HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I thought Subway kind of pulled the rug out from under Quiznos once they started offering toasted subs back around 15 years ago. Seems to me that Quiznos started flatlining around then.

Speaking of sub chains, whatever happened to Blimpie?
My god Subway needs some competition. I'd love to see more Quiznos, or something like Jimmy Johns up here.

Even Panera!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
My god Subway needs some competition. I'd love to see more Quiznos, or something like Jimmy Johns up here.

Even Panera!
No question Quiznos is much better in every way than Subway. Strange that it has turned out that way.

In some European markets Subway bread does not meet the standards that exist to be labelled as bread. It needs to be called cake due to its high sugar concentration. The chicken is a product that we believe and hope originated from chickens at some point in its manufacture or at least a substantial portion of it. However it is hard to tell by taste. At least the veggies all appear to be natural food products.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 11:57 PM

As I get older, I'm less likely to eat a sub, but the latest brand we have been trying is Firehouse Subs. Reminds of Quiznos from 20 years ago. Quiznos eclipsed Subway for us back then, and Subway was that to Mr Sub in the 80's. I haven't had a Mr Sub in probably 35 years and it seems like most locations outside of a mall have closed. I have seen some open up lately though, usually as part of a gas station convenience store setup.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
As I get older, I'm less likely to eat a sub, but the latest brand we have been trying is Firehouse Subs. Reminds of Quiznos from 20 years ago. Quiznos eclipsed Subway for us back then, and Subway was that to Mr Sub in the 80's. I haven't had a Mr Sub in probably 35 years and it seems like most locations outside of a mall have closed. I have seen some open up lately though, usually as part of a gas station convenience store setup.
The only subs I have had in the last few years have been from a grocery store called 88 Market in Vancouver. There are Vietnamise subs. Bread is crusty and baked in house. They have a connected deli counter to the sub counter that has specialty Italian hams. Amazing how good a sub tastes with cilantro and shredded carrots and an Asian sauce.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 1:31 AM

I tried Quiznos a few months ago and It was pretty awful. Maybe cause we got takeout, and it was not very good by the time we got home, also they are very cheap on the toppings, a very small amount compared to Subway.

Safeway has some good sandwiched you can get made in store.

Does Mr Sub still exist in Canada? There is one still in Vancouver, pass it but never gone inside. Mr Sub was my first time ever trying a sub sandwich back in 1993 when I was living in Kingston, I was quite hooked after that.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 1:36 AM

^ Yep! Mr. Sub is still prevalent in Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I tried Quiznos a few months ago and It was pretty awful. Maybe cause we got takeout, and it was not very good by the time we got home, also they are very cheap on the toppings, a very small amount compared to Subway.

Safeway has some good sandwiched you can get made in store.

Does Mr Sub still exist in Canada? There is one still in Vancouver, pass it but never gone inside. Mr Sub was my first time ever trying a sub sandwich back in 1993 when I was living in Kingston, I was quite hooked after that.
Yes, Mr. Sub is still around. https://mrsub.ca/

I agree Safeway is good. In Victoria I use to work close to a Safeway and would get one of the subs sometimes for lunch. The Vietnamise chicken. The Safeway stores in Victoria became Save-On-Foods and they lost access to the secret sauce. Stopped going there after that.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
I thought Subway kind of pulled the rug out from under Quiznos once they started offering toasted subs back around 15 years ago. Seems to me that Quiznos started flatlining around then.

Speaking of sub chains, whatever happened to Blimpie?
Interestingly the Blimpie brand is owned by the same Quebec-based company that owns Mr Sub as well as a bunch of other chain restaurant brands.

Link: https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 3:09 AM

The sandwiches Safeway makes are pretty much the only reason to go to Safeway.

For Vancouverites, that Safeway in West Van in Caulfield Village right off Hwy 1 seems like it was made for hikers/climbers to buy sandwiches before heading up the Sea-to-Sky highway.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
The sandwiches Safeway makes are pretty much the only reason to go to Safeway.

For Vancouverites, that Safeway in West Van in Caulfield Village right off Hwy 1 seems like it was made for hikers/climbers to buy sandwiches before heading up the Sea-to-Sky highway.
The Safeway in my neighbourhood has a fairly disappointing deli. I don’t think it’s a full service one like other Safeways.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 12:26 PM

My favoured sandwich place in KW for the longest time was a local Italian grocery story, Vincenzo's, where you could get a sandwich made up at their deli counter for $5. I just checked, and these days it seems to be quite a bit more expensive, but it was a fantastic option and considering the sandwich quality, reasonably good value.

https://www.vincenzosonline.com/lunchbuilder/sandwich/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:19 PM

I've rarely ever purchased ready to eat food from Safeway, but I have definitely noticed that they have a bit of a cult following.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:28 PM

I forgot to mention Vancouver does have one really good deli/sandwich shop, on Commercial Drive - La Grotta Del Formaggio. They were closed for months due to renovations, but they re-opened over the summer. They don't do toasted subs like Quizno's, but their sandwiches are still worth the money. They're a full deli, they're known best for their sandwiches but you can also buy deli meats, cheeses, and some Italian groceries such as anchovy paste.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I've rarely ever purchased ready to eat food from Safeway, but I have definitely noticed that they have a bit of a cult following.
They have/had amazing in-house fresh donuts too.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Yes, Mr. Sub is still around. https://mrsub.ca/

I agree Safeway is good. In Victoria I use to work close to a Safeway and would get one of the subs sometimes for lunch. The Vietnamise chicken. The Safeway stores in Victoria became Save-On-Foods and they lost access to the secret sauce. Stopped going there after that.
thanks for the link, the one on east broadway is one of two in BC, and the other is in Houston BC.

I wonder if Jimmy Johns will come to Canada. Bellingham has three, I do want to try them someday. They also have Port of subs down there too.

jimmyjohns.com

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thanks for the link, the one on east broadway is one of two in BC, and the other is in Houston BC.
That one on Broadway has probably been there for at least 40 years. I remember the one on Broadway being there from when I was a kid. That said I don't think I have ever been inside.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Word is starting to trickly out on the next-generation Zellers stores. One will be opening at Les Promenades Gatineau near my place.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Word is starting to trickly out on the next-generation Zellers stores. One will be opening at Les Promenades Gatineau near my place.
So Zellers coming back is real? I keep hearing mixed messages about this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:50 PM
I am the law!

I think my last Subway sub is when they still cut the wedge out of the top of the bun rather than in half. Anywho, Subway was better than Mr Sub besides all the fixings being stuffed into the wedge. You can get sandwiches just about anywhere. They are as good, usually better than the chain sub stores for cheaper.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I think my last Subway sub is when they still cut the wedge out of the top of the bun rather than in half. Anywho, Subway was better than Mr Sub besides all the fixings being stuffed into the wedge. You can get sandwiches just about anywhere. They are as good, usually better than the chain sub stores for cheaper.
Yep, agreed. A sandwich with fresh bread and ingredients is not to be underestimated!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada