HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:51 AM
seriously

New Era sign is up

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
DBolivar, you're sounding more and more like me. Watch it...
Naw, he just knows how things can be in Buffalo. We're all thinking it, he just said it first. Hey, is the NEW ERA sign Awesome or what? and to think what the dam thing looked like before. REMARKABLE!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Cars Sharing Main Street project has been delayed.

Main Street Traffic?

Why aren't cars on Main street in downtown Buffalo?
2 On Your Side talks to a top city official about the matter.

Buffalo Commissioner of Permits and Inspection, Richard Tobe admits the timeline has changed. Tobe says the federal environmental review called on the city to answer safety questions. Last week, the city submitted the final documents for review.

You may be able to drive downtown Main street in Buffalo, NY in 2009 or 2010.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=47007
Hey, WCP posted this last Feb 1st. work was to begin Fall 2006. Perhaps Downtown Bolivar is right. "Maybe Never?"

Car sharing Main rendering from Buffalo Place:

Cars Sharing Main Street Open House:
Wednesday, February 1, 2006
4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Lobby of the Market Arcade Film and Arts Center - 639 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14203

This informational meeting is expected to be the first of a series and will focus on the current status of the project and an overview of design issues being considered by the engineering and project team.

Staff and consultants familiar with the project will be available to answer questions and discuss project objectives throughout the meeting. Written comments pertaining to the project will be accepted.

Should you need further information, please contact Mr. John Bidell, Project Engineer for the City of Buffalo at 716/851-5625, or Debra Chernoff, Buffalo Place Manager of Planning at dchernoff@buffaloplace.com.

Preliminary Engineering for Cars Sharing Main Street will determine the design and location of Metro Rail stations, an attractive pedestrian streetscape, how traffic signals, bicycles and short-term curb parking spaces will be incorporated and coordinate with developments in lower Main Street.

The design will utilize the “Share the Train Way” design alternative, selected through the New York State Environmental Review, SEQRA, in 2003.

Future Cars Sharing Main Street Open Houses will present alternative design concepts for public opinion (expected this spring) and the preferred alternative will be developed over the summer and be publicly presented in the Fall. Final design of the first construction phase is expected to start in the fall of 2006.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:58 PM
welcome to the madness

Sorry for the negative tone lately--just been really bummed out that things seemed to have stalled all at once. I've kind of retreated back to my fantasy of "what could be" if we could just get our stuff together.

There just seems to be a real confusion in Buffalo about what is positive deveopment and what is negative development. Private investment and even public-private investments are good because they add to the tax rolls. Public projects, which in the case of the waterfront seems what preservationists want across the board will not help Buffalo to get back on its feet. We only have to look as far as Baltimore to see how this works (still bitter that Cordish tried it in Buffalo first but was rebuffed in the early 80's). My big concern is that without new major private investment or public-private partnerships within the city, Buffalo is going to have a big problem with long term viability. If public employees think they are living a nightmare now without raises, bankruptcy will be even worse.

At least the Sabres won last night--15 more to go!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:50 PM
Trendy.

CORDISH tried a development in Buffalo and was rebuffed? Oh my GOD...

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
CORDISH tried a development in Buffalo and was rebuffed? Oh my GOD...
Their plan for waterfront village was a joke, then they tried to get in on the inner harbor development team, and went no where. Their reputation here is garbage- see Rainbow Centre Mall in NF. Slumlords.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
may the steve christie poster stay up forever.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 7:11 PM
welcome to the madness

I don't think anything in Niagara Falls should be held up as a good example of anyone's development skills. That place, much like the whirlpool downriver is a vortex that flushes people's hopes and dreams down the toilet. I lived there for 15 years and each year was convinced it couldn't get worse--guess what--IT DID!

The substance of Cordish's plan for the outer harbor in the 80's really doesn't matter--it just serves notice to national developers that it's impossible to get anything done. Speaking of AM&A's, doesn't downtown need a surface lot on Main for the return of vehicular traffic. Hmm...better sign off...I'm on a roll. Nearly 30 years of frustration in the making.

15 games and counting...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
I KNEW IT!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:52 PM

Three versions of the waterfront marketplace...

sorry, too lazy to individually scan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:31 PM

I like the third version.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:33 PM

Kensington Village, the area’s first major suburban apartment complex, could be reborn as a gated community for students.

Student housing complex planned
$96 million project will convert Kensington Village in Cheektowaga

Updated: 04/14/07 7:35 AM

Kensington Village in Cheektowaga, the area’s first major suburban apartment complex, will be converted into a gated community for student housing in a nearly $100 million project.

The apartments just off Eggert Road near the Buffalo city line will be aimed at students attending the University at Buffalo and Buffalo State, Daemen, Canisius, Erie Community, Medaille and Villa Maria colleges.

The Town of Cheektowaga would convey Kenville Road to the developer under the plan to spend up to $96 million to renovate 529 apartments, build a community center and new pool.

“I think it’s terrific,” Cheektowaga Planning Board Chairman Anthony Sisti said. “I like the fact it’s going to be for students. I like the fact they’re remodeling the whole thing. I really think it’s going to be an improvement over there.”

The Planning Board has approved the site plan for the project, pending the legal approval for the town to convey the road and sanitary sewers to entities headed by developer Mark Chason.

The renovation is to take place in two phases, with the first phase of renovating 70 buildings for 552 beds starting this summer. The second phase would start next year, for 652 beds in 82 buildings.

The development is to be called University Centre Student Housing Community.

“This new off-campus community, located within minutes from the academic centers, downtown Buffalo and numerous arts, entertainment and cultural attractions, will create a blended environment of shared learning and living for a diverse college community,” said Chason. “We are working to develop a comprehensive model for student living that will stimulate new business growth and property value stabilization throughout the neighborhood.”

Some student apartments in Amherst have generated complaints from neighbors about rowdiness, and more than 200 police calls in a year. But Cheektowaga officials are encouraged that University Centre will have private security, and student tenants would have to enter through a gate.

“It’s a safe project,” Supervisor James J. Jankowiak said. “I think it gives the parents a sense of well-being.”

“I think that would protect them,” Sisti said. “Sometimes they [students] become easy prey for people.”

MSH-Kenmore, under an agreement with Capstone Chason Development, wants to acquire, redesign, rehabilitate and convert the apartments, according to the town. The Kenmore Housing Authority would issue up to $96 million in tax-exempt bonds for the project.

A total of 1,208 beds will be available in one-, two- and fourbedroom apartments in buildings on the 51-acre site, according to a project overview provided for the Kenmore Housing Authority.

The developers plan to reposition the property, and include about 16 acres of green space. Twelve buildings may be demolished. A running track and an outdoor basketball court would be centrally located, and the developers plan to build a 16,000-square-foot community center with meeting rooms, student lounges with fireplace, community theater, gym and fitness room, outdoor pool, vending and rental offices.

About one-quarter of Kensington Village’s current tenants are students, and the developer is hoping the complex’s proximity to area colleges will attract more, according to the overview.

Chason said the new housing will be a change for some of Kensington Village’s current residents.

“As part of our planning, we are sensitive to the needs of those residents and their relocation opportunities. This is a phased development plan that will happen over a couple of years and will not affect the entire property,” he said.

The growth of private student housing is a nationwide phenomenon, said Joseph K. Krakowiak, UB’s director of housing.

“It’s a style,” he said.

Many university students live off campus, and UB does not require them to live on campus, he said.

“We know statistically people who live on campus, especially new students, do better academically and stay with us,” he said. But he added, “I don’t think one size fits all.”

Since the development would be nonprofit, town officials hope to negotiate a payment- in-lieu-of-taxes agreement that would provide the town with payments equivalent to what it receives in taxes today from the complex.

The late Herbert S. Chason developed more than 1,000 apartments at Kensington Village in the late 1940s and 1950s.

bobrien@buffnews.com

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 8:44 PM
try being in the Buff

I don't know, this just sounds like a "keep the coloreds out of cheektowaga "project to me. I am not sure why.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 8:44 PM
welcome to the madness

I like the 2nd or 3rd versions. Is it just me or does the 1st version look like the main branch of the Niagara Falls public library?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I don't know, this just sounds like a "keep the coloreds out of cheektowaga "project to me. I am not sure why.
Strange you should say that. My niece lives in that Amherst complex, she's what you would call "Colored" (so am I for that matter ) and has been raising "Holy Hell" out there sence she's been there, six years now. She was one of the first few people of color out there. Fair or not, trust is earned. I told her what a resposability she had going in, and her Dad's (my Brother) good standing was the selling point in the decision to let her in there. Seems she brought the entire Hip~Hop Nation with her. I don't know about kids today. No respect for anything. I thank God I came up in the 60's. Oh Well!

Anyway steel, I agree, but, I'm not sure I blame them given the problems in other burbs.

Last edited by Halovet; Apr 15, 2007 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 3:27 AM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
I like the 2nd or 3rd versions. Is it just me or does the 1st version look like the main branch of the Niagara Falls public library?

The 1st and 3rd are the same

WCP, I wish I was as big a geek as you and saved all those clippings. You and I need to do something with the corner of Allen and Main on BRO. I have a picture of the buildings that used to sit on that shovel ready site. I think you said you have clippings of the controversy over demo?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
The 1st and 3rd are the same

WCP, I wish I was as big a geek as you and saved all those clippings. You and I need to do something with the corner of Allen and Main on BRO. I have a picture of the buildings that used to sit on that shovel ready site. I think you said you have clippings of the controversy over demo?
I think I have two clippings about that corner- one about Towne's plans for a restaurant there, the other about the City wanting to tear it down.

That must have happened in the early years when I didn't save everything. It's really only 1 1/2 filing cabinets full (and growing)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 9:56 PM

Isn't The Anchor Bar at Allen and Main? Or P~D close? Seems to me another
restaurant might be in order, but it would have to be unique

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:20 PM
seriously

If the city is going to reconfigure the train station at Allen, it may be a good opportunity for new business to move nearby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations