HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Hasn’t the price of a Big Mac also not really changed much anyways? It’s been around $5 for as long as I can remember.
I remember a Big Mac combo being $4.99 in the second half of the 1990s when I worked at McD's. And there would sometimes be a promotion where the combo was $3.99. I believe the combo now costs around $10.49 to $11.99 at most locations. Maybe somebody can confirm if I'm correct or not.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'd say it's in a dead heat with The Captain's Boil.
What an awful name. I call it 'The Captain's Wart'

Even more awful is what they serve. Boiled Seafood with boiled sides, in a fucking plastic bag.

tripadvisor

Vile

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I remember a Big Mac combo being $4.99 in the second half of the 1990s when I worked at McD's. And there would sometimes be a promotion where the combo was $3.99. I believe the combo now costs around $10.49 to $11.99 at most locations. Maybe somebody can confirm if I'm correct or not.
I remember 99cent Big Mac deals, common in the mid/late eighties. There were no combos (called 'trios' in Quebec) back then....these came out around 1990, and a typical combo ('large' sandwich +med fries +med coke) was about $3.99.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:45 PM

A big mac combo undiscounted is north of $12 now.

McDonalds has always been overpriced for their full combos for what you get though - it's insanely easy to coupon through their app for something much cheaper. Combo some coupons and the discount burger menu (McDouble, Jr Chicken, etc.), and I rarely spend more than $5-7 for a meal at McD's. Just have to be willing to change up your order a bit to match what coupon is available.

McDonalds shines in the value category in that way - they aren't worth the $12.

I always had a soft spot for Harvey's - I like the fries and find the toppings taste fresher than most places which really elevates it, even if the patty is meh. Definitely above McDs.

I was never a fan of Wendy's, too greasy for my likes, particularly the baconator since you combine the bacon grease with the already overly greasy patties. I always end up feeling like crap afterwards.

Burger King is the worst of them, but I've grown fonder for it recently.

A&W is best for quality, but a teen burger combo is $13 now so you gotta be willing to shell out.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Even more awful is what they serve. Boiled Seafood with boiled sides, in a fucking plastic bag.

tripadvisor

Vile
OMG. Those are expensive ingredients that if properly prepared should be tasty. Who in their right mind would deliver them as takeout in plastic bags.

The Captain need to stick to fishing and stay out of the kitchen. Given he Captain is based out of Toronto not certain if he is even authentic.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
I remember 99cent Big Mac deals, common in the mid/late eighties. There were no combos (called 'trios' in Quebec) back then....these came out around 1990, and a typical combo ('large' sandwich +med fries +med coke) was about $3.99.
Ha...it's amazing how those numbers can be seared in your brain. I remember in the early 90s a Quarter Pounder combo came to $4.27 with tax in Manitoba. It was a special junior high lunchtime treat

I would be lucky to tell you within two dollars what it costs now... like $10.99?

Quote:

tripadvisor

Vile
Hard pass. I guess some people like the novelty of eating seafood with hands or whatever, but I have never been despite having one in my neck of the woods for several years before it finally went under.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Hasn’t the price of a Big Mac also not really changed much anyways? It’s been around $5 for as long as I can remember.
A Big Mac in BC is currently $6.08, as shown in the app.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:41 PM

Some pics of the Apple Flagship unveiled:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/appl...opening-photos

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:53 PM

What is that staircase? And what's its origin and destination?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What is that staircase? And what's its origin and destination?
It at the back of the store and goes from the first to the second floor.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:49 PM

The new Apple flagship was a great idea for that corner, such a prominent Vancouver intersection, and replacing a rundown rotunda made it even better. I am surprised just how long construction took for a relatively simple structure, it was being worked on for so long you'd think it was much more elaborate design. But I actually think it turned out better than the renderings suggested, which is likely due to the high quality of glass and wood. IMO made all the difference between a meh building and one worthy of a flagship. I would have loved something super ground breaking and weird, but that really wouldn't have fit and probably never would have happened anyways

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The new Apple flagship was a great idea for that corner, such a prominent Vancouver intersection, and replacing a rundown rotunda made it even better. I am surprised just how long construction took for a relatively simple structure, it was being worked on for so long you'd think it was much more elaborate design. But I actually think it turned out better than the renderings suggested, which is likely due to the high quality of glass and wood. IMO made all the difference between a meh building and one worthy of a flagship. I would have loved something super ground breaking and weird, but that really wouldn't have fit and probably never would have happened anyways
There are large ads all over Vancouver for the new Ryan Reynolds Christmas film on Apple TV+, which launched the same day as the store opening.

I wonder if that was intentional, considering that Reynolds is a native Vancouverite.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:14 PM
Cap the Cut!

It's been good to see CBC doing some reporting on pricing in the retail industry these last few days. Sometime a sale is not a sale and retailers are becoming more and more sneaky. I went into Mark's work warehose recently. Guess the price reduction on the mens athletic shose in this picture:

20220830_095932_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Well it wasn't $40.00. I stopped the sale mid processing as the cash register was indicating higher than I was expecting. I asked that they either remove the price reduction sign or remove the product from the shelf and they refused blaming it on 'head office'.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:

tripadvisor

Vile
Imagine the amount of bisphenols you'd be consuming from this....

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 7:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Imagine the amount of bisphenols you'd be consuming from this....
"A little dioxin never hurt anyone"

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I must admit that this is the most unappetizing meal I have ever seen in my life.

And the presentation............

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:45 PM

So I was driving along Marine Drive in South Vancouver on Monday, and what do I see? A brand new Quizno's that recently opened, in the recently built Fraser Commons. Based on the reviews, I'd say it opened in June.

Street View link

I've only heard about Quizno's closing its restaurants over the past 10 years or more, and the one in New Westminster I've been to a couple times is very run down and looks straight out of the year 2000. Since when are they expanding again?

EDIT: Sure enough, there's an article about this; it's a prototype store, so it would seem it's a new concept for the chain that is being tested.

https://biv.com/article/2022/07/new-...e-global-chain

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
So I was driving along Marine Drive in South Vancouver on Monday, and what do I see? A brand new Quizno's that recently opened, in the recently built Fraser Commons. Based on the reviews, I'd say it opened in June.

Street View link

I've only heard about Quizno's closing its restaurants over the past 10 years or more, and the one in New Westminster I've been to a couple times is very run down and looks straight out of the year 2000. Since when are they expanding again?
Sometimes dying franchises get a second wind when a new master franchiser takes over and tries to resurrect the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I must admit that this is the most unappetizing meal I have ever seen in my life.

And the presentation............
What, the plastic bag o' seafood parts doesn't whet your appetite?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sometimes dying franchises get a second wind when a new master franchiser takes over and tries to resurrect the brand.
There's also the nature of the Vancouver market; there are very few toasted sandwich restaurants here. Across the border there's Potbelly in Seattle and Portland, and there's also Jersey Mike's which is found all over the eastern US and has also made its way into London and Kitchener. We don't have that kind of competition in BC so that helps Quizno's, I suppose.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:15 PM

I thought Subway kind of pulled the rug out from under Quiznos once they started offering toasted subs back around 15 years ago. Seems to me that Quiznos started flatlining around then.

Speaking of sub chains, whatever happened to Blimpie?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada