HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 3:40 PM

Record Temperatures set over Labour Day

Last weekend was a scorcher, which made me think of the city's outdoor pools. I'm sure it's budget-related or something; but why the hell do they shut them down before Labour Day weekend?

I can understand not having them open through September. September tends to cool down quick, and with the kids back there wouldn't be as much demand for them.

But having them all closed before the Labour Day weekend seems to be a stupid idea. Labour Day is the traditional End of Summer holiday, when people would want to do Summer things like swimming. Most Labour Days are more than hot enough to want to go swimming too.

But instead of having them open, the city closes the pools down at the end of August; Royal Road's pools were bone dry when I was by there yesterday. It may be just me, but closing so early feels short sighted. The Summer is short enough as is, and most of the pools don't open until July to begin with, or at least not until School is out. They surely could afford to leave them open an extra week until school goes back in.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:49 PM

The City did extend the pool season by an additional week for several of the wading pools in town. Also added extra family hours to the indoor pool. Killarney Lake was also available. The primary issue with the outdoor pools is finding enough qualified staff to person these facilities for that period. As the majority of lifeguards are University students and they have either left town or are taking time off prior to the commencement of their own studies. I believe if the life guards were available then the city would be open to leaving one or two open for a longer period. However keep in mind that the city would have to commit to the extended opening well in advance and risk having inclement weather and no clients to serve

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
There's a proposal before the PAC to convert the The City Motel into an assisted living facility. It looks like the building would get a significant facelift and addition: http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...sources/B2.pdf

Proposed four unit townhouse to replace an older house that was torn down on Charlotte Street recently: http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...sources/D2.pdf
I think the Regent Street development is long overdue.

On another note I wonder if the owners of the Fredericton Inn have any upgrade plans in mind given that the new Hampton Inn will be opening and that the Best Western, Amsterdam Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn have all upped their game with recent upgrades. The Fredericton Inn has "location" and would be great for a taller structure.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:06 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Record Temperatures set over Labour Day

Last weekend was a scorcher, which made me think of the city's outdoor pools. I'm sure it's budget-related or something; but why the hell do they shut them down before Labour Day weekend?

I can understand not having them open through September. September tends to cool down quick, and with the kids back there wouldn't be as much demand for them.

But having them all closed before the Labour Day weekend seems to be a stupid idea. Labour Day is the traditional End of Summer holiday, when people would want to do Summer things like swimming. Most Labour Days are more than hot enough to want to go swimming too.

But instead of having them open, the city closes the pools down at the end of August; Royal Road's pools were bone dry when I was by there yesterday. It may be just me, but closing so early feels short sighted. The Summer is short enough as is, and most of the pools don't open until July to begin with, or at least not until School is out. They surely could afford to leave them open an extra week until school goes back in.

Someone who has had an inground pool in my family my whole life pretty much. normally labor day I don't remember sitting around in a pool like I did yesterday, normally its cold from what I can remember. I am sure we had to make a few minor cut backs, We did buy a strip club and bought a lease on the old irock. But like Freddy posted lifeguard are probably gone back to school as well. Probably a mixture of everything

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:14 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I think the Regent Street development is long overdue.

On another note I wonder if the owners of the Fredericton Inn have any upgrade plans in mind given that the new Hampton Inn will be opening and that the Best Western, Amsterdam Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn have all upped their game with recent upgrades. The Fredericton Inn has "location" and would be great for a taller structure.
I heard the Fredericton inn did some recent upgrades to their rooms in the past year. As per Trip advisor.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:10 PM

Report on the Benefits of Replacing the Playhouse.

Some numbers:

Quote:
A report by a Université de Moncton economist estimates the construction of a new regional performing arts centre to replace the Fredericton Playhouse will create 714 jobs and contribute over $141 million to the economy.
And from later:

Quote:
The report estimates that the ongoing operation and use of the proposed facility would be responsible for an additional 101 permanent jobs and an annual $15.5-million injection into the economy.
Considering what has been said about the current Playhouse, I'd be supportive of replacing it. The two locations suggested are good choices.

I'm partial to the waterfront location myself, since it would be a good lynchpin for the plans for St Anne's Point in general, and it could help 'spread the love' for Arts events through downtown. (Currently with the Museum, the Playhouse and the Convention Centre all side by side by side, it feels a bit tight there... which may or may not be a good thing)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:13 PM

Related to Skyline Acres, signage is finally up for Canterbury Plaza on the former Raymonde's General Store land. Sign confirms earlier rumors of 1st floor commercial, 2nd floor residential. There will be 6 commercial units, including potentially a convenience store that would end Forest Hill Convenience's now-one year monopoly on the area.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Report on the Benefits of Replacing the Playhouse.

Some numbers:

And from later:

Considering what has been said about the current Playhouse, I'd be supportive of replacing it. The two locations suggested are good choices.

I'm partial to the waterfront location myself, since it would be a good lynchpin for the plans for St Anne's Point in general, and it could help 'spread the love' for Arts events through downtown. (Currently with the Museum, the Playhouse and the Convention Centre all side by side by side, it feels a bit tight there... which may or may not be a good thing)
I am heavily supportive of the waterfront location behind City Hall as well. Figure that the Irving property is too strategic in that it will eventually be developed at some point anyway

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 11:14 PM

Was talking to some people on the way home tonight about Regent mall.

Apparently, some of the big owners were visiting the mall recently and saw that Craft store (Primitive Country or whatever) and were pissed off about it or something. There was a big argument between the Mall owners and the store owners about it, and eventually the store agreed to move. As the signs show, they're going downtown where "Savour Decor" was (Next to Ross Drugs).

No real idea of what's going into that big chunk of mall space. Someone mentioned they heard Shoppers might be interested in that space, but that doesn't make sense; not with the just expanded location on Prospect.

I suspect Calendar club will grab one or two of the slots soon for the Christmas season, and come the new year someone will wall them all up and start building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:35 AM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Was talking to some people on the way home tonight about Regent mall.

Apparently, some of the big owners were visiting the mall recently and saw that Craft store (Primitive Country or whatever) and were pissed off about it or something. There was a big argument between the Mall owners and the store owners about it, and eventually the store agreed to move. As the signs show, they're going downtown where "Savour Decor" was (Next to Ross Drugs).

No real idea of what's going into that big chunk of mall space. Someone mentioned they heard Shoppers might be interested in that space, but that doesn't make sense; not with the just expanded location on Prospect.

I suspect Calendar club will grab one or two of the slots soon for the Christmas season, and come the new year someone will wall them all up and start building.

I think you have to stop listening to the people on the bus. That is far from the truth. There was no fighting or arguing involved. Everyone knows the Calendar Club takes up an empty store pretty much every year. Shoppers will not be coming to the mall, I can pretty much confirm that.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:23 PM

Well Calendar Club will always take a store slot if one is available. If none are available, they go with the middle of the hallway stores. Since we're weeks away from them setting up, it looks like they'll have their choice of store slots to grab this year; it's very UNLikely that whoever is going to grab that big chunk of mall-estate will start before the new year. Assuming Eclipse's renovations are done in time, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab that Hallmark slot again since the store seemed to be a good size for them last time. If Eclipse isn't moved in time, then they'll probably grab Payless's old slot.

As for the Shoppers comment; it was just repeating what was heard, and everyone (including the person who mentioned it) agreed that the idea was absolute bollocks. But on the flip side, there doesn't seem to be any other rumours for who might want that stretch. The fact that that stretch was emptied out (with 2 tenants moving elsewhere in the mall) does seem to indicate Primaris has some plans for that block.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:54 PM

City council approves the parking lot addition to the Picaroons site in Carelton Park.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:06 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Well Calendar Club will always take a store slot if one is available. If none are available, they go with the middle of the hallway stores. Since we're weeks away from them setting up, it looks like they'll have their choice of store slots to grab this year; it's very UNLikely that whoever is going to grab that big chunk of mall-estate will start before the new year. Assuming Eclipse's renovations are done in time, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab that Hallmark slot again since the store seemed to be a good size for them last time. If Eclipse isn't moved in time, then they'll probably grab Payless's old slot.

As for the Shoppers comment; it was just repeating what was heard, and everyone (including the person who mentioned it) agreed that the idea was absolute bollocks. But on the flip side, there doesn't seem to be any other rumours for who might want that stretch. The fact that that stretch was emptied out (with 2 tenants moving elsewhere in the mall) does seem to indicate Primaris has some plans for that block.

See on facebook last night that David tea signs were posted in the Regent Mall. It will be interesting to see the two tea companies battle it out.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:11 PM

On the Mall website, they have David's Tea as a Coming soon (October 1st).

The mall directory map seems to show them setting up at the Sports Check end of the mall, near where Blacks used to be. (Or maybe where Blacks used to be; the map isn't really exact).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:18 PM

Across the hall from the former Blacks is David's Tea. Across from where Spencer's is now(hey, need a bong and a dildo at the mall? Spencers!) Zoinks.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:20 PM

Right, I forgot Spencers took over Blacks (I think). David's Tea is going into the the old Cintanimon (sp) location. At least it's still selling things to keep you warm.

Should be an okay enough location; close to the bus entrance for quick trips and such. Boosterjuice seems to be doing well in that location so the Tea shop should do fine as well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:28 PM

I like my tea to be....well, tea. But my wife loves that loose leaf, flavoured infused stuff. She said David's Tea will crush Teavana. She said it's no competition for flavour, the selection, etc.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I heard the Fredericton inn did some recent upgrades to their rooms in the past year. As per Trip advisor.
Had friends stay at the F'ton Inn in July. Those rooms were tired and worn looking. Maybe they hadn't upgraded those rooms yet?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:19 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Had friends stay at the F'ton Inn in July. Those rooms were tired and worn looking. Maybe they hadn't upgraded those rooms yet?
Maybe not all of them. I know I went to a wedding there a few months back and some of the rooms did look recently renovated and I remember them saying they got one of the update rooms. Probably small business doesn't have the cash to do it all at once, like a big chain hotel.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:33 PM

Good to know that they are keeping up with the competition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces