structural changes to the building with the loge seating and extra concourse, New seats (which rogers arena still doesn't have), LED ribbon boards, scoreboard, sound system, complete concourse refresh, luxury suites refresh. You hear about these big arenas getting 100M renovations and they don't look much different. This arena is different top to bottom. Winnipeg knows how to stretch a dollar

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:46 PM

OHL's Ottawa 67s may play their first round of the playoffs in Gatineau in the new Slush Puppie Arena as the Civic Centre will be hosting the Curling World Championship.

This will give the team and fans a look at what we can expect of a modern CHL caliber arena as we prepare for the eventual replacement of the 10k, 1967 Civic Centre.

https://www.ledroit.com/2023/01/16/l...6de67134c5423a

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 10:48 PM

New pictures and videos from the Rogers Centre renovation during a media tour today.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...tions-toronto/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 7:17 PM

A guy with the Montreal Canadiens posted this below. Don't have any context about where the drawings came from or how advanced the concept was. The comments to the post don't add anything.

The Olympic Stadium if it hosted the 2026 World Cup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada