HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Since there were no objections, and the previous title didn't refer to the project, I've changed the title.
It would have been great if we could pay homage to what the building actually was for 30 years which was EATON'S. Could we perhaps insert EATON'S in the title? EATON'S maintained the building exceptionally well and many of us have found memories of shopping there for decades.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Precisely. @LeftCoaster: the simplest way is to first think of window-shopping. i.e: a wall that attracts people and gives something to admire and / or be of interest to them, as opposed to just a blank stone or concrete wall.

I'm not trying to be snide, but just to give the most basic, understandable idea I can think of.
Did you even look at the models? There is plenty of window shopping space. It is not just blank walls a la the current situation.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Quite easily, it's done in many over here in Europe. There usually are "boutiques" for the higher-end brands on the ground floor that have entrances from the street and from inside the department store.
Well that is the call of the retailer not the landlord or city. Nordstrom will likely have in store boutiques similar to what is see at Holts down the road, however they clearly want them in the store not fronting the road. This is because placing them in the store forces the foot traffic into the store whereas if you front the street with them a customer could do their shopping at the channel shop in shop without ever stepping foot in Nordstrom, which defeats the entire purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks for posting!

I would have preferred if Cadillac Fairview had sliced off 2 levels of the Granville side of the Nordstrom space for lease as streetfront retail - but that's a business decision, not a design decision. I still think that Nordstrom and Granville Street are inconsistent with each other.
Nordstrom has already stated that its main entrance will be the Robson & Howe entrance.
Indeed, I think that would have been the prefered method for all however Nordstrom would not have been willing to pay the high rent necessary to justify the Sears buyout if they were not given the Granville Facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
interactive wall?

doesnt have to be retail, just has to be interesting and a people magnet.
Well the wall is there. What Nordstrom does with it is really their call. Maybe you guys should write them if you have major issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Did you even look at the models? There is plenty of window shopping space. It is not just blank walls a la the current situation.
Thanks for paying attention. There is a ton of glass along the Granville facade, in fact with the exception of one architectural band most of the facade is glass except where servicing/operations and structural issues made it unfeasible. It will most likely be used as display windows but that is Nordstrom's call, not the city or the landlords.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

I couldn't see that from the renders, or I interpreted them wrongly.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:52 PM

http://www.travelandleisure.com/imag...jpg?1297369609

Out of curiosity, regarding at least the Granville side of the building, would something like this have been more preferable top those who wanted colour and sparkle? It's the Institute for Sound and Vision, Hilversum, NL.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 6:41 PM
ON3P Skis

This went to DPB yesterday afternoon, I assume it sailed through? Was anyone there and could perhaps share any new details?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
Here are some pix of the model and floor plans.

All pix by Built Form
I just noticed that the main Granville & Georgia entrance doesn't look like it will be handicapped accessible.
The ramps are gone and it looks like stairs have been put in their place.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:08 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's going to the DPB next week, it was postponed from Dec.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:06 PM

Development Permit Board Report -

A number of recommendations - including improving Granville frontage, adding more transparency to Howe frontage, moving Canada Line emergency exit to Sears building (why not go further and add an entrance?), closure of Robson parkade entrance, exposed neon lettering on blade sign, make rotunda replacement more prominent.

Of special note:
See Appendix F for historical review of Eatons/ TD Tower by Don Luxton.
The original Eaton's was designed by IM Pei (the architect who designed the Lourve's pyramid and Washington's National Art Gallery additiuon). Cesar Pelli (architect of Petronas Towers, etc.) took over and largely kept the Eaton's design intact (except changed the facade from brutalist raw concrete to the aggregate marble) and redesigned TD Tower from a brutalist form (which actually look very similar to the north and east facades of Library Square tower) to the all glass tower you see today.
Includes renders of IM Pei’s original 1966 brutalist TD Tower concept.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/commit...-granville.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:15 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Development Permit Board Report -

A number of recommendations - including improving Granville frontage, adding more transparency to Howe frontage, moving Canada Line emergency exit to Sears building (why not go further and add an entrance?), closure of Robson parkade entrance, exposed neon lettering on blade sign, make rotunda replacement more prominent.

Of special note:
See Appendix F for historical review of Eatons/ TD Tower by Don Luxton.
The original Eaton's was designed by IM Pei (the architect who designed the Lourve's pyramid and Washington's National Art Gallery additiuon). Cesar Pelli (architect of Petronas Towers, etc.) took over and largely kept the Eaton's design intact (except changed the facade from brutalist raw concrete to the aggregate marble) and redesigned TD Tower from a brutalist form (which actually look very similar to the north and east facades of Library Square tower) to the all glass tower you see today.
Includes renders of IM Pei’s original 1966 brutalist TD Tower concept.

Fascinating!! Had no idea IM Pei had anything to do with the conception of PC, even more exciting to know that today it emulates much of his influence.

I think we've all been too quick to jump on the eaton's/sears 'urinal' reference bandwagon. Growing up in Vancouver, there was little if any resistance to the EATON'S building in the days when it was immaculately maintained including the geometric roof ( gravel ) design. Initially it was a beautiful, simplistic, modernist building, as was the TD Tower.. simple and elegant.. a vertical black structure and a matching horizontal version in white. Both complimented each other perfectly.

Things began to deteriorate when EATON'S added the 'cap design' 6th and 7th floors in the late 70's, I believe... but it really went south during the 'eatons' ( 2000 ) redesign of the Robson and Granville entrances, the moving of the blade signs so that they no longer integrated with the Granville and Robson entries... and finally things bottomed out when Sears failed to maintain the building or even clean it.

I firmly believe that IM Pei's ( and Cesar Pelli's ) vision should have been fundamentally preserved by James Cheng, instead we settled for short term gratification with 'trendy condo style' cues, which IMO already look dated and short sighted. Sadly.. another missed opportunity for the most prominent structure in our city centre.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Fascinating!! Had no idea IM Pei had anything to do with the conception of PC, even more exciting to know that today it emulates much of his influence.

I think we've all been too quick to jump on the eaton's/sears 'urinal' reference bandwagon. Growing up in Vancouver, there was little if any resistance to the EATON'S building in the days when it was immaculately maintained including the geometric roof ( gravel ) design. Initially it was a beautiful, simplistic, modernist building, as was the TD Tower.. simple and elegant.. a vertical black structure and a matching horizontal version in white. Both complimented each other perfectly.

Things began to deteriorate when EATON'S added the 'cap design' 6th and 7th floors in the late 70's, I believe... but it really went south during the 'eatons' ( 2000 ) redesign of the Robson and Granville entrances, the moving of the blade signs so that they no longer integrated with the Granville and Robson entries... and finally things bottomed out when Sears failed to maintain the building or even clean it.

I firmly believe that IM Pei's ( and Cesar Pelli's ) vision should have been fundamentally preserved by James Cheng, instead we settled for short term gratification with 'trendy condo style' cues, which IMO already look dated and short sighted. Sadly.. another missed opportunity for the most prominent structure in our city centre.
Agreed.

I think the point of no return was when Abbarch added the oversized banner frames to the Robson & Howe corner, as well as the shifting of the entrances to the corners. Agreed on the useless shifting of the blade signs and installation of aluminum cladding to fill the gap.
It was a real missed opportunity in that they didn't focus on the existing back-lit spandrel panels above each entrance alcove. If they had highlighted each alcove entrance with modern lighting, it would have been spectacular at night.

It's unfortunate that the Cheng design doesn't move the Robson & Howe entrance away from the corner to its original location, to make the facade of the building more relevant for display windows, etc. It's also a shame that they are eliminating the store entrance from Howe street (eliminating the need for sense of "place" created by the alcove). The Granville entrance is being shifted closer to its original location, but the alcove is being filled in (likely due to homeless / busking issues). The alcoves are really a distinctive architectural feature that, from a very far distance, denote "entrance" (unlike the proposed differentiation in cladding and minor variation in an otherwise continuous canopy). In that way, it's being more of a box.

The report says the roof canopy references the Central Library roof - but that's the wrong modernist era - 20 years before this building's time. It's a bit like adding Georgian heritage elements to an art deco building.

Of course, the change in use to the upper floors seals the current facade's fate.

But it would have been nice if the lower half of the new design had retained a 70s modernist form, with entrances at deep alcoves and colour changing LEDs lighting up bands above each alcove (like the as built), with added modern lighting in the alcove ceilings. The glazing at grade could be lightened up (clearer) and the horizontal band display windows could be heightened while retaiing the banding theme. i.e. Keep it simple. The alcoves and lighting would just scream "ENTER HERE".

The top floors could still be treated separately and still have the changes in glazing and canopy, etc. (i.e. in the report, there was a 1966 concept for a hotel on the upper floors, so a differentiation between upper floors and lower floors could still adhere to the original concept for the building)

Here's a pic with some of the original backlit spandrel lighting scheme shown circled:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 16, 2013 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:56 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Agreed.

I think the point of no return was when Abbarch added the oversized banner frames to the Robson & Howe corner, as well as the shifting of the entrances to the corners. Agreed on the useless shifting of the blade signs and installation of aluminum cladding to fill the gap.
It was a real missed opportunity in that they didn't focus on the existing back-lit spandrel panels above each entrance alcove. If they had highlighted each alcove entrance with modern lighting, it would have been spectacular at night.

It's unfortunate that the Cheng design doesn't move the entrances away from the corners, making the facades of the building more relevant for display windows, etc.

Of course, the change in use to the upper floors seals the current facade's fate.
Very true! The oversized banner frame threw off the proportions and balance of the Howe facade and I would have loved to know the reasons for moving the blade signs. The banner frames became even more unsightly when Sears stopped actually using it a few years ago and allowed it to grow ever dirtier, it seemed to take on a yellow colour after a while.

I believe Cheng could have maintained the elegant simple shape even with the required glazing on the upper floors... he seems obsessed with complexity and questionable proportions in an attempt to apply too many trendy looks and materials, much like the Fairmont Pacific Rim.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 AM

Yes, the Fairmont Pacific Rim does look like a mess from certain angles (i.e. north up Burrard St.)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I believe Cheng could have maintained the elegant simple shape even with the required glazing on the upper floors... he seems obsessed with complexity and questionable proportions in an attempt to apply too many trendy looks and materials, much like the Fairmont Pacific Rim.
Cheng is a mediocre architect from a city with mediocre architecture. What did you expect?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:38 AM

Here's the 1966 design of Eaton's by IM Pei from the report noted above.

and Pacific Centre overall.
Note the "rooftop motor hotel" on top of Eaton's and the differentiation in upper and lower treatment. That could be revisited in the current redevelopment.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 16, 2013 at 5:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 7:23 PM

Pic by me today:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 9:35 PM

Circulated around the office today:

Quote:
DATE: January 24, 2013

ATTENTION: All Office Tenants – Pacific Centre and HSBC Building

WHAT: Sears Building Redevelopment Project (725 Granville St) – Exterior Façade Removal

WHEN: Beginning on Monday, January 28, 2013

WHY: Ledcor Construction will be commencing work on the exterior façade removal phase of the 725 Granville project. This phase will require street hoarding and fencing on each side of the building to facilitate the removal of the white pre-cast panels and glazing.

IMPACT: During this phase of work, extensive fencing and covered hoarding will be erected around the building. The paneling will be removed using an electric crane on a swing stage, similar to a window cleaning stage, which will lower the panels to street level for removal. Additionally, during this work the sidewalks will be closed intermittently when the panels are being lowered to the street level for removal. Work will begin on the TD plaza area of the building and will proceed south down Granville, onto Robson, and then along Howe Street.

Exterior Façade Removal Plan

[Shows work starting on Granville at the rotunda and working clockwise around the building.]

Pre-cast Panel Removal Diagram

[Shows an electric crane/winch will be used to lower pre-cast panels and then they will be forklifted onto flatbed trucks]

Hoarding Plan

[Shows hoardings with a pedestrian path on each street around the building, with extended hoardings on Howe over the parking entrances. To be installed after pre-cast removed in each area.]

As the project moves forward, there will be an increased number of workers in and around the project site. We will be providing regular updates and further details as this project unfolds.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
life in the present

Wow great info!!!
Gotta get down there and grab a few last snaps of Cesar Pelli's creation!
Bittersweet for sure.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Pic by me today:

Kinda weird that they're redoing that area when it was already redone for the Canada line a few years ago.

It was skateboarder heaven before that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:12 PM

^ Actually, I would hazard that the fence is the first step required for cladding removal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver