HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 11:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by upNaway View Post
has anyone got a photo of when the bridge from the wtc connected to the wfc/winter gardens i have always wondered how it looked back then
Wow, if I have any pictures of that, its on 35mm print, somewhere buried deep in a box...I'm sure there's some online somewhere though.

In the meantime, until Gehry's designs for the PAC are released, I'll just post info here:

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...ce-ground-zero
Gehry Jigs for Joyce at Ground Zero

By Matt Chaban
October 6, 2010

Quote:
The Performing Arts Center planned for the World Trade Center site will be supported by a $100 million fund drawn from federal money, according to an announcement by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Governor David A. Paterson and New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

“Our collective desire to put $100 million towards the development of the Performing Arts Center at the World Trade Center site makes clear that the cultural venue is a critical part of the ongoing revitalization of Lower Manhattan,” Mayor Bloomberg said in an e-mailed statement.

Architect Frank Gehry’s firm will design the center. The Joyce Theater, primarily a venue for modern dance, will be its main resident. The space will contain a 1,000-seat theater, a secondary theater, rehearsal spaces, classrooms, a public cafe, outdoor plazas and administrative space.

The money for the center is part of the post-9/11 federal allocation for Manhattan infrastructure.

Although the foundation of the building has been started, principal construction won’t begin for several years. The building is expected to take three years to complete.

Its final budget hasn’t been set, but the cost may reach more than $400 million, not including the $45 million in current foundation work, said Andrew Brent, a spokesman for the mayor’s office. The mayor is founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP.

‘Naming Opportunities’

“There will be a fundraising campaign and some amazing naming opportunities,” said Linda Shelton, executive director of the Joyce Theater, in a telephone interview. “It hasn’t gone unnoticed that David Koch put his name on the New York State theater.”

The Joyce Theater has been presenting American and international dance companies in a former movie theater in Manhattan’s Chelsea district since 1981. The intimate space fits 500 people, half of its future capacity.

“There’s not a bad seat in the house,” said Shelton. “That’s what people love about Joyce, and we have to maintain this.”

The Joyce will be Gehry’s first dance venue, though he designed the 2,265-seat Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles and a 900-seat theater at Bard College in New York, the home of the American Symphony Orchestra, he said.

“Like with the concert halls, you are trying to create an intimacy between the audience and the performer,” said Gehry in a telephone interview. “In the end it’s what it looks like and how it feels and if people like going there and dancers like performing there.”

The center will be on the same foundation as the $2 billion World Trade Center Transportation Hub designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and near the 1,362-foot-tall Freedom Tower.

“It’s such a complicated site,” said Shelton. “When I hear of what it would cost to build some of these towers, I think, we are a little speck.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 12:51 AM
BROOKLYN

So the model above is not the final design of the performing arts center?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
So the model above is not the final design of the performing arts center?
nope,its still in the works thank God..

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:39 AM

My 2 year old made that out of cardboard boxes and tupperware containers, with broccoli thrown on top.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 2:17 PM

Quote:
has anyone got a photo of when the bridge from the wtc connected to the wfc/winter gardens i have always wondered how it looked back then
A bigger, wider version of the south bridge that still exists today. I have at least one picture somewhere that I saved.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:04 PM

Can't they leave out the performing arts center and make a plaza for 1WTC?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
A bigger, wider version of the south bridge that still exists today. I have at least one picture somewhere that I saved.
aww sweet is there a chance of posting it ?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 8:37 PM

Quote:
aww sweet is there a chance of posting it ?
I looked earlier and I couldn't find it. I'll check again in a bit.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:34 PM
Honored Member

I see temp supports for the "East Box Girder" and foundation work for the Northwest "Super column". Weird seeing trees in the middile of a construction site.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

wtc.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Can't they leave out the performing arts center and make a plaza for 1WTC?
or another supertall

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

The Freedom tower will have plazas on both sides. Gehry's PAC is supposed to overhang the plaza, I forget by how many feet.
Remember that the original plan was to have the PAC as part of the tower.

After this month, tree planting will be on hold until the spring...
http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_389/portprovides.html

Quote:
Work on the memorial site is moving along as planned. The steel infrastructure of the memorial museum’s pavilion entrance is now between 60 and 70 percent complete.

“We feel like we’re really gaining momentum,” Ward said of the project. “I think having this completed for the 10-year anniversary will characterize the completion of the memorial.”

Twenty-five out of about 60 swamp white oak trees have been delivered to the memorial site; the remainder will be planted by the end of October, when the project will halt until next spring.

“It won’t simply be a memorial,” he said. “It’ll be a place where office workers grab a sandwich, cut across the plaza on a rainy day as a shortcut to work.” Ward referred to the future 9/11 Memorial as “an incredible oasis of green Downtown.”

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post

My 2 year old made that out of cardboard boxes and tupperware containers, with broccoli thrown on top.
Honestly, that was how my apartment looked just after I had moved in. Substitute the trees with clothes and you got his inspiration.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:33 PM

so does this mean construction will be halted on the entire memorial project or just the trees?

like will work continue to happen on the museum, transportation hub, etc?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 11:00 PM

the only reason the they are stopping planting trees is that they can't plant them in the middle of the winter...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 1:17 PM

A few more going in this morning...

The right time to move trees is Sept/October and Mar/Apr (depending upon whether it's a been bitter winter.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 10:28 PM
BROOKLYN

Woah the museum took shape...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
A few more going in this morning...

The right time to move trees is Sept/October and Mar/Apr (depending upon whether it's a been bitter winter.
It will be very interesting to see how long those trees last. Street trees in NYC have it very rough.

Does anybody know what the trees are planted in or how much space there roots will have to grow?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post
It will be very interesting to see how long those trees last. Street trees in NYC have it very rough.

Does anybody know what the trees are planted in or how much space there roots will have to grow?
They'll be fine. There's been a citywide initiative for years now to plant trees - even in places where people don't want them. As far as what these trees are planted in, an arcitle from a couple of pages back...
http://www.constructiondigital.com/s...-memorial-site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture