HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:17 PM

Re: Roundabout

I drove the roundabout twice yesterday. One time with no issue and one time someone didn't yield to me when they should have. Not a big deal, slowed and let him pass and exited safely.

I drove the Forest Hill/Beaverbrook/Waterloo Row intersection twice yesterday, both times coming down Forest Hill going onto Waterloo Row. The first time, as we turned right and attempted to proceed to the stop sign at Waterloo Row we were cut off not once but twice - by a vehicle turning left and one going straight. If we weren't paying attention we would have t-boned the first car at a high rate of speed. The second time I drove through it was around 11pm from the same direction. As we approached we noticed a significantly damaged and smoking SUV in the middle of the intersection and truck pulled over 50m away. The truck was also damaged. We checked if everyone was ok and they were both out of the vehicles and cops were on the way.

I also watched a near miss at Prospect at Regent on my way to work this morning as car turning left tried to get through on the yellow while a car going straight decided to do the same.

Point being; there may be some confusion regarding the roundabout but the slow speeds should minimize serious accidents (morons going the wrong way notwithstanding). The existing intersections are more likely to be the bloodbaths that some seem to think the roundabout will be.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:21 PM

I'm actually always surprised by how well the Forest Hill/Beaverbrook/Waterloo Row intersection works considering its odd layout.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:50 PM

Maneuvered the round-about today...no issues...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:10 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Maneuvered the round-about today...no issues...

Good job Freddy. But did you do it correctly

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Good job Freddy. But did you do it correctly
Yep...both hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 O'clock

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:24 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Yep...both hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 O'clock

counter clockwise ? Did you use the right lane ? and lastly did you signal on the way out ?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:28 PM
The Sheriff

I know this has been talked about on here many many times before. But is there any truth of the new playhouse going on the old Bus station grounds on Regent Street.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I know this has been talked about on here many many times before. But is there any truth of the new playhouse going on the old Bus station grounds on Regent Street.
Nothing confirmed yet as far as I know. But one of the two preferred locations is the old bus station on Smythe. The other is on the river behind City Hall.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:31 PM

Rumours now are that Cineplex is negotiating a new shorter term lease to stay in the mall. Mall wants the foot traffic it brings in. Doubt they'll be a renovation till they declamp and simply start with a new building now. Cost of renovations versus a new building cost would be surprisingly close. Same ol' theatre with dark, broken down bathrooms and hissing speakers. Or who knows, shut the thing down with the advent of almost new to theatre on demand movies right at home? The theatre was seemingly busy all summer with Jurassic, Avengers, Inside Out, Minions, Mad Max, Antman, Trainwreck, Magic Mike XXL, and leading to the fall with MockingJay, Spectre, The Martian and of course Star Wars. If that lineup won't help pay for a new theatre/renovations, I don't know what will?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:11 AM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooCowMilk View Post
Rumours now are that Cineplex is negotiating a new shorter term lease to stay in the mall. Mall wants the foot traffic it brings in. Doubt they'll be a renovation till they declamp and simply start with a new building now. Cost of renovations versus a new building cost would be surprisingly close. Same ol' theatre with dark, broken down bathrooms and hissing speakers. Or who knows, shut the thing down with the advent of almost new to theatre on demand movies right at home? The theatre was seemingly busy all summer with Jurassic, Avengers, Inside Out, Minions, Mad Max, Antman, Trainwreck, Magic Mike XXL, and leading to the fall with MockingJay, Spectre, The Martian and of course Star Wars. If that lineup won't help pay for a new theatre/renovations, I don't know what will?
No kidding that bathroom is horrible at least the mens. That tile by the urinals is trippy when your walking in.

Last edited by Blue Blazer; Sep 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I'm actually always surprised by how well the Forest Hill/Beaverbrook/Waterloo Row intersection works considering its odd layout.
I've heard before that the odd layout is part of the reason why it works. It's so weird that people instinctively start paying attention when they go into it, which results in far fewer problems due to lack of attention.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 9:38 PM

A couple of houses on Regent near the intersection with Squires Street have been torn down. Colpitts had a proposal before the PAC a while ago for a townhouse development on that site.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 1:38 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
A couple of houses on Regent near the intersection with Squires Street have been torn down. Colpitts had a proposal before the PAC a while ago for a townhouse development on that site.
Noticed that on Friday on my way up to Costco. Probably not a bad idea. I know two of them houses seemed like an eye sore and run down. Townhouse would brighten that area up some

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
I've heard before that the odd layout is part of the reason why it works. It's so weird that people instinctively start paying attention when they go into it, which results in far fewer problems due to lack of attention.
Simms Corner in Saint John is the same way - totally messed-up intersection that actually ends up being safer because every driver is afraid of it and tiptoes through.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post

Royal 'T' Suites this morning. When is the opening date? I can't seem to find Tony George's website, so I'm not quite sure if he renamed the building itself or rebranded his company. Nonetheless, the building is a welcome addition to the skyline.

notice the roof line... Roofers were there today and I don't see any safety railings nor did they have harness to keep'em alive..

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:43 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnlgr View Post
notice the roof line... Roofers were there today and I don't see any safety railings nor did they have harness to keep'em alive..
You should have probably called health and safety.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Simms Corner in Saint John is the same way - totally messed-up intersection that actually ends up being safer because every driver is afraid of it and tiptoes through.
As a resident of Saint John I would have to agree with you on that. "Proceed with extreme caution & enter at your own risk" is the unofficial slogan of Simms Corner

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:47 AM
Any where but Fredericton

Just seen some news on the fox facebook page

looks like its coming closer to happening

http://www.foxrocks.ca/local-news/20...iving-facility.

City Motel may soon become assisted living facility.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
Just seen some news on the fox facebook page

looks like its coming closer to happening

http://www.foxrocks.ca/local-news/20...iving-facility.

City Motel may soon become assisted living facility.
WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! Though it may look a little out of place, as it it alot larger than I thought it was going to be.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:06 AM

A huge improvement over what's there now. It adds a new wing along Regent street along with a 4th floor over the entire building, so that's really going to change the look on that corner.

I think I may miss the WAM! sign a little, but it should look great when its done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces