HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 5:17 PM
Project manger

I see this " study " ( the third on the location ) will be completed in 2 weeks. Then maybe we can move forwards and get this built.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post

I see this " study " ( the third on the location ) will be completed in 2 weeks. Then maybe we can move forwards and get this built.
From what I know, this study was meant to be completed at the end of April, but now they're saying end of May.

Might be far fetched but could the University be manipulating the study somehow in their favor to show the location they want?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 5:46 PM

I forgot about that study. Ya seems over due for sure. Lets get this built already! Can't believe TRU is bitching so much about the location. The City has it right on this one.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:22 AM

I think they have 2 more floors to go

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:32 PM

Looks like the Duchess site is moving along quickly now that the demo is done: https://www.radionl.com/2024/06/06/118821/

Here is a updated Tranquille Market Corridor List. Am I missing anything?

Thompson Landing x 2 (Under Construction)
Innova x 2 (Construction starting this summer)
Red Sea Auto x 1
Jamaican Kitchen x 3
Brendan Shaw x 1
Duchess x 2 (Under Construction)
501 Tranquille Rd x 1 (Completed)
562 Tranquille Rd x 1 (Under Construction)
Co-op x 1
Interior Community Services x 1
Country Auto x 2

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:04 PM
Project manger

Campbell ave just had their dirt turning ceremony today as well ( 6 floors ) .

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:30 PM

Is the Interior Community Services building at 400 Tranquille? If so, I see they put a sign up that says "Now Tendering". So that should be starting in a couple months.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:45 PM

I was able to get 3 projects in this picture. The duchess on the left is now completely demolished. You can see a pile of steel and rubble still there. The Confluence building on the right which just started construction yesterday where the excavator is, and Thompson Landing on the river in the background.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:53 PM

Thanks VantageHD for the photo. Took me a bit to figure out what I was looking at.

Yes, 400 Tranquille is Interior Community Services. Might end up with 5-6 active project at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 10:04 PM
Project manger

I see the rezoning application is up for a 12 floor mixed use building at 360 Columbia street I believe.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 11:43 PM

Proposed retail development for the old penny pinchers building (800 Fortune Drive). Was hoping for a decent sized apartment tower but oh well

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 2:51 AM

At this point, anything will be better than the eyesore that’s there now. Although they should have made high density in a that prime location

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:06 AM

Another rendering of the Campbell Avenue Building, (idk the real name)
IMG_6310 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/199945330@N08/]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:27 PM

I don't think that commercial development is happening. That was the same proposal from probably 10 years ago that the city said no to because they wanted a "landmark" building at that location. In my opinion that would be perfect for that location; but instead city planners want an abandoned building on one of the busiest corners in the city for the foreseeable future. Our city planners are really not that good at what they do.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:29 PM
Project manger

Nimbys strike again in Kenna Cartwright Park neighbor-hood

28 unit project that requires the shaving down of a slope at the park. Contractor will fix the slope after the project, but now a small group is complaining at the idea.

SHOCKER.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:37 PM
Project manger

Kamloops council mulling new bridge to north shore

It seems the City of Kamloops has quietly been looking at a third bridge across the Thompson River into north Kamloops.

Speaking to Radio NL amid the traffic tie-ups brought on by Thursday’s crash involving a police motorcycle on Fortune Drive, Councillor Stephen Karpuk says council recently authorized staff as part of a meeting in April to start looking at potential options for a crossing west of the Overlanders Bridge.

He says they’ve identified a couple of potential sites west of the original Singh Street concept, which was scuttled a number of years back.

“You potentially come around the back side. We’re thinking of Kenna Cartwright. I mean, that’s a possibility that’s being explored,” said Karpuk. “Commuting time from Aberdeen Mall to the north shore, theoretically, 17 to 20 minutes.”

Karpuk did say that cutting a route through Kenna Cartwright Park itself is not being considered, calling it a “sacred gem” in the community.

“An alternate route, further south. Perhaps south of where we currently find our sewage treatment plant for the City, and ending up – perhaps – west of KRCC,” he said.

“You look at the traffic mapping and the modelling about what would be the commute time if people had to go around and down, so to speak, rather than directly the routes that we take in the present time, they’re not far off on what one direction [would be] versus the other.”

Possible route and location for a third bridge across the Thompson River to North Kamloops, according to suggestions from Councillor Stephen Karpuk/via Google Maps

In Dec. 2021, the City awarded a contract to McElhanney Ltd. to study potential locations for this new bridge. It’s not clear if that study has been completed, as no details have been made public at this time.

The original plan for the Singh Street Bridge was to wait until the population of Kamloops hit 120,000.

However, Karpuk says council wants to be more proactive than that.

“We’re not gonna sit and wait for that mark. We want it in advance,” said Karpuk, noting the history of access to the Kamloops north shore.

“When Mr. [Phil] Gaglardi, way back in the day… I think it was 1958, came up with the concept of building Over landers Bridge. If you go back to the census of 1961, when it was completed [..] I believe the records show that if you added up all of Tranquille, Brocklehurst, North Kamloops, the Westsyde Rate Payers Association. I think BC Fruit Growers also had some land in there, and what would be known as Westmount, it was 3,623 people,” noted Karpuk.

“So he built, and had the visioning, for what the city would need, and there was only 3,600 people and change on that side of the river, and he built a four-lane bridge.”

So far no timelines or cost estimates have been released publicly by the City of Kamloops.

- Radio NL

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:00 AM

Maybe that will motivate Kelowna to build a second bridge.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:32 PM

That bridge location would be great. The traffic the other day was at a standstill at every thoroughfare. There was no option to get around. Things will only keep getting worse. Good to hear they're starting to plan for another crossing and that location would be great for the 2 new business parks being built on either side of the river. Would get truck traffic out of downtown too!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:46 PM

Looks like you were right on the money RHINO regarding the new 12 story downtown. https://infotel.ca/inhome/12-storey-...lodge/it105174

I found these renderings online: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/matth...alSubdomain=lk

Right city, architect and size but can't confirm that its the same project. The linkedin post mentions that all contractor and consultant have been selected so maybe a pretty serious proposal.

12 stories by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:32 PM
Project manger

Nice work Tom, very good digging to find that !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia