HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:54 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Candlewood Suites

It appears Ball Ventures is ahead of schedule in opening the Candlewood Suites.

My understanding is it opens at the end of June. With SRL having activities every weekend, the big pier launching etc., what a good time for locals to get to know about the Candlewood. The location makes it ideal for those working for an extended period on either side of town.

Congratulations Ball Ventures!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
It appears Ball Ventures is ahead of schedule in opening the Candlewood Suites.

My understanding is it opens at the end of June. With SRL having activities every weekend, the big pier launching etc., what a good time for locals to get to know about the Candlewood. The location makes it ideal for those working for an extended period on either side of town.

Congratulations Ball Ventures!
You know, I forgot to mention Candlewood on a previous reply, it too needs to be included in updated pics. You're right N2IF it is in a great location, a good looking building, and hopefully soon we will see more redevelopment south of there.

Check this little nugget of info out.

http://www.snapfitness.com/id/

While I realize these are only small fitness clubs and I understand the location for the Hitt/Sunnyside and Utah/Pancheri sites, I am intriuged in the location of the Ammon/Lincoln Road location. I do know that that area of the county is booming, with all the new houses, apartments, new elementary school, and the new Maverick, has to make me wonder what else might begin popping up in that area. Not more than 2-3 years ago, there was the older homes, a gas station and a few warehouses. Perhaps in another 2-3 years we will see Lincoln Road widened out to the area with commercial lining either side of the road. Could be getting really interesting to watch the outlying, rural areas of the county as Areva and others begin to make their presence known.

Most people would have thought that Snap Fitness is no biggie, but for me the location is what matters here. I wish I could dig up some pics, might be a little more helpful to those who have no idea what I am talking about. Here's a short visualization. Two lane, crumbling roads, weeds, farmland, old houses, abandoned buildings, remenants of a sugar beet factory. That about sums up the area. Think blight. That should about do it.

Well, here's to a better news day, as it has been slow lately.

Oh, and outdoorjunkie, good catch on the location of the Red Robin, I don't get out there much.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:39 AM
Honored Member

Question Wasn't That Area a Possible Costco Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
You know, I forgot to mention Candlewood on a previous reply, it too needs to be included in updated pics. You're right N2IF it is in a great location, a good looking building, and hopefully soon we will see more redevelopment south of there.

Check this little nugget of info out.

http://www.snapfitness.com/id/

While I realize these are only small fitness clubs and I understand the location for the Hitt/Sunnyside and Utah/Pancheri sites, I am intriuged in the location of the Ammon/Lincoln Road location. I do know that that area of the county is booming, with all the new houses, apartments, new elementary school, and the new Maverick, has to make me wonder what else might begin popping up in that area. Not more than 2-3 years ago, there was the older homes, a gas station and a few warehouses. Perhaps in another 2-3 years we will see Lincoln Road widened out to the area with commercial lining either side of the road. Could be getting really interesting to watch the outlying, rural areas of the county as Areva and others begin to make their presence known.

Most people would have thought that Snap Fitness is no biggie, but for me the location is what matters here. I wish I could dig up some pics, might be a little more helpful to those who have no idea what I am talking about. Here's a short visualization. Two lane, crumbling roads, weeds, farmland, old houses, abandoned buildings, remenants of a sugar beet factory. That about sums up the area. Think blight. That should about do it.

Well, here's to a better news day, as it has been slow lately.

Oh, and outdoorjunkie, good catch on the location of the Red Robin, I don't get out there much.
IFGuy,

You are correct that the Ammon/Lincoln Road area is an interesting location to build anything new (commercially). Lots of residential though, in unincorporated 8B, plus isn't it Iona who is so strict in their zoning?

I might be wrong, but wasn't that the general area of one of the previously -scouted sites for the Idaho Falls Costco?

I know about 5-6 locations have been discussed of where Costco should be built in Idaho Falls, when it is built. One more time, the reason that Ammon/Lincoln road would be so appealing is the traffic from Rexburg and Jackson would be closer to Costco than say a westside or southside location.

Areva has already had an impact with International Isotopes announcing their need to expand, BUILD a new facility and employee more people. I'm always proud to see II do well, as an original INL spin-off.

The question becomes for me, is how many companies throughout the U.S. will open a branch office, small plant etc. to have access to these isotopes for medical, industrial and other peaceful purposes?

It is interesting to be ahead of even the building phase and have companies contacting the area to locate a branch locally. Can you imagine how many more will in a year or two?

Anything else new on Hitt?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:01 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Gov. Otter Funds CAES with $2 Million More

I have, after certain announcements, written about Gov. Otter and where his focus is regarding higher education in ID. Besides the blue turf at BSU's football field (as well as expanded athletic facilities), I've had to question if the man understood what major educational opportunities the 3 Idaho universities were losing?

Not long ago, I believe it was Boiseguy, who also agreed with me that if either ISU/BSU/ or U of I (or any combination of the 3) didn't step up to the occassion in Idaho Falls with CAES, let alone Areva now, then a private university would come in a meet the needs. Who knows, maybe what we write gets read occasionally.

There still needs to be a focus on more general college courses and basic classes. But, that is a separate subject, given how Gov. Otter recently made a decision to help fund CAES additionally.

Gov. Otter made a commitment this week in backing world-class education at CAES. He pledged another $2 Million for CAES. Part of what is fascinating to me about his announcement, is he did NOT single out ISU as the only or lead university for CAES. Rather, he named ISU, BSU and U of I as partners, along with INL, DOE and private donors to get this center up and running.

If I understand the details correctly, CAES, about 55,000 sq. ft ( I might be wrong about the sq. ft.), is to open this fall. Completing the bays and labs ares etc. is huge for attracting or expanding other businesses to the area.

So Kuddos to Gov. Otter for THINKING ahead of the immediate future in making a decision! Investing another $2 Million for CAES not only surprised me, it gave me hope that maybe someone is getting through to Gov. Otter what CAES was designed to do. The entire state benefits, if handled correctly. And all 3 Idaho Universities get to be included. Pretty smart idea, from my POV!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 12:51 AM

Red Robin

Hmmm. Interesting information about Red Robin. I've seen that banner on 17th and Hitt but didn't notice the words "Coming Soon" on it. I'll drive by there tonight and see if there are any other signs around the vacant JJ Norths building that's located there.

As for being located somewhere near the Fairfield Inn, that makes a lot of sense based on the early indications I had received regarding a RR coming to I.F. (that did turn out to be true, though I later questioned them after Ruby River opened).

On another topic. I hadn't seen this posted but perhaps I missed it. Does anyone else that posts here have much knowledge on the Cabellas that had wanted to open here in I.F. a few years ago that was basically turned away? Just curious.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:31 AM

Red Robin Followup

WELL - Here is an obvious answer that I could have easily found earlier: http://www.kidk.com/news/local/19441059.html

I went by the old JJ Norths and didn't find a whole lot. But the banners outside just appear to say that Red Robin Supports Idaho Fire Fighters (at least that's all I could see on them). There is a Red Robin banner inside of the building as well lying on the ground but I couldn't make out anything on it other than to be certain it was a Red Robin banner.

Looking up other Red Robin articles, it appears that RR is a big supporter of firefighters and police wherever they go.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFBoiseJunky View Post
Hmmm. Interesting information about Red Robin. I've seen that banner on 17th and Hitt but didn't notice the words "Coming Soon" on it. I'll drive by there tonight and see if there are any other signs around the vacant JJ Norths building that's located there.

As for being located somewhere near the Fairfield Inn, that makes a lot of sense based on the early indications I had received regarding a RR coming to I.F. (that did turn out to be true, though I later questioned them after Ruby River opened).

On another topic. I hadn't seen this posted but perhaps I missed it. Does anyone else that posts here have much knowledge on the Cabellas that had wanted to open here in I.F. a few years ago that was basically turned away? Just curious.
Whats up IFBoiseJunky! I just wanted to comment on your Cabelas thought. I do remember hearing that a few years back before Sunnyside was finished the city told a "major sporting goods store", that they didn't have a definate answer on when the project would be finished. Hopefully this was not a conversation that left a sour taste in Cabelas mouth about the city.

I have often thought that I.F. would be getting Idaho's third Cabelas and most likely would be somewhere near the Sunnyside exit. As big as a draw that Cabelas would be for this region, (East Idaho, West Wyoming) I do think that like Costco, these two companies take there time unlike WalMart and do their projects right and plan accordingly and strike when the coals are hot. I don't know if that made much sense or not. We will see both, it is only a matter of time.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:01 AM

Quote:
I do think that like Costco, these two companies take there time unlike WalMart and do their projects right and plan accordingly and strike when the coals are hot.
Idaho Falls: Home of the smart for letting TWO WalMarts in town.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:15 PM

Here's a link for some good infill and downtown revitilization news.

http://naiglobal.blogspot.com/

And yes, IFTowner, I don't like having two WalMarts in town either but without the one on the westside, would we have that new investment in restaurants and hotels and retail? I would have to say it has been a good draw for companies looking at the area. For all the traffic that Wal Marts create, that is what companies look for, traffic volume, major roads, ect.

Also, it looks like SRL has been going gung ho lately, the new Quad buildings are going up and soon the Hard Hat Steak House will be breaking ground. I just can't wait for the residential part not only at SRL but also the condos and townhouses at Taylor Crossing.

Anyone else heard when the Narrows was supposed to start building? I know they wanted to break ground in May but haven't seen a thing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:29 AM

Just curious IFguy, you have
'IF 2006 population
I.F. City: 56,338
I.F. Metro: 119,396
I.F. Bingham CSA: 162,062' and IF is in the county of Bonneville???

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:20 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®uger View Post
'IF 2006 population
I.F. is in Bonneville County. Bonneville County and Jefferson County make up the I.F. Metropolitan Statistical Area. The I.F. Combined Statistical Area encompasses Bonneville County, Jefferson County & Bingham County.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®uger View Post
'IF 2006 population
Yep, my man jim from the CDA is correct. It is a bit confusing but I decided to include the IF Metro/ Bingham CSA in my sig due to the amount of traffic in Idaho Falls from Bingham County. There might be a chance that Bingham County is included in the IF Metro numbers come next census, I can always hope. Jim, what is the percentage rate that the bureau uses to include counties into MSA's, I know it has been gone over before but I am too lazy to look. Wasn't it something like 25% commute rate?

Anyhow, these numbers I came up with are from recent estimates, especially the MSA and CSA numbers. I calculated the IF City numbers myself based on the 2000 Census and growth rates. I would imagine that by the 2010 census, Idaho Falls will have exceeded the 60K mark, maybe even higher than that due to all the recent job announcements (Areva, Quest, INL related business).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:08 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Jim, what is the percentage rate that the bureau uses to include counties into MSA's, I know it has been gone over before but I am too lazy to look. Wasn't it something like 25% commute rate?
Yes, the commute rate is 25% for automatic inclusion into a metro area and I believe (don't quote me if I'm wrong, it has been a while) the number is 15% for local option inclusion into a metro area. Cd'A had this in 2000 with Spokane---the commute numbers were above 15% but below the 25% automatic inclusion threshold. Spokane wanted Cd'A to be included in the metro, Cd'A leaders and the congressional delegation did not (for various reasons).

Sorry to say, but I doubt that the Bingham-Bonneville commute percentage will be over 25% by 2010 considering it wasn't even at 15% in 2000. We can always speculate though.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Yep, my man jim from the CDA is correct. It is a bit confusing but I decided to include the IF Metro/ Bingham CSA in my sig due to the amount of traffic in Idaho Falls from Bingham County. There might be a chance that Bingham County is included in the IF Metro numbers come next census, I can always hope. Jim, what is the percentage rate that the bureau uses to include counties into MSA's, I know it has been gone over before but I am too lazy to look. Wasn't it something like 25% commute rate?

Anyhow, these numbers I came up with are from recent estimates, especially the MSA and CSA numbers. I calculated the IF City numbers myself based on the 2000 Census and growth rates. I would imagine that by the 2010 census, Idaho Falls will have exceeded the 60K mark, maybe even higher than that due to all the recent job announcements (Areva, Quest, INL related business).
Alright then, I'm good with that

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 6:02 AM
Honored Member

Smile Catchin' Up

Quote:
Here's a link for some good infill and downtown revitilization news.

http://naiglobal.blogspot.com/

And yes, IFTowner, I don't like having two WalMarts in town either but without the one on the westside, would we have that new investment in restaurants and hotels and retail? I would have to say it has been a good draw for companies looking at the area. For all the traffic that Wal Marts create, that is what companies look for, traffic volume, major roads, ect.

Also, it looks like SRL has been going gung ho lately, the new Quad buildings are going up and soon the Hard Hat Steak House will be breaking ground. I just can't wait for the residential part not only at SRL but also the condos and townhouses at Taylor Crossing.

Anyone else heard when the Narrows was supposed to start building? I know they wanted to break ground in May but haven't seen a thing.
I don't know about the Narrows. It's kind of odd how info comes in waves...

SRL certainly has a lot of activities planned for this summer. Public was there today. Certainly there has to be some discussion of living by the river from those who participate or attend the events. I look for some housing units to start this year.

Nice link, IF Guy. I didn't know the Earl building had been purchased. Sounds like new owners have good ideas.

IFTowner, have you seen those ads both for demolition of Nicks Trading Post (I believe that's the property), and the subsequent ad from the city for creating a parking lot? If not, let me know and I'll send you the info. MAYBE someone is getting the drift about off-street parking needed near the city/county buildings etc.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 8:16 PM

Two weeks ago...

Last night...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 1:33 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Changing Horizon

Great Pics, East Idaho. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 2:56 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up A Water Park in TCOR, 5 Story Condo Bldg, Ampitheater- WOW!

Matt Evans, in his 6/23/08 Post Register article about the rest of what is planned for Taylor's Crossing on the River, gave some detailed information. It was good to finally hear how the area is planned for use now.

Among the many buildings, works of art, recreational areas within TCOR, we were told more how the living units would be built. Also, the outdoor swimming pool will essentially create the Bellagio effect of water. It sounds great to me. I just wasn't clear if that was specifically and only for the Marriot guests, or if it was a swimming pool to be used by other residens etc. Please explain what you understood about the swimming pool - I was too excited thinking how beautiful that would be to have the water jets shoot the water up, so close to the river and the Greenbelt.

Lorin Walker, told much more detailed information in this interview. He said basically the Marriott Residence Inn was being built to accomodate the governmental workers who come to work at INL. No restaurant in the hotel, thus why McNeil has worked so hard at securing certain restraunts for their pads. However, no mention of who McNeil had secured for the restaurant spots.

If the MRI is being built primarily for INL workers, then I anticipate another hotel in the not so distant future just for visitors, and those who will work at Areva and other businesses based in Idaho Falls, or expanding to I.F. Marriott is a popular name for people traveling from other states. Two hotels are still planned for south of WalMart, the last that I heard. I still think they will both be different Marriott brands.

Amenities at TCOR focus on making the river and water part of the living/working experience. I'm excited for the ampitheater. I thought at one time SRL was going to have one, but probably not if TCOR has one first.

Finally, we know it is TCOR that is planning the water park for Idaho Falls. Wow, that could be a great experience with the river.

One interesting detail about the 5 story condo building, to be built south of the Marriott Residence Inn, is the size of the condos vary. Starting with simple studios to be as large as 3 bedroom condos, totally new living options, of living on the river in I.F., will become a reality when these condos are built.

I want to leave room and other specific details for others to cover as I want to hear their views of this article.

And, I want to know how everyone thinks this will all fit in with Snake River Landing?

Hmmmmm, which do you think will get built first, the water park or ampitheater? Which do you want built first? Do we know details of what the water park will include? That could be really fun in downtwon I.F. with concerts at night in the ampitheater.

Congratulations McNeil for FINALLY being able to move ahead with TCOR as a high priority of their total work. The Marriott should be open next summer.

East Idaho's pics couldn't have been timed more perfectly.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jun 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM. Reason: To correct the amenities. What a treat to think about!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 8:04 AM

Update

OK, first and foremost, everyone, have a fun, safe 4th of July, and God bless America.

I figured it was time to do a little update on happenings around town.

Candlewood Suites are open now, and it really didn't take too long to get it done.

Marriott is moving along for sure, faster than I would have expected. Although it won't be 13 stories, it is still going to be a tall building, I would suppose taller than the Hilton.

CAES is getting close to being open, soon we can start accepting the next generation of nuke scientist from all over the world. On a side note, it seems that this venture may have been underestimated and there may end up being too many people who want to study and not enough space.

Snake River Landing's pier is completed and the development is moving along more rapidly than I thought it would. The Quad already has it's shell constructed and it will be looking nice very soon.

Also, anyone who may have read about the whole Washington (state) and Areva saga, I may be reading into something, or maybe I am a little bit optimistic but it seemed to me that Washington may lose it's fuel fabrication plant due to not landing the enrichment plant. I read an article that talked about Areva wanting its enrichment and fabrication plants close together so that the cost of transport was low. If I can find the link to the story I will post it here.

Last but not least, the city of Ammon has a liquior store.

Happy Birthday America!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:17 PM

That liquor store is open until NINE on Thursday, Friday, AND Saturday!

WHOOT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West