HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:34 PM

Boy, if the city police just parks a car there the city will be out of debt in no time with tickets handed out like candy on Halloween.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Actually the Roundabout's limit is 30. It's on the Orange sign with the Roundabout arrows just before you enter it. (Look on the video above to see it at the 8 second mark).
Yeah I just noticed that although technically that isn't a limit, is it?

Apparently the police have already pulled over a few cars whose drivers misused the roundabout. Hopefully they will continue to do so for a while.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Yeah I just noticed that although technically that isn't a limit, is it?
Don't see why it wouldn't be a limit. It's a speed limit indicator after all, just like you would see on exit/entrance ramps ("Ramp speed 80km/h" ).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Don't see why it wouldn't be a limit. It's a speed limit indicator after all, just like you would see on exit/entrance ramps ("Ramp speed 80km/h" ).
Yellow signs are warnings and the limit on them is the maximum advised speed. This is distinct from white speed limit signs.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:23 PM

OliverD is right, they are used to suggest a safe speed to go trough the turn, ramp, roundabout or other section of road for a short distance.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:14 AM

90% of the population should re-take a new Road test, and all new drivers should have to take a road test that includes roundabouts... Both in Moncton, and Fredericton I've seen so many people go the wrong way. whats even worst is the fact there are signs saying to go counter clockwise...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:14 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
90% of the population should re-take a new Road test, and all new drivers should have to take a road test that includes roundabouts... Both in Moncton, and Fredericton I've seen so many people go the wrong way. whats even worst is the fact there are signs saying to go counter clockwise...
...you're supposed to go counter clockwise around a roundabout or traffic circle.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
...you're supposed to go counter clockwise around a roundabout or traffic circle.
Sorry for the miss understanding but that's what I meant to say... There are actually signs telling you the speed, and direction of the roundabout (counterclockwise) in Fredericton, and the one in Moncton is also marked out properly as well but still get people trying to go clockwise.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:58 PM

More Round-a-bout Craziness

My wife tried the new round-a-bout this morning at 6:45. She was travelling on the eastbound lane of Route 8, she just wanted to go through it and continue on Route 8 East. She had to slam on her brakes before she got a chance to enter the round-a-bout as an SUV, travelling the wrong way, cut her off and continued west on the east =bound lane of the Route 8. She could hear a chorus of horns behind her. Once she got into the round-a-bout she had to again slam on the brakes as a truck hauling a utility trailer, again going the wrong way cut her off as it tried to take the Bishop Drive on ramp. The truck driver then slammed on the brakes himself once he realized he was in the wrong lane. Then he preceded to back up into the round-a-bout!! This blocked my wife from continuing on. The driver behind her pulled up to her bumper and laid on the horn...as if she could move. Anyway, the truck driver stopped and moved forward so she could continue on...as she did the driver behind her shot out around her and laid on the horn AND also cut off the driver beside him who also laid on his horn. Let's just say she needed a few minutes to calm her nerves. Wished we had a dashcam. She took a different route home.

A policeman seems to be stationed there for a certain period of time, not at that time though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:34 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
My wife tried the new round-a-bout this morning at 6:45. She was travelling on the eastbound lane of Route 8, she just wanted to go through it and continue on Route 8 East. She had to slam on her brakes before she got a chance to enter the round-a-bout as an SUV, travelling the wrong way, cut her off and continued west on the east =bound lane of the Route 8. She could hear a chorus of horns behind her. Once she got into the round-a-bout she had to again slam on the brakes as a truck hauling a utility trailer, again going the wrong way cut her off as it tried to take the Bishop Drive on ramp. The truck driver then slammed on the brakes himself once he realized he was in the wrong lane. Then he preceded to back up into the round-a-bout!! This blocked my wife from continuing on. The driver behind her pulled up to her bumper and laid on the horn...as if she could move. Anyway, the truck driver stopped and moved forward so she could continue on...as she did the driver behind her shot out around her and laid on the horn AND also cut off the driver beside him who also laid on his horn. Let's just say she needed a few minutes to calm her nerves. Wished we had a dashcam. She took a different route home.

A policeman seems to be stationed there for a certain period of time, not at that time though.

Does this really surprise you ? Ive gone threw it twice no problems at all. No police in sight. Then again I was more focused on the road and not looking for cops or other bad drivers

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:50 PM

I think I heard about the truck incident this morning on the radio. Someone called Up93 and told that story about encountering the truck with the trailer going the wrong way. He didn't mention it backing up however.

The radio station sent their cruiser up to have someone watch for a bit, and he didn't see any problems overall, not even any other close calls.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It would appear that chaos has indeed ensued!!

Personally, I would think it would take a particular level of stupidity to end up going the wrong direction around a roundabout. The entry lane would seem to guide you into travelling counter clockwise. How the frig would you end up going clockwise!!!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:23 PM

True story: I once saw someone driving up the Smyth Street off-ramp on the Westmorland Street Bridge. I can't imagine how a person could get turned that far around, but someone did manage it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:00 PM

I have seen cars going the wrong way on the ring road a couple times and once saw a car going up the off ramp at the Royal Rd exit.

I don't understand the difficulty/confusion with the new roundabout, I have also been through a few times without issue, not a difficult concept, but neither is merging, but lots of people don't seem to get it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I found this interesting photo of the new roundabout taken from the top of the nearby water tower:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:37 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Cool capture!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I found this interesting photo of the new roundabout taken from the top of the nearby water tower:

It's a nice looking intersection from above, if nothing else. From that photo I find it hard to figure out how one goes th wrong way... the roads are all strategically oriented to make it simple!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:51 AM

Ladies and gentlemen lets start the bets, how long before the bushes/trees in the middle get run over by someone going straight through!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:20 AM

I guess I could see how somebody could be confused by the arrows on the road. The arrows on the lead up to the entrance almost seem to be saying you can turn left - the difference between those makings and the standard "left turn allowed" arrow paintings are small enough that somebody might not notice.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
I guess I could see how somebody could be confused by the arrows on the road. The arrows on the lead up to the entrance almost seem to be saying you can turn left - the difference between those makings and the standard "left turn allowed" arrow paintings are small enough that somebody might not notice.

I was actually thinking about that. I'm quick to calling someone who goes the wrong way in a roundabout a moron but yet I'm use to roundabouts, and they must be use to the regular single lane either way, and once in a blue moon 2 lanes either way with lights, or stop signs at the intersection...

This is why I say roundabouts should be on the driving exam. I seen Driver Training cars on the road in Both Moncton, and Fredericton this week, and in neither situation did I see them use a roundabout. I had asked the Instructors when I got a chance, and they told me they don't make them, and neither do provincial examiners cause there is not that big of a chance for a young driver to go the wrong way.

BTW: We where almost crashed into by a younger guy who did not seem to be road ready. He was going the wrong way, and seemed to be under 18.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces