HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:27 PM

wow, that's gorgeous.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:38 AM

Impressive build site. It makes the Chicago Spire look like a pot hole. I have to admit, I'm jealous that the chinese can build so much faster and build much grander buildings than my fellow americans. Oh well, time to pass the torch to the new super power of the world.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 9:36 AM

by paul cowel

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 10:20 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautier.c View Post
hi,

I’m a french student intern in Shanghai and I stumbled upon this forum. As I see there are not many photos of the construction, I moved on saturday to see that.

I think these few pictures will interest you.

I was able to enter the site after a long time negotiating with the workers that he gives me his helmet (obligatory) and so I could reach the hole.

I go back during the month of march if you're interested.

From Jin Mao Tower:

In the place:

Gautier
Belles photos!

Bienvenue à ce forum et j’espère que vous postez plus photos!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardroark View Post
Oh well, time to pass the torch to the new super power of the world.
Not yet. Wait until the downturn is over...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:22 AM

Thanks threehundred

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:33 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardroark View Post
Impressive build site. It makes the Chicago Spire look like a pot hole. I have to admit, I'm jealous that the chinese can build so much faster and build much grander buildings than my fellow americans. Oh well, time to pass the torch to the new super power of the world.
Actually , for as impressive as it seems , China has a long , long way to go although it is getting there fast.
At current growth rates it'll be 20 years at best before China can match the US GNP. That's not even touching on GDP. All the same , I think its inevitable that China will become the number one superpower before the century is out (providing the trend is maintained)
With that said , try not to forget the scale here. It's much easier for China to build these buildings than it is for so many other countries for a number of reasons.
Firstly , China is doing now what we've been doing for centuries. We've already built the things we need for the most part. In China's case , the floodgates are just opening. The demand , therefore , is present now as it was in the West years ago. Once the market saturates (and eventually it will) , coupled with the law of diminishing returns , the Western pattern of skyscraper development will be the norm here as well.
Secondly , a company with a 100 million customers in China still only commands %8 of the market. In The U.S. , it's %30 . For the purposes of this point , there's no need to think about exchange rates and their impact on skyscraper construction. What I mean by that is that 200 million yuan will buy you the same building in China that 200 million dollars will buy you in the U.S.
China , unlike the Middle-Eastern skyscraper theme-parks , has a market-driven need for these things. It also has a serious lack of space in the places it needs space the most. They have no choice but to build up instead of outward. Since they can afford to build 100 storey super towers and campus-style construction a-la Indian model is out of the question , it's a foregone conclusion that China will build super towers at every available opportunity. It's not just an expression of the ego here , it also happens to be a practical solution to a problem borne of necessity.

In any case , it's unlikely that anybody else will be entering into the super-power game any time soon. For that reason , even if the Chinese manage to gain global economic supremacy , the US sphere of influence is pretty much guaranteed to never contract to less than the English-speaking world (with it's vast and untapped resources) , the Westernized democracies , and the Western hemisphere. China's hegemony is pretty much limited to Eastern Asia and that may or may not include India (probably not)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 10:47 AM

SHANGHAI TOWER 2.02BY JAMYAN

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 4:25 AM

It seems shanghai has no downtown to walk about in, just 3 giant useless skyscrapers separated by 6 lane roads.

Sad.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It seems shanghai has no downtown to walk about in, just 3 giant useless skyscrapers separated by 6 lane roads.

Sad.
I bet a lot of cities wish they had three similar giant useless skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 5:16 AM
Khan

^ Pudong is only one of Shanghai's business districts. The rest of the city is one of the most urban, walkable, and hectic cities on earth. Hardly sad. You can't judge a city of 20 million people based on a few photos.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 5:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^Yup.

This is one district (the newest) of many in Shanghai.
Gotta love some of these blanket statements by SSP forumers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:28 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
^ Pudong is only one of Shanghai's business districts. The rest of the city is one of the most urban, walkable, and hectic cities on earth. Hardly sad. You can't judge a city of 20 million people based on a few photos.
I'm going to keep harping on this until people get it right - LUJIAZUI is the business district. It's about 32sq. km, accounting for only 3% of the entire Pudong district (which is over 1000 square kilometres).

Much of Pudong is WAY more walkable than Lujiazui, to say nothing of the urban heaven that is found just on the other side of the river in Puxi.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:44 AM
Khan

^ Duly noted. What can I say? I was a Beijinger, not Shanghainese. The point still stands however.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:32 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
^ Duly noted. What can I say? I was a Beijinger, not Shanghainese. The point still stands however.
Agreed. Judging an entire city on the basis of a few photos of the least pedestrian friendly district in the entire inner city is just silly.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:56 PM

The twin towers in LUJIAZUI 220metres

the north Bund

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:59 PM

Shanghai center 2010.2.5 by jamyan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^Yup.

This is one district (the newest) of many in Shanghai.
Gotta love some of these blanket statements by SSP forumers.
this new district judging by the photos looks like the only nice spot, and its not even walkable so yeah it does seem sad for a major city.

and no, having a nice down town and shops and cafe's is much better than 3 skyscrapers awkwardly stuck together. we are most likely the only handful of people who even care to look things up about skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 3:46 PM
be nice to the crackheads

*Sigh*

Shanghai pretty much shites on most cities in North America (save a select few) when it comes to a true urban experience. Its absolutely obvious you have never been here or possibly never even seen pictures of Shanghai outside of this construction thread, so I'm gonna risk looking like a self-promoter and drop a couple links of my most recent photos of Shanghai. I'd recommend looking at it. It may enlighten you.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163209

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=177882

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:31 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
this new district judging by the photos looks like the only nice spot, and its not even walkable so yeah it does seem sad for a major city.

and no, having a nice down town and shops and cafe's is much better than 3 skyscrapers awkwardly stuck together. we are most likely the only handful of people who even care to look things up about skyscrapers.
Yikes. Shanghai has more "shops and cafes" than any American city by a magnitude of two or three. Remove NYC from the equation, and that becomes a magnitude of at least ten. You couldn't be more wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive