HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:27 PM

It's Allegiant to Bellingham and Provo.

EDIT - Bellingham is actually a pretty cool destination. Closest airport to Vancouver we'll ever see.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:16 PM

Some additional information on the two Eastern lots in the Mission district. The development is being referred to as "The Bautista" and will be a partnership between Mission District Partners and Aerie Development.

The Bautista - Aerie's Site

The Bautista - Architect's Project Site

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 6:30 PM

Big news. Few details.

https://tucson.com/news/local/engine...2dd0a0669.html

Quote:
Engineering firm bringing 300 jobs to Tucson

Axiscades, an India based engineering firm, is coming to Tucson with plans to hire 300 people over the next five years, officials announced today.

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey was in Tucson for the announcement Friday.

The firm serves heavy equipment, mining and other industries. Munjay Singh, the firm's CEO, called Caterpillar the 'primary customer' for Axiscades.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I know of a proposed building at 75 E. Broadway that could house these employees...

Good for Tucson!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
I know of a proposed building at 75 E. Broadway that could house these employees...

Good for Tucson!
That would be great. Initially, they'll be in the Transamerica Building, but I don't know if there's enough space there for all 300 employees. It may not be sufficient long-term for other reasons, too.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
There is a rumor that a second company is going to announce 100s of jobs as well. Supposedly related to Caterpillar like this one

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
There is a rumor that a second company is going to announce 100s of jobs as well. Supposedly related to Caterpillar like this one
Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:19 PM

It was announced. Engineering firm from India called Axiscades. I'm hoping they can be persuaded to commit to space in the new, speculative, 75 E. Broadway, which would make that project more viable.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:42 PM

Mercado/Mission Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Some additional information on the two Eastern lots in the Mission district. The development is being referred to as "The Bautista" and will be a partnership between Mission District Partners and Aerie Development.

The Bautista - Aerie's Site

The Bautista - Architect's Project Site
It's been a challenge over the years to know exactly what is happening with the development of the Mercado and/or Mission Districts. For a bit of history:

The original Mercado District at Menlo Park (south of Congress and west of Avenida del Convento) was designed by urbanist architects Moule & Polyzoides in the early aughts, with about 100 residential lots to be built out by five different developers/builders. Those lots are about half built out at present, although a few of those original builders have left and sold their parcels to the ones who stayed.

The area between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River (to become known as the Mission District) was contracted out by the city to The Gadsden Company to be developed, with the following site plan eventually created in 2012:

(courtesy: The Gadsden Co.)

With many announced groundbreakings that never happened due to the recession and other factors, the city became frustrated and transferred title to those parcels to Rio Nuevo to hopefully get things moving. Since then, the streetcar has been finished, and RN has partnered with Gadsden to get the MSA Annex built, and is now building the Caterpillar offices just to the south, which has jump-started further interest in the area.

However, a new website for the Mercado District (apparently by The Gadsden Company) https://mercadodistrict.com/, shows the former Mission District as now part of the Mercado District (perhaps just to keep things simple?):

(courtesy: Mercado District)

From the earlier posts, it now looks like Gadsden is partnering with Aerie development to build out parcels D & E of the Mission District as The Bautista, or Bautista Plaza--an apartment/retail complex also designed by Moule & Polyzoides (M&P). However, the new Mercado map only shows the project on Parcel E, rather than both D & E as shown by Aerie and M&P renderings. Also, Aerie refers to the project as being in the Mission District, while M&P erroneously refers to it on their website as in the "new neighborhood of Rio Nuevo."

Additionally, Cushman & Wakefield apparently has a listing for Parcel F (http://www.suncorridorinc.com/SunCor...e.pdf?ext=.pdf) as a build-to-suit site for lease. The following map from their listing also shows Parcel B to be built out as the Menlo Park Commons--33k s.f. of retail with a 500-space parking garage--none of which is mentioned on the new Mercado map:

(courtesy: Sun Corridor)

Also, the name of this announced project with Aerie seems rather curious (The Baptist? Baptist Plaza?), as the Mission District was named in honor of the now demolished Catholic Mission San Agustin a few blocks south. (Maybe a reference to John the Baptist, or a part of local history I am unaware of? Hmmm....)

So, this long development story continues, but hopefully at a quicker pace going forward. However, as with most local developers, I'll believe a project is really happening when I see shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Also, the name of this announced project with Aerie seems rather curious (The Baptist? Baptist Plaza?), as the Mission District was named in honor of the now demolished Catholic Mission San Agustin a few blocks south. (Maybe a reference to John the Baptist, or a part of local history I am unaware of? Hmmm....)
It is an interesting choice for the name of an apartment complex. It may be a reference to Juan Bautista de Anza, Colonial Governor of New Mexico in the 1700's who was named as commander of the Presidio of Tucson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Bautista_de_Anza

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
It's been a challenge over the years to know exactly what is happening with the development of the Mercado and/or Mission Districts. For a bit of history:
Scrambling seems to be the Gadsden way but any progress is better than no progress. *cough*HSL, Norville, etc.*cough*

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:55 PM

Rio Nuevo agenda has an item to discuss participation in a project with “Monier Investors”. Possibly that garage/retail piece? Maybe the apartments are finally moving forward? Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Rio Nuevo agenda has an item to discuss participation in a project with “Monier Investors”. Possibly that garage/retail piece? Maybe the apartments are finally moving forward? Guess we will find out tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure it's the apartments. Plans were approved earlier this year but no permits filed yet.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the apartments. Plans were approved earlier this year but no permits filed yet.
I hope this finally happens. It has been on the "proposed" list for 5+ years

Last edited by crzyabe; Aug 28, 2018 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:26 PM

Rio Nuevo: The Monier Building Moves Forward, Armory Park Upgrades In The Future

Looks like the Monier needed a $2.4 million loan from Rio Nuevo in order to get off the ground. The Board approved the loan and now the plans to go HUD for review. If approved, the project will be in construction before the end of the year.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:50 PM

Just popping in, Looks like the Nikolai electric truck factory is going in just outside of Eloy, which means the Northern suburbs of Tucson will probably see more of an economic impact than phoenix Will now.

Just an Fyi https://www.pinalcentral.com/coolidg...205f39557.html

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Just popping in, Looks like the Nikolai electric truck factory is going in just outside of Eloy, which means the Northern suburbs of Tucson will probably see more of an economic impact than phoenix Will now.

Just an Fyi https://www.pinalcentral.com/coolidg...205f39557.html
I couldn't get your link to take me to an article.

I found this article about it, saying the factory was being built in Coolidge, which is closer to the southern suburbs of Phoenix (Chandler) than it is to the northern suburbs of Tucson (Marana).

https://www.pinalcentral.com/coolidg...205f39557.html

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I couldn't get your link to take me to an article.

I found this article about it, saying the factory was being built in Coolidge, which is closer to the southern suburbs of Phoenix (Chandler) than it is to the northern suburbs of Tucson (Marana).

https://www.pinalcentral.com/coolidg...205f39557.html
Look at where its being built, https://goo.gl/maps/WjsRSLj8scD2

its in "coolidge" but its closer to Tucson

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Look at where its being built, https://goo.gl/maps/WjsRSLj8scD2

its in "coolidge" but its closer to Tucson
Their corporate headquarters will be in Phoenix for what it's worth.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:40 PM

Sorry to return to a previous subject. After some research, reading, and pondering, I am extremely disappointed with the city of Tucson's intention to let a bland, suburban apartment block be built on the site of La Placita Village. The area of the TCC and La Placita Village used to be more or less the downtown/epicenter for the Mexican and to a lesser extent other minority's half of Tucson. La Placita Village is named after La Plaza de la Mesilla, a tree lined plaza surrounded by businesses that was the center of Tucson cultural life before the 1960s. Festivals used to be held there. The plaza was kin to all the other plazas that are the center of countless Latin American towns. The gazebo is all that remains of it. The area was the most densely populated area in the state until the urban renewal projects in the 1960s(Otero) left us with the underwhelming convention center, parking lots, and La Placita Village (a pretty ugly epic failure). I won't even delve into the racism and whitewashing of history that were pretty plainly evident in these decisions. Obviously the TCC is not going anywhere, but Tucson finally realized La Placita Village was a rainbow ghost town and decided to turn it in to what... An apartment block? Really?
I'm just saying the city had the opportunity to do something cool and meaningful and once again is seriously blowing it. I really had no idea all this history existed down there just south of Broadway and I wish more people did.

Otero, Lydia R. La Calle: Spatial Conflicts and Urban Renewal in a Southwest City. Univ. of Arizona Press, 2010.

Last edited by sheep unite; Sep 12, 2018 at 7:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest