HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 2:38 PM

Speaking of the Monroe Street Market, here are some photos I took during the Coalition for Smarter Growth's Brookland walking tour: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208046 . These tours are very enjoyable and I encourage people to participate in them next spring.

The Monroe Street Market is a very attractive development and reminds me of Bethesda Row. Overall, I was very impressed with Brookland and consider this to be one of the best up-and-coming neighborhoods in DC. There were a lot of young families on our tour who noted that Brookland is a very affordable alternative to the Hill, we're several of them previously lived.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 8:19 PM

Richard Florida calls Washington a “boom town of the new economy”

Richard Florida calls Washington a “boom town of the new economy”

By Jonathan O’Connell
Washington Post
Oct. 17, 2013

"In the October issue of the Atlantic, author Richard Florida argues that the recession created a series of winning and losing cities and regions in America and that the Washington area is one of the biggest winners.

Florida, author of “The Rise of the Creative Class,” suggests that because of its wealth, education and growing technology sector, Washington’s economy could overtake Chicago and Los Angeles on some measures.

That brings us to Washington, D.C. As the urbanist Aaron Renn wrote recently, Washington is well on its way to becoming America’s “second city,” on track to displace Chicago and Los Angeles “in terms of economic power and national importance.” Greater Washington has had among the nation’s lowest rates of unemployment, the most-stable housing prices, and high overall job growth since the crash. A whopping 59 percent of all new jobs created there since 2009 have been high-wage jobs, second only to San Jose. The Washington metro area includes six of the 10 most affluent counties in the nation..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z5

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:01 PM

Futbol!

There is a meeting scheduled for this Wed., Oct. 23, from 7-9 PM to discuss the proposed soccer stadium at Buzzard's Point. The meeting will be held at Arena Stage.

This link has more information: http://southwestquadrant.blogspot.co...s-planned.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 6:50 PM

Whole Foods is coming to the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood

After many rumors, Whole Foods officially announced this week that it will be opening a store along New Jersey Avenue, SE. We live in the apartment building directly across the street from this but it won't open until...2017.

Whole Foods Makes it Official; Updated Rendering

Image courtesy of JD Land.

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...ted-Rendering/

Whole Foods Signs Lease For Navy Yard
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...navy_yard/7643

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 6:54 PM

Newest Plans for Massive Randall School Project in SW

This is also excellent news, as although there is a lot of growth planned for Southwest, the area immediately around this has a lot of Section 8 housing and is a rough neighborhood. Hopefully this development improves the area around Half Street.

Newest Plans for Massive Randall School Project in SW

October 22, 2013
Urban Turf
By Shilpi Paul

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"On Monday night, the team behind the redevelopment of the Randall School stopped by the ANC 6D meeting to reveal the newest plans and renderings.

The massive project, which will encompass the vacant Randall School building and the surrounding space on a large lot at Half Street and I Street SW (map), will bring a contemporary art museum and over 500 residential units to the neighborhood. A public courtyard will sit between the buildings, and a restaurant will occupy the eastern portion of the historic building. An underground parking garage will have room for 245 spaces, as well as electric car charging stations, bike parking and car sharing areas..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ect_in_sw/7721

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:24 PM

Schedule Wednesday off from work...

Beer drinkers, prepare your arms: Bluejacket to open on Tuesday

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...en-on-tuesday/

What a beautiful site! Bluejacket, I drink you up!

I had their 'Suede' beer this past weekend at Churchkey. I need to get the vegetables out of our refrigerator to make room for some of the Bluejacket bombers.

Quote:
"Large-format bottles of Bluejacket beer will be available for take-away at the Navy Yard location. Bluejacket will not sell growlers....

What beers will Bluejacket debut with? Among them: Forbidden Planet, a dry-hopped kolsch made with Galaxy hops; the Scarecrow, a hoppy saison; the Imposter, a session rye IPA; Tooth & Nail, an imperial IPA; Figure 8, a wee heavy made with local figs and modeled after pastry chef Tiffany MacIsaac's figgy toffee pudding; and James & the Giant, a Belgian strong blonde ale with local peaches."

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Oct 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 12:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I was in DC last weekend. was impressed with how filled in 14th street is now, just in the two years since I've been back...besides just the condos, there were dozens of new businesses. The area around the homeless mission/aids clinic/verizon building (?) is developing quickly as well, this was always a no-mans land before. 3x as busy pedestrian wise, and 10x as busy w/ bikes.

It's unfortunate that nothing can really be done about the 14th and mass traffic circle. Truly, that is the most boring intersection in Washington. The ugly marriott and CVS to the south, and NAHB building are awful.

14th up to Columbia Heights was largely the same as last time, just tons more condo buldings (no more Nehemiah shoping center). North Capitol and Noma on the other hand seems to be filling in, but more slowly than the SW waterfront (although still gobbling up parking lots at a quick rate). Seems NPR building lot is still...parking. I liked the NY Avenue public art and improved bridge as you come into town, but further out of town NY Ave is still a mess of fast food joints and sleazy motels.

Seems there were some big new condos north of the NIH and the beltway/wisconsin ave,. North Bethesda was also booming with some new buildings along wisconsin.

Shirlington was hopping at night, but no new construction. Wonder if this area is more or less built out now. Big new condo in Del Ray going up, next to the "Mr Wash".

Amazing that whoever owns the Hahn Shoes/Nat Bank of Washington building on 14th and G hasn't managed to renovate that property. Literally throwing millions away.

anyhow the parts of the metro area I saw were exploding with construction, cranes everywhere. Go Washington!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
life is good

I'm super excited for the Elevation building to open at Ny Ave & FL. Already just having it there topped out has made such a difference in the feel of that intersection.

Bluejacket looks incredible. Hopefully they can live up to the hype. The WF looks great, but 2017? That sucks.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
life is good

Mixed-use project on former Greyhound bus terminal land has name, groundbreaking date

http://www.elevationdcmedia.com/devn...ss_102413.aspx
Quote:
The project is known as "Storey Park," and is expected to break ground in June 2014, about six months later than initially planned, due in part to a slowdown in the office market.

Perseus is partnering with First Potomac Realty Trust on Storey Park, which will have 350,000 square feet of office space but also 300 apartments and 65,000 square feet of retail, including a restaurant.

The building will also have an elevated park open to the public, which a landscape architect is currently designing, Cohen says.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 8:24 PM

The Bond at Tenley

Demolition of some of the site of Babes' Billiards in Tenley has started. This building has been vacant for nearly a decade and it is great to see progress on this. Douglas Development plans on building 60-70 condos here, as well as retail and at least one restaurant. This building will have no off-street parking for residents.

Here is a link to photos of the demolition: http://tenleytowndc.wordpress.com/20...ld-babes-site/ .

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 8:29 PM

dc_denizen:
Quote:
The ugly marriott and CVS to the south, and NAHB building are awful.
Haha! I used to work at NAHB when I first arrived in Washington.

Quote:
Amazing that whoever owns the Hahn Shoes/Nat Bank of Washington building on 14th and G hasn't managed to renovate that property. Literally throwing millions away.
I absolutely agree. This could be an attractive building if it was restored. I don't know why, at the very least, the owners don't rent it for office use.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:57 PM

L'Enfant Plaza

I assume 'Federal Triangle South' is L'Enfant Plaza. I have never heard of this term. Anyways, this hearing might be of interest.

Federal Triangle South: Redeveloping Underutilized Federal Property Through Public Private Partnerships

Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management | 2253 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515 | Nov 19, 2013 10:00am

http://transportation.house.gov/hear...public-private

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:27 PM

Jose Andres is taking over the would-have-been-Wagamama space in Penn Quarter

I can't wait to have sweet & sour pollo a la brasa!

Jose Andres is taking over the would-have-been-Wagamama space in Penn Quarter

"While the menu for China Chilcano is in development, the list will include a variety of ceviches, fried rice dishes, potato salads and dumplings. Mostly traditional Chifa (Chinese-Peruvian) dishes, says the chef, “but we’ll be pushing the envelope, too...”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-penn-quarter/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:05 PM
life is good

Made it to Bluejacket yet?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Made it to Bluejacket yet?
I haven't but we're going to go on Saturday. We watched the high heel drag race on Tuesday instead. Have you been? One of my friends was there for opening day.

As per JD Land, Buzz Bakery is opening today as well: http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...ermaker-Shops/.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 2:29 PM

New hotel planned for Southwest

Hyatt Place Coming to 400 E Street

Image courtesy of 'Southwest... the Little Quadrant that Could.'

"E Street Development Group sent a press release today announcing that Hyatt Place will be the operator of the 214-key hotel planned at 400 E Street. The hotel will be called Hyatt Place DC Capitol/National Mall and its entrance will be on E Street, along with space for ground floor retail. A new firehouse for Engine 13 will be on the 4th Street side of the building. This will be the second Hyatt Place hotel to open in the District – one is under construction in NoMa on New York Avenue, NE...."

http://southwestquadrant.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:33 PM

Bluejacket, I drink you up! We're going to enjoy these beers this Saturday.

So you’re planning to visit Bluejacket this weekend
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-this-weekend/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:34 PM
life is good

Looks so freakin' good!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:16 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Hyatt Place Coming to 400 E Street

Image courtesy of 'Southwest... the Little Quadrant that Could.'

http://southwestquadrant.blogspot.com/
this looks like it would be very very unpopular in the neighborhood

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
this looks like it would be very very unpopular in the neighborhood
Not really. The 11-story square box is standard DC architecture, this site is right against I-395, and Federal Center SW is about as sterile a neighborhood as you'll find in DC. This is also directly across the street from the Metropolitan Police Department's crime and forensics lab.

I'd be more concerned about having a fire station on the first floor of the building if I was a guest at this hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations