HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 1:51 AM

Aaaaand....

Cue the NIMBYs!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 8:52 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrophile View Post
Cue the NIMBYs!
Right!? It will never happen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 2:40 PM

Do you have any actual evidence of NIMBY opposition? I listened to an early NPU meeting about it and all sentiments were positive, and the NPU specifically said they want to be careful not to stand in opposition to the project, since they'll lose the ability to influence the design if they oppose the project.

The tricky thing about this site specifically is that it straddles the Va-Hi and Morningside/Lenox Park NPUs. Almost all of the site is in MLP, but the most impacted SFHs are in Va-Hi.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Do you have any actual evidence of NIMBY opposition? I listened to an early NPU meeting about it and all sentiments were positive, and the NPU specifically said they want to be careful not to stand in opposition to the project, since they'll lose the ability to influence the design if they oppose the project.
Well that's good news. I was of the impression NIMBYs would try to kill this too, with this being around single family homes and in a traffic-choked area already.

I find it funny that Portman opposes BeltLine rail yet they want to build a project like this where transit would absolutely make it better for everyone involved. Add in the Ponce and Irwin developments to this too.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 5:31 PM

[Portman] Amsterdam Walk

Portman just dropped a ton of renders and info for their Amsterdam Walk proposal. Don't have the time to pull the images out and put them in here, but check out this article. At the bottom of the article is their slide deck.

https://roughdraftatlanta.com/2023/1...ackyard-views/

Forgot to add that it seems Portman may be reconsidering their opinion on beltline rail. Prominent in the renderings is the rail line and stop. Very nice plaza that connects the development to the Beltline and streetcar stop as well.

Last edited by Sojourner_Terminus; Oct 2, 2023 at 5:33 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:05 PM

interesting that portman is serving as the developer, but not the architect? (which is instead SOM? does gtjared have any beans to spill? lol)

Quote:
Forgot to add that it seems Portman may be reconsidering their opinion on beltline rail. Prominent in the renderings is the rail line and stop. Very nice plaza that connects the development to the Beltline and streetcar stop as well.
well that's awesome to hear.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
interesting that portman is serving as the developer, but not the architect? (which is instead SOM? does gtjared have any beans to spill? lol)
It seems like Portman has pivoted hard towards being a developer. With their main focus being the beltline. They have this Amsterdam walk development, their Ponce development and the Irwin/Krog intersection developments. I don't think they were the architects on any of those.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 1:47 PM

BeltLine office rents break record

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...portunity.html
Quote:
Brand new office buildings along the BeltLine’s Eastside Trail are setting historic high rents for the city that could not shake $40 per square foot around a decade beforehand. The average gross asking rental rate of newly delivered and under-construction vacant space on the Eastside is within the $65-$70 range, according to data from Cushman & Wakefield.

The overall Eastside micro-market averages around $50 a foot, according to Cushman. In comparison, West Midtown averages $47.83 a foot, and Class A properties in the core of Midtown averages $45.20 per square foot. The total metro Atlanta market is $32.16.
660 Irwin

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 4:03 PM

Wow, that's actually insane.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
It seems like Portman has pivoted hard towards being a developer. With their main focus being the beltline. They have this Amsterdam walk development, their Ponce development and the Irwin/Krog intersection developments. I don't think they were the architects on any of those.
These are two completely different companies. Both originate from the same founder but they have separate leadership teams, investors, and missions:
Portman Holdings https://www.portmanholdings.com
Portman Architects https://portmanarchitects.com

I wouldn't read too much into Portman Holdings leaning on other talented design firms to help deliver their projects.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLarchitect View Post
These are two completely different companies. Both originate from the same founder but they have separate leadership teams, investors, and missions:
Portman Holdings https://www.portmanholdings.com
Portman Architects https://portmanarchitects.com

I wouldn't read too much into Portman Holdings leaning on other talented design firms to help deliver their projects.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Portman Holdings Beltline strategy is honestly brilliant. Its amazing how they've managed to snap up quite possibly the most well placed un/underdeveloped lots on the eastside trail. I just hope they move quickly on the Ponce and Irwin phase II projects. Seems like they should be starting soon if they intend to start at all this development cycle.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 4:31 PM

Georgia Tech Moves Forward with Plans to Construct New Student Housing

Quote:
The University System of Georgia Board of Regents recently approved Georgia Tech’s proposal to construct a new student residential facility on campus to accommodate first-year enrollment growth over the next 10 years and enable the Institute to undertake improvements to its existing housing inventory.

“This will be Tech’s first new construction since 2005

The new facility will be located on the west side of campus along Northside Drive between Eighth and Ninth streets. At an estimated $117,000,000 cost to construct, the nearly 191,000-square-foot residence hall will contain approximately 850 beds, which will aid in the housing of students who are relocated due to renovations on existing residence halls.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
Portman just dropped a ton of renders and info for their Amsterdam Walk proposal. Don't have the time to pull the images out and put them in here, but check out this article. At the bottom of the article is their slide deck.

https://roughdraftatlanta.com/2023/1...ackyard-views/
I am LOVING this and the fact that SOM has started the development focused entirely on the ground level. And as a result, its a great development before the actual buildings are finalized. EVERY single development in Midtown and Downtown should do the same and be held to this standard.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I am LOVING this and the fact that SOM has started the development focused entirely on the ground level. And as a result, its a great development before the actual buildings are finalized. EVERY single development in Midtown and Downtown should do the same and be held to this standard.
I agree, It looks fabulous. The ground level retail, massing of the buildings and the plaza that interfaces with the Beltline are all perfect. I really really hope that neighborhood pushback and/or economic factors don't kill or neuter this project.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 6:07 PM

Rambler street level rendering

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:13 PM

Haven't heard much on the Murphy Crossing Culdesac project since it was announced, but they applied for a planning permit for some townhomes:
1121 Allene Ave SW
Culdesac (Owner) proposes to build a nineteen-unit new, FOR SALE townhouse development at the corner of Allene Ave and Warner Street. It is bordered by an alley on the west side. The site was previously developed, but it currently vacant and no building remains other than a foundation slab. The site is zoned I-MIX. It is less than one acre. There is no on-site parking, but we are proposing to modify the curbline to allow for five street parking spaces. The townhouses will be in three buildings. The two buildings fronting Warner will be three story, with live-work units on the ground floor. The third building runs along the southern property line, and is two story (including the short end facing Allene). Each building is roughly 5,700 sf, for a total building area of 15,680.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:30 PM

Building permit filed for 229 Auburn Ave NE. This is the "Sweet Auburn Grande" development.

LAND DISTURBANCE ACTIVITY FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT CONSISTING OF 108 DWELLING UNITS AND APPROXIMATELY 11,500 SF OF COMMERCIAL SPACE IN 1 BUILDING

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:55 AM

Bring on that new housing for downtown

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 3:01 AM

Oh my god, they are actually saving that brick building on the corner?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 8:15 AM

I am really not a fan of these block sized housing projects.

Last edited by bryantm3; Oct 19, 2023 at 8:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta