HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 11:54 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandopilot View Post
Yes they have for profit operations all over the place. Not just skyscrapers but cattle and citrus ranches, logging operations etc. the money earned from something like 1601 Vine allows them to do future projects as well as humanitarian projects around the world. When they do a building it is always top notch. Wherever they build, the LDS Church seems to obtain some of the most prominent land in town. I have heard that many did not want to build on Vine because of the rock below ground.. It would have defeated anyone but the best funded developers. The LDS Church had the financial ability to do this project right. If you want to see a sample of things they have built and own Google "Deseret Citrus and Cattle Ranch" and "City Creek Center" in Salt Lake.
Great insight! Thanks for explaining.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 3:38 PM
West bench livin'

As an employee of the LDS Church's IT department, I can say that orlandopilot's summation is pretty spot-on. I've been very happy with the 1601 project and really hope that there will be similar project built here in Salt Lake with at least the same height if not taller with that same attention to detail (loving the brick cladding detail going up)!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 11:19 PM

Absolutely stunning! I was walking through USC campus the other day, wishing we still built a few buildings like I was seeing from the older section of campus. I don't think we've had any major religious or civic structures of this craftsmanship detailing go up since the 30's in L.A. I'm very jealous. Love that new tower too.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 6:53 AM
Everywhere all at once

What a spectacle...you can say what you want about the Mormon Church, but they are currently the only religious organization in the United States that still builds religious structures of this caliber.

Now we need some Mosques on the level of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandopilot View Post
Yes they have for profit operations all over the place. Not just skyscrapers but cattle and citrus ranches, logging operations etc. the money earned from something like 1601 Vine allows them to do future projects as well as humanitarian projects around the world. When they do a building it is always top notch. Wherever they build, the LDS Church seems to obtain some of the most prominent land in town. I have heard that many did not want to build on Vine because of the rock below ground.. It would have defeated anyone but the best funded developers. The LDS Church had the financial ability to do this project right. If you want to see a sample of things they have built and own Google "Deseret Citrus and Cattle Ranch" and "City Creek Center" in Salt Lake.
Good thing they grabbed those lots then. With that rock problem it would have taken a long time to find a profit-hungry developer to fill those two.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 1:37 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Even on this site they had a bit of rock that had to be jacked out. I love this project for so many reasons. Thank God the mormons built it!

The church and the tower look great when driving on the Vine street expressway.

Orlandopilot, thanks a ton for the insight. My wife and I took the tour on the first day it was available. Our guide said things that were congruent with what you mentioned. She said this temple, and the building, were built in a style to celebrate Philadelphia's past and present. It looks like they hit the nail on the head!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:18 PM

Just a quick update I took during lunch.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Nice, Groundhog! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 8:23 PM
Fishtown & Country

Tuesday, 10/25, seen from the B Franklin bridge-

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 8:27 PM
BANNED

it will be nice to see the chinatown tower in that view in 2 years.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:50 PM

I was crossing Vine St at 17th the other day, and I was struck by how vastly different it feels. Instead of crossing the abyss (expressway) to reach a desert of parking lots, you now have an inviting and attractive few blocks beckoning you across. Night and day. It really reduces the negative presence of the expressway.

This tower is looking great - can't wait to see the finished product.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Even on this site they had a bit of rock that had to be jacked out. I love this project for so many reasons. Thank God the mormons built it!

The church and the tower look great when driving on the Vine street expressway.

Orlandopilot, thanks a ton for the insight. My wife and I took the tour on the first day it was available. Our guide said things that were congruent with what you mentioned. She said this temple, and the building, were built in a style to celebrate Philadelphia's past and present. It looks like they hit the nail on the head!
They really do look great, and along the Expressway it's a fantastic "Welcome to Philadelphia!" I wish the PCDC was doing something a little more experimental with Eastern Tower to add to the whole experience, but it looks like developers are finally willing to embrace Vine Street. Walking across it really isn't that big of a deal, and developers are finally waking up and realizing the value of the land.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:48 PM

From the Land Title Building, 10/26:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:50 PM

^ Wow. I didn't' realize how much the Family Court looked like one of the Penn Centers from that angle. The Alexander really pushes back the "horizon" for Center City from that angle.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
From the Land Title Building, 10/26:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ Wow. I didn't' realize how much the Family Court looked like one of the Penn Centers from that angle. The Alexander really pushes back the "horizon" for Center City from that angle.

Below a Photo From the Arnold T. Berman at Hahnemann Hospital
(through a very dirty glass) Where are the maintenance men, or window washers? I need to take photos! What's wrong with you guys?
But anyway, the Family Court House Building hiding behind the Parking Garage on the left. It does add density, and really looks cool from a higher floor in this building.
I didn't feel like going back up, after spending hours above.
But I had the same thought, that it looks like one of the Penn Center Buildings.
[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 1:41 PM

Looks like 2 more floors until mechanical top level.

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:29 PM

Talking

Two floors to go plus mechanical floor? That's great as it means it will get into my skyline view. As of today I can see the construction wood on the top.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 2:50 PM

This is looking so great. It's nicely visible on Market Street in the blocks leading up to the Schuylkill as well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:26 PM

townhomes

Was reading that some of the 5-bedroom with elevator town-mansions going up on Front have pre-sold. Wonder what the word is on the townhomes planned for the base perimeter of of this tower? Pre-sales? I can't imagine living with the Vine expressway right outside my front door - BUT - when it's eventually covered, those places will be sweet!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:34 PM

^^I'm assuming the townhomes in this development will be rental like the Edgewater and Museum Towers townhomes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive